PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Getting a Beginner bow.

Crazy.kayaker
03-18-2010, 07:48 PM
So I've had my guns for hunting for 2 seasons, going on 3 seasons now and I think I'd like to try hunting in a more quieter and traditional way that doesn't end up with hearing a ringing noise after I tag out. I would like to know from the people here what they think is a good starter bow for someone who has NO idea about bows. I've started to look at them lately and think it would be nice to try out bow hunting. I'm not looking for a top of the line rig but I'm also not looking for a POS setup. I'd like something that is right in between that will not break the bank and will let me know if I like hunting with it. Can I get some advice on how to find out about proper fit, and anything else I'll need to know about would be great! If there are any books or websites to go and read about the works, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to start my own research too, but bows are confusing so I'll take any help I can get. I forgot to put in I'm a southpaw and my brother would also want to try out the bow and is a right hand so if possible something ambidextrous but if not a southpaw setup as I'd use it the most.

CK

Bow Walker
03-18-2010, 08:01 PM
For something in the way of a starter - you could do a lot worse than this package. Not too pricey, but a real nice bow for hunting.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46365

This one is also a good one.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47696

Rectifier
03-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Well I just did all this research! Ordered my bow today.

As far as I see for fit, the best start is to go to a bow shop and start drawing bows to find your draw weight and a bow that feels good in your hand... and your draw length will be around your wingspan/2.5, fingertip to fingertip.

I ended up choosing the PSE Stinger package because it seems to be a well respected beginner's hunting bow, and the package has better parts than a lot of other "beginner" packages. New for $600 "field ready" w/arrows, case and all from a local shop.
I was also leaning towards the Diamond Razor Edge, but the word on the street is that the other parts that come with it are crappy and should be replaced. I just wanted to buy something that "just works" for my first bow since as you say all this bow stuff is a little confusing at first. I didn't want to hunt for a bunch of parts.

Bow Walker
03-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Bow "packages" do come with (relatively) inexpensive accessories/add-ons - they pretty much have to so as to keep the whole price reasonable.

That being said - "packages" will give you all you need to get started (you will probably have to buy a release) and to go hunting. You won't need to buy anything for at least a year, maybe two.

By then, you'll know what changes you want to make and you should know a lot more about shooting, accessories, and what specific parts that you want to upgrade.

But for that first season or two, you'll be good to go - with a lot of practice beforehand, that is.

Crazy.kayaker
03-19-2010, 03:03 PM
thanks I'll have to go up and talk to the bow guys at the 2 hunting stores hope they can help me out in picking out a package rig I like is there any websites I should go to for checking out what might be the best setup for me or just do hands on? Or am I over thinking this...

Bow Walker
03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
You may actually be "over-thinking" the whole thing a tad, but too much info is definitely better than not quite enough.

Here's a link to an info friendly site. http://www.huntersfriend.com/ Lots of good reading and information there for you.

Rectifier
03-19-2010, 10:25 PM
FYI, the PSE field ready packages come with a release (Tru-Fire Hurricane).

Crazy.kayaker
03-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Went up to WSS here and talked to the bow guy there since they didn't have much in the way of south paw bows he gave me a card for a guy in Chase to check out who is mostly archery I think I will also check out Grouse River which happens to be one of my favorite stores around. Got an idea of what I'm looking for now though I haven't settled on a make or model just yet. I'll let you all know what package I'm thinking of getting before I get it so you can tell me if I'm getting a deal on it.

Bow Walker
03-21-2010, 10:02 AM
http://shop.eaglearchery.com/browse.cfm/4,9708.html

I always try to shop local. But. If "local" can't match a deal or doesn't want to - I'll head south and pick it up there.