PDA

View Full Version : Deer Meat Sold in Chinatown

rollingrock
03-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Last night we dropped by a Chinese restaurant on Cambie street for dinner in Vancouver on our way back in town. After we ordered, I looked around and read those flyers on the wall. Once piece really caught my eyes:

Deer Meat Hot Pot
Ram Meat Hot Pot

$16.95 Per Order

:shock: really?! But if my memory wasn't aging that fast, I did remember in Hunting Synopsis it was clearly stated that any part of the harvested game can't be sold unless the hunter pays royalty. So I asked waitor where they got the deer and the ram and whether the deer or the ram were local wildlives.

He said of course they were locally harvested. Then I asked him if they bought the meat from some hunters or somewherelse. He gave me a strange look as if I was an alien and said you can buy these meat in any grocery stores in Chinatown and the supply is abundant!:roll:

So how many deer are enough to make the supply abundant commerically? Let's say each hunter is only allowed to take 3 deer each year legally and in Region 2 only two are allowed. An average good sized blacktail could only produce 60 lbs to 80 lbs edible meat. But how many "good" hunters could fulfill their bag limits every season? And how many hunters are willing to sell their harvested game meat after so many hours and milage being put in on each game?

I didn't see and try the meat, so I can't say whether it is REAL deer meat. But I'm assuming they're real.

Did I miss something here? Or is someone running a deer farm in this province?

bsa30-06
03-12-2006, 03:47 PM
There used to be a deer farm on the side of the highway as you left lytton , i heard that they were raising the deer to be sold to resteraunts but i dont now if it was true or not and i dont now if it is even there any more.I dont remember seeing it the last time i was up there but i wasnt looking for it either.

ruger#1
03-12-2006, 03:52 PM
bill there are three deer farms here in mission,there is one up by the graveyard, they are fallow deer . there is also a farm at the end of cedar valley rd. i see it every time i pick my daughter up from daycare. not to worry.i do not know about the ram.

rollingrock
03-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Hah! Mark, no wonder they told me the deer meat is of fallow deer!

ruger#1
03-12-2006, 04:12 PM
what did i win a prize? what did i win ? i know a guy who raises goats, that is probably where the rams come in.

ryanb
03-12-2006, 04:13 PM
The ram is probably just mutton, domesticated sheep.

marcus44
03-12-2006, 06:00 PM
I know of at least 2 fallow deer farms in the interior.... one in Merritt and another in Kamloops.... both with 100s of animals.... could possibly be from there to.

Johnnybear
03-12-2006, 06:01 PM
There are a lot of domesticated game meat farms around (fallow deer, elk, bison, exotic sheep and goats, birds, etc.). I HOPE that is where these restaurants get their meat from!!!

Mooseman
03-12-2006, 06:07 PM
:shock: really?! But if my memory wasn't aging that fast, I did remember in Hunting Synopsis it was clearly stated that any part of the harvested game can't be sold unless the hunter pays royalty.

:eek: No wild game meat. Even when the royalty fees are paid !

000buck
03-12-2006, 06:13 PM
deer farm in duncan (fallow deer ) but its not uncommon

Dragginbait
03-12-2006, 06:21 PM
You can buy deer pepperoni and sausage at the market in Duncan. Its GOOD too. It comes from a local farm up there, so I've been told.

Phred
03-12-2006, 06:39 PM
There was a guy on Bowen island that sold moose meat in roasts, steaks and sausage. While I've heard of fallow deer, bison and such, I've never heard of a moose farm. I acted like I knew nothing of hunting and he told me him and his brother gets them in August.

huntwriter
03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
As has been stated here a few times. Wild game meat is readily available. Well it is not so wild. But all over North America, Europe and China there are thousands of game farms raisng all sorts of game from pheasant to moose and in China even black bears, just for fur and meat. If the meat comes from farm breed and raised stock it can be exported and imported just like any other meat.

I know of a farm in Kansas that raises elk just like cattle and every year about 100 or so end up in the meat processing plant. In Illionois is a guy with a herd of "domesticated" bison. He has made a fortune exporting the meat all over the world. There is even a wild game farming association. As the milk and beef market becomes financially difficult due to cheap imports more and more farmers begin to raise wild game animals for extra cash.

The latest Canadian trend in the meat section, next to game meat, is llama while ostrich is on the way out.

Gateholio
03-12-2006, 08:36 PM
You can get all sorts of farmed game meat, from Alligator and bison, to ostrich..

Caribou is harvested in a meat hunt by Inuit and sold, which is the only 'hunted' game meat that I am aware of that is sold in Canada.

If you are offered moose, bighorn, goat, mue deer, whitetail, blacktail, or bear, it is almost assuredly wild game that is illeglaly being sold.:grin:

deerhunter
03-12-2006, 08:40 PM
I was going to sell some of my deer and moose,but by the time I came up the price at 50 dollars a pound I just ate it.Rick

gary mok
03-12-2006, 11:22 PM
I think I can solve your doubt,cause my friend who is running a chinese-style suppermarket in ricnmond,they sale ram/deer/rabbit legally and got them from the farm in b.c, especially in the winter time, there's lots of people buy them,I heard said that it would keep you warm when you eat it.