PDA

View Full Version : snow level around kamloops

chris
03-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi everybody does anyone have any info on snow pack around kamploops. The wife and I want to get away to do some shed hunting and bear scouting this weekend but dont know what to expect on the hills. If anybody has some idea as to rough elevation the snow is at I would be gratefull. Thinking red lake or that direction anyway. I have already seen a few bears around my neck of the woods over the last couple weeks have any been showing themselves out that way yet?
thanks
chris

Jelvis
03-17-2010, 07:17 PM
chris hey dude I live up here in dah loops and I can tell you the bears are out early about two weeks or so .. it's warm and the snow level is non existent on south slopes even the north side of Greenstone which is usually all white is losing it's snow way early. Greenstone is close to 6000 ft.
You will find nice sheds if you hike ridges in winter range and you will find ticks so bring a first-aid kit on your belt. Put your pant legs inside your socks and wear lighter color clothing so you can see them better.
Insects are coming out already. There's no snow and MOF is talking early fire season up here, the airtankers are ready two weeks earller than normal, the drought is feared in the region.
Anyways good shed hunting in the Kamloops area with deer antler sheds sprinkled through the many forest trails..for your chance to get a matching pair of 200 typical mule deer buck with extreme luck ..
jElvis .. Kamloops is Hunting .. sheds, cougar kill, and real hunting season for real big game.
Like goose hunting too .. up the north thompson a ways .. lesser canadas

chris
03-18-2010, 05:20 AM
wow I thought the lack of snow was more of a regional issue didnt realize it was bad everywhere. Thanks for the info

Darksith
03-18-2010, 12:11 PM
don't listen to jelvis, there is waist deep snow everywhere, hope you got snow shoes

Jelvis
03-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Snow level? There's no snow and that's on the level ... dry winds warm and sunny just gorgeous weather tomorrow the last full day of Winter.. and it's like Spring time now .. it's 7-30 pm and just getting dark .. longer days finally
I'd try north face of Greenstone Mtn above the turnoff to Duffy lake and you will have your eyes opened ... deer country .. bear .. moose .. cougar
Jel can't see better country than that it's breathtaking ... got game ...

doubled
03-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Jel is straight for once on this one. Not much snow around.

M.Dean
03-18-2010, 08:12 PM
We've got around 3 feet a little higher up from here, the snow maybe gone from some area's but not all,so take a shovel and good luck!

swampdonkey
03-19-2010, 08:17 AM
still lots of snow up around dominic was up at my cabin last week on my sled rode from my front door paska lake to dominic

rutting buck
03-19-2010, 08:40 AM
I live out in wesyde and have been going out for the last few weeks in the Noble, O'Connor,Jameison area's and down low there definitely isn't much snow but you don't have to go very high and boom your from no snow to 2 ft of snow just like that.I've seen no bears yet but have found a few sheds one realy nice matching set 4x3 scoring close to 170 ,and have seen a few bucks still holding on one or both sides.

Ltbullken
03-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Main snow level starts at about 4400' (Sun Peaks anyway). Patchy up to then.

chris
03-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Well I found no sheds. However I did see 3 bull elk still sporting headgear. The largest was a 6x6, too far for pics to turn out though.

snareman1234
04-01-2010, 07:33 AM
anybody know what its like in clearwater, like up in Wells greay park
might go up there this weekend, stay below 3500' sort of thing?