PDA

View Full Version : June on Bowron Lake

Tuffcity
03-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Doing a a trip on Bowron Lake chain the first week of June. Any hints, tips, suggestions for flys, etc?

cheers,
RC

stroh72
03-17-2010, 04:56 PM
I did the Lakes in June last year. Six of us took our fly gear with not a lot of luck. We ran into 3 or 4 parties with collapsible rods and tackle and they could ate tons of fish every day. If I went to do it again in June thats what I'd take.

srupp
03-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Green Doc Spratley..and Black Doc Spratley...attractants

Leech..shrimp..and Yellow 52 Buick...

Srr

308Lover
03-18-2010, 09:37 AM
It'll be cold. You and the water. Sinking fly line, black leech, or blood leech, also Rupp's spratleys. Bright on dull days dull on bright days LOL
Red on anything. Slow is key, if you're VERY lucky you may see some "finning" but that's rare in June. Have a nice trip--rise early and camp early, wind won't bother you. Enjoy!

Tuffcity
03-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the replys, guys.

308: I guess I better break out the tying gear and also pack my woolies. :) Just hoping it doesn't rain the whole time. ;)

RC

BCrams
03-19-2010, 09:47 AM
The best kept secret for good fly fishing within the entire Bowron Chain is Hunter Lake. (Accessed from Sandy Lake) Plan to spend an extra night at Sandy and carry your canoe up to Hunter Lake for the day. It will easily be your best fishing day the entire trip.

There's one other for bull trout where you can catch them nearly every cast all day to your hearts content up to 15 lbs but you'll have to find that one ;)

kgriz
03-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Bowron Lakes in June......take a shotgun

Twobucks
04-10-2010, 10:15 AM
I forget the names of hte lakes now - but about ten years ago we did the circut in early Sept. The large lakes as you turn south and back west were really cold and had lots of glacial silt. But the smaller lakes as you turn back north toward home looked the most promising.

One paddling tip though: we were all experienced canoeists and joked about the "dangerous rocks" toward the end of the large east-west lake on the bottom of the circut. But if there had been even a little chop on the water, we probably would have plowed into them at full speed. Seriously, keep your eyes open along that stretch.

But awesome trip - saw moose and goats and would love to go back and do it again. Have a blast!

Tarp Man
04-10-2010, 01:53 PM
June means the bears are out. A clean camp and proper bear etiquette is mandatory. In June the bugs shouldn't be too bad, but be prepared for cold temps and wind.

Arctic Lake
05-09-2017, 08:51 PM
This is an old thread but thought I would ask for some information . Going to do the Bowron Lakes middle of August .

#1 I'm not a fly fisherman but I could always troll something with a sinking line, any advice ?

#2 As far as trolling with regular lures or spin casting could you fellas offer some advice ?

Thanks Very Much !
Arctic Lake

ASPEN
05-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Big Flatfish , frog patterns or black with silver specs- some big trout in those lakes specially Isaac lake

Ron.C
05-10-2017, 10:38 AM
We did it the last week of May. We caught some monster trout at the bottom of Isaac lake where it dumps into the caribou river. Also caught some big trout at the mouth of various rivers. We used small spoons and vertically jigged. Was deadly. Saw lots of moose, a few black bears and a few Griz.
Stick close to the shore on the big lakes. It blows up very fast and you can go from dead calm to large waves in no time.

Have a great time. One of the best trips I have ever done

Arctic Lake
05-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Thanks for your reply Aspen !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
05-11-2017, 07:29 PM
We did it the last week of May. We caught some monster trout at the bottom of Isaac lake where it dumps into the caribou river. Also caught some big trout at the mouth of various rivers. We used small spoons and vertically jigged. Was deadly. Saw lots of moose, a few black bears and a few Griz.
Stick close to the shore on the big lakes. It blows up very fast and you can go from dead calm to large waves in no time.

Have a great time. One of the best trips I have ever done

Thanks for the information Ron C. !

Looking forward to the trip !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
05-12-2017, 01:32 PM
If any of you fellas have anymore information it would be greatly appreciated !
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Ron.C
05-12-2017, 01:47 PM
When you check in with BC parks, you choose your campsites. Highly recommend #21 on Isaac lake. It's right across the lake from Betty Wendle Cr. Awesome fishing at the mouth of the creek.
#31 at the Bottom of Issac lake. There is a covered shelter here with a wood stove. We caught our biggest fish right here, 100 yards from camp . And you can run the rapids a pile of times for fun. Takes about 20 minutes to portage back to the mouth. Had a blast here. If you stay at site 21, it's about a 4 hour leisurely paddle to 31. Lots of time left in the day to fish and canoe the rapids.

#44 on skoi lake was awesome. Saw lots of moose here. And had a griz and black bear walk I to camp.

Arctic Lake
05-15-2017, 08:02 PM
When you check in with BC parks, you choose your campsites. Highly recommend #21 on Isaac lake. It's right across the lake from Betty Wendle Cr. Awesome fishing at the mouth of the creek.
#31 at the Bottom of Issac lake. There is a covered shelter here with a wood stove. We caught our biggest fish right here, 100 yards from camp . And you can run the rapids a pile of times for fun. Takes about 20 minutes to portage back to the mouth. Had a blast here. If you stay at site 21, it's about a 4 hour leisurely paddle to 31. Lots of time left in the day to fish and canoe the rapids.

#44 on skoi lake was awesome. Saw lots of moose here. And had a griz and black bear walk I to camp.

:) Thanks Very Much Ron !

Arctic Lake

whognu
05-15-2017, 08:11 PM
hi

did the trip a couple years ago

one small thing

make sure you either rent the 'canoe tires' from the resort (16" or so) or bring like ones

my friends brought their own from home

they were 6" hard plastic which were ok for wheeling down whiterock beach yet they fought them every single portage

Arctic Lake
05-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Good Info Whognu !

We have a good cart with tubed tires . Will bring a patch kit as well , you never know !
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Tim Tam Slam
11-28-2018, 02:02 PM
How was your trip Arctic Lake? Might be heading up there myself next year or the year after!