03-12-2006, 03:31 AM
It is spring bear season..

Should we have a bear contest?

Bragging rights only, no prize.:wink:

Best bear (measured by skull, ala B&C)

Comments?

Walksalot
03-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Bare contest, Sweet Jesus Gatehouse this is a family show.:-)

slyfox
03-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Cool im in

hutch
03-12-2006, 10:21 AM
great idea, im in

Brambles
03-12-2006, 10:40 AM
You gonna split it up into Grizz and Blackbear categories?

Sounds like fun!

3kills
03-12-2006, 10:56 AM
sounds good to me...

Steeleco
03-12-2006, 10:58 AM
For all the bears I saw last year, I don't have a snowballs chance in hell!!! But it sounds like fun. Not like I need anymore motivation :roll::roll:

Foxer
03-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I just want a nice little tender one for eating. Which probably means i'll get a 7 footer :) Now - if I was TRYING for a big one, i'm sure i'd get a tailgater :)

(that's if i can hit the bugger this year :) )

oldtimer
03-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Seperate category for getting one with a bow ??????????????????

MichelD
03-12-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm looking for Foxer's bear.

Maybe we'll have a sub-category of "tenderest bear."

Schmaus
03-12-2006, 12:46 PM
That sounds good, I'm in. (I just about voted for the beer choice)

Gateholio
03-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Seperate category for getting one with a bow ??????????????????

You can use whatever you like, rifle, bow, shotgun, spear, bare hands...:wink:

Schmaus
03-12-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm gonna try with my beer hands oh I mean bear hands http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

000buck
03-12-2006, 01:03 PM
no bow catagory, if yer scared of em don't hunt for em, biggest skull wins usin a bow just gives you bigger balls if you win.

Kirby
03-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Extra catagory for archery bears? Sounds good.

Kirby

ex bc guide
03-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Sounds good I am in
Mike

PGKris
03-12-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm in. I'll be bowhunting them though. I think an extra category for archery bears would be cool. I'm gonna get two with any luck.

youngfellla
03-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Sounds good. Count me in.:-D

At first glance I thought it said 'Beer Contest', then I remembered I won that contest last night.:rolleyes:

moose hunter
03-12-2006, 02:04 PM
prepare to lose muahaha

3kills
03-12-2006, 02:13 PM
the lil rookie is gettin cocky :D

Kirby
03-12-2006, 02:30 PM
prepared to lose muahaha

Glad to see your ready to lose:wink: :grin:

Kirby

Offroad
03-12-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm all over it.

PGKris
03-12-2006, 03:30 PM
prepare to lose muahaha

Get real little man. You're gonna have to find a better spot than the top of Cranbrook Hill before you can touch the big boys for bear. I'm shooting for a 6 footer. Most guys are shooting for 7 feet. You've got a long ways to go yet.

Gateholio
03-12-2006, 03:38 PM
I didnt' think that we needed an archery category, since I'd say 60% of the bears I have shot have been at archery ranges anyway.

Closest one was at about 8 yards.
:neutral:

Kirby
03-12-2006, 04:01 PM
I didnt' think that we needed an archery category, since I'd say 60% of the bears I have shot have been at archery ranges anyway.

Closest one was at about 8 yards.
:neutral:

Big difference between rifle at 20 yards than a bow. No drawing back, you can break sholders, etc. However, personally I couldn't care if there are two catagories, either way I plan on winning, it willl just be that much sweeter if when i do it with a bow:grin: :cool:
We going with skull size? Lenght?

Kirby

sealevel
03-12-2006, 07:08 PM
You know i`am in but i gotta tell you i plan to arrow the biggest.

Marc
03-12-2006, 07:29 PM
who knows I might be able to get a couple small prizes together. I'm just wondering if maybe we shold combine the nose to tail measurement with the head size as we all know that Island bear have larger heads. Just doesn't seem fair to you mainland guys:mrgreen:

Gateholio
03-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Bear skulls are the "official" way to measure them...And you cannot stretcha skull.:wink:

Too bad I ddnt' think of this contest last year..I shot a record book black bear last spring.:roll: :p

Marc
03-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Bear skulls are the "official" way to measure them...And you cannot stretcha skull.:wink:

Too bad I ddnt' think of this contest last year..I shot a record book black bear last spring.:roll: :p

Where did you shoot this record book bear?

Woudn't hapen to be on the Island would it?:biggrin:

Gateholio
03-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Tat bear was form the Island, but there are plenty of bears oin the mainland with record book noggins, too.

:p

A bear I shot several years ago was similar in size, and it was no where near the coast.:grin:

Brambles
03-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Its gonna be pretty hard for us mainland guys to compete with those Island bears.

perhaps some sub-categories would also make it interesting as well as the biggest and baddest overall.

Brambles

Foxer
03-12-2006, 09:07 PM

Now THERE'S a sig line :)

dave_fras
03-12-2006, 09:26 PM
we should make it rifle and bow!

stanway
03-12-2006, 09:30 PM
For all the bears I saw last year, I don't have a snowballs chance in hell!!! But it sounds like fun. Not like I need anymore motivation :roll::roll:

Well David, maybe you should start hunting for deer and maybe you'll see more bears. :wink: If I remember, last year you were hunting for bears and had very good luck for deer. :lol:

3kills
03-12-2006, 09:46 PM
so how are we going to confirm this...maybe with a pic of the skull with a measuring tape to show measurements??? and is it going to be 60 day drying??

Kirby
03-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Here are the contest rules from another contest I am in, I say they are fair. Like gatehouse said, can't stretch a skull.

Bear hunting contest
Rules:

1- Rifle/bow/crossbow/shotgun.

2- Fair chase(dogs, spot and stalk),
a. http://www.pope-young.org/fairchase.asp (http://www.pope-young.org/fairchase.asp)

3- Largest bear taken, if you have multiple bear tags, and take multiple bears, the largest skull wins.

4- With all entries, you must provide
a. 2 Field photos with you and animal *to indicate it was shot this year

b. Pictures of skull measured using P&Y or B&C method
i. http://www.pope-young.org/ScoreSheets/Bear.pdf (http://www.pope-young.org/ScoreSheets/Bear.pdf)

5- Black bears only(maybe seperate section for griz)

6- Contest closes June 15th all scores to be in by the 14th of July and animals within 1/16” for first we will wait for Official score which can be no obtained no later than Aug 31.

Any thoughts?

Kirby

youngfellla
03-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Sounds pretty good to me Kirby.

We definetly need a contest for Grizz as well, quite a few of us here have grizz draws.:-)

Dragginbait
03-12-2006, 10:35 PM
[quote=Brambles]Its gonna be pretty hard for us mainland guys to compete with those Island bears.

Well if we had a contest for island deer vs mainland deer, would we get some kind of a handicap. Didn't think so. You guys have bigger deer and we got good bears, I think your still winning.;)

Schmaus
03-12-2006, 10:45 PM
oooohhhhh, god this sounds like its going to be fun, I think its going to be PG boys/girls in first second and third. I'm gonna go out on my sled next weekend scouting http://bestsmileys.com/tropheys/1.gif

Steeleco
03-12-2006, 11:21 PM
I don't really care who wins, I'm sure the bears are going to lose though!!!

Gateholio
03-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Sinc I started the thread, I get to make the rules.:-P

I like to keep things simple..Kirbys rules are pretty simple, but I'll add some to them anyway.:wink:

Bear hunting contest
Rules:

1- Killed by any legal means. (This allows the spear hutners to ply thier trade):wink:

2- Fair chase(dogs, spot and stalk etc), Only legal methods of hunting permitted.

3- Largest bear taken is the winner. Up to 2 black bears and 1 grizzly are permitted to be entered in contest.

4- With all entries, you must provide

b. Pictures of skull measured using P&Y or B&C method
i. http://www.pope-young.org/ScoreSheets/Bear.pdf (http://www.pope-young.org/ScoreSheets/Bear.pdf)

5- Black bears OR Grizzly bears allowed. Seperate category for each one.

Also, special categories for "Best Looking Bear" and "Meanest/Ugliest Bear". A select panel of judges will make nominations and then the rest of the members can vote on the finalists.

6- Contest closes June 30th all scores to be in by the 14th of July and animals within 1/16” for first we will wait for Official score which can be obtained no later than Aug 31.

7- You must submit your intention to enter your bear must be within 2 weeks of taking it. Skull need not be scored at that time. So if you kill it May 1st, you must post the pics no later than May 14. (I incuded this to keep the contest fresh and keep the thread interesting):grin:

Gateholio
03-12-2006, 11:28 PM
I'd like to take a moment to recgnize that we have at least 3 very commited beer drinkers here.

Well done gentlemen!!:cool: :D

Gateholio
03-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Its gonna be pretty hard for us mainland guys to compete with those Island bears.

Brambles

Everyone is free to hutn wherever they wish, so if someone wants to go to the Island to hutn bears int he hopes it will imporve thier chances, he or she can. It's abotu having some fun, remember?:p

Although the Island has some big bears, the biggest blackie I have ever seen (a true giant) was rigth near my house in Pemberton.(and me with #6 shot in my 20 guage!:evil: )

We have a few members from outside of BC, and they can enter the contest as well, so bears are not limited to just BC bears either.:lol:

Kirby
03-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Rules sound good, and you can count me in. This year I am getting serious about hammering a big boy for myself. As for Island bears bigger than Mainland, it'll just be that much sweeter when I arrow the winning bear on the mainland.:-D :twisted:

Kirby

cowboy-up69
03-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Sounds like a sweet contest to me! Count me in! Kirby's gunna get me on the biggest bear here, and Im gunna win!! muahhahah :P Just jokinnn...I dont care how big, I jus wanna get my first bear with my first bow! ;)

Kirby
03-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Sounds like a sweet contest to me! Count me in! Kirby's gunna get me on the biggest bear here, and Im gunna win!! muahhahah :P Just jokinnn...I dont care how big, I jus wanna get my first bear with my first bow! ;)

Now now, I said I'd get you a bear, if I think its winning the contest, I'm taking it!:grin: We'll have to see how we do this year. Hopefully we can repeat the sucess of last year.

Kirby

huntwriter
03-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Well, what a shame last fall and this spring hunting is out of the question for me, due to way too much work. So I shall sit here and cheer you all on. May the best hunter win this contest.:grin:

Schmaus
03-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Ok ok since I thought this over I think its going to be PG for first and second and then I think maybe somebody from....
around the Vanderhoof area for third http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/5.gif

Kirby
03-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Schmaus, sorry but I plan on taking 1st and 2nd myself, 3rd can go to PG:cool:

May the best hunter win this contest.

thanks much, I do intend on winning:D

Kirby

todbartell
03-13-2006, 12:51 AM
I Might buy a bear tag :rolleyes:

CanuckShooter
03-13-2006, 06:45 AM
[quote=Gatehouse]. (http://www.pope-young.org/ScoreSheets/Bear.pdf)
Also, special categories for "Best Looking Bear" and "Meanest/Ugliest Bear". A select panel of judges will make nominations and then the rest of the members can vote on the finalists.

Best Looking Bear?? LOL....you've got to be kidding right?? Come here purty boy!!

Meanest/Ugliest Bear>>> well I don't know about ugliest..but some of these PG bears sure will win the meanest category hands down...my buddy moose hunter probably knows where to find that ornery old boar that has terrorized cranbrook hill for the last ten years or so?? The s.o.b. will steal your flat of beer...all you'll recover will be empty cans...now if that ain't mean then I just don't know how else to categorize it??

oldtimer
03-13-2006, 07:02 AM
I think those PG guys are planning on travelling 1 hour south to get there bear and then say it came from their area. Won't work !! 1st place to region 5 Mike

sealevel
03-13-2006, 07:16 AM
I think you PG and quesnel boys have been looking at small bears so long you think there big.:p :p :wink:

Foxer
03-13-2006, 09:36 AM

Surely we can trust each other to be honest about it. I mean, it's not like there's money in it or anything :)

I almost never have a camera with me in the field. I either forget, or lose those little disposables, or take a bunch of shots and then wait for the film to slowly degrade into dust forgotten at the bottom of my hunting bag for a few years :) I'd like to think none of us would lie about something like this.

How about some 'honourable mention' catagories as well - like 'best shot', or 'best stalk', or the like? People can tell their stories and an independant pannel of beer drinkers could decide who gets an honorable mention or not.

Steeleco
03-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Stickied for ease of finding till contest over!!! Good luck all.

mainland hunter
03-13-2006, 12:01 PM
you can count me in as well

Elkhound
03-13-2006, 12:11 PM
All Right!......Hunting contest for bears. And it's FREE to enter.........My Scottish side says I am in

todbartell
03-13-2006, 12:29 PM
it's 2006. I think most anyone can take a picture of the bear they shot and post it

JMHO

bcboy
03-13-2006, 01:56 PM
(that's if i can hit the bugger this year :) )

Well I hope so too:p

Steeleco
03-13-2006, 02:23 PM
it's 2006. I think most anyone can take a picture of the bear they shot and post it

JMHO

True enough, but for those who can't send a copy to me and I'll post it for you!!!

NEEHAMA
03-13-2006, 04:19 PM
GATE, great idea and yes it is your post so stick to your gun's. i can't wait to see some off the ugly list! hair mange, dump bears, missing an eye! that's great.
however shiney coated alpine spring bear does sound very nice right now though.

Ozone
03-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Ok I want go on record that I only want a small tender bear but will submit the pics anyway (I hope).

Kody94
03-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Gates....Count me in too. Although I voted for the beer option before reading the whole thread, I realized that I have never let my passion for beer keep me from hunting, even bears.

Plus, I'll be guiding a buddy from Ohio for bear this spring, so that'll ensure I get my butt out there.

Cheers,
4Ster

Marc
03-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Hmm, I've already got plans to visit two bears that are well over 400lbs the last time I saw them. I guess we'll see how things play out. I wish my 45/70 would hurry up and get here.

Marc.

LOC
03-13-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm in, but seeing as how I haven't punched a tag in along time, I'm going to be alot less picky this year. Maybe I'll dress it up in a gown and go for best looking bruin cause I don't think I'llg et biggest :-D

Elkhound
03-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Marc, sent you a PM

elkster
03-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Yo!
I'm in. Hope I can get that bear that was in my backyard. He was a brute. I'll have to track him till I find him outside the city limits. Or maybe we'll just go out camping and fishing and bear hunting and beer drinking. Good luck to all.

bsa30-06
03-13-2006, 09:43 PM
If i tag one this year i'll post up pictures, but after the year i had last year i'm not going to be choosey.

Sasquatch
03-13-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm going bear hunting for the first time this spring. Hoping for a little beginners luck!

Freshtracks
03-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Should be an interesting spring hunt. I'll be looking for a pepperoni bear ... :-D

JohnS
03-13-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm IN !! LOL! should be fun!

Fido
03-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Well I'm in taking a new hunter out so with his luck we should have one. We will be hunting up at Loon Lake and over to Princeton.:-|

boonerbuck
03-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Quote:

Now THERE'S a sig line :smile:

Someone should tell Gatehouse that you can't shoot bears down at the archery ranges!

goathead
03-14-2006, 04:40 PM
:shock: Sounds good.Lets get it on.It will be good to get out and start looking for those buggers.

Foxer
03-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Someone should tell Gatehouse that you can't shoot bears down at the archery ranges!

Sure. You go right ahead. We'll be right behind you. With a camera. :)

sealevel
03-14-2006, 05:25 PM
If he shoots a bear on your archery range it will likely be foam !! But beings who he`s a cheif he will know how to cook it.

shortroot
03-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Well, I'll post pics after my trip. I should have a dandy by May 7th to post. 2 weeks booked for spring bear already. 35' boat with fishing buddy heading to Knight/Kingcome for 1 week of grizz, blackie, crab and prawn, then 1 week in Gold River looking for blackie and prawn. I've been drooling over some 8'+ Island blackies from last spring sitting at the taxidermists.

All in all it will be a good start to bear season.

Good luck to all, I guess only 2 1/2 weeks until the season opens.

oldtimer
03-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Fido ... There is a nice size blackie up above Loon Lake that the missus and I just missed last year. Good luck up there. Mike

geno
03-14-2006, 08:24 PM
im in for sure.

Barracuda
03-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Here are the contest rules from another contest I am in, I say they are fair. Like gatehouse said, can't stretch a skull.

Any thoughts?

Kirby

I like the criteria but i do also think that there should be colour phase/ subspecies and quality , I also think that the harvest method is very important be it bow,firearm and or hounds ,they all have very distinct differences in the type of oportunities they present

boonerbuck
03-14-2006, 09:48 PM
If he shoots a bear on your archery range it will likely be foam !! But beings who he`s a cheif he will know how to cook it.

I believe Gates is a Chef..not Cheif. He does kind of resemble Sitting Bull though!:grin: :grin: :grin:

Elkhound
03-16-2006, 01:06 PM
It is spring bear season..

Should we have a bear contest?

Bragging rights only, no prize.:wink:

Best bear (measured by skull, ala B&C)

Comments?

Well, I know Gatehouse says no prize, but I offered one up to Marc to give out anyway. Just my way of saying I enjoy it here and would like to contribute. (Besides I will win it back anyway) I will let Marc post the prize though in case he is working on getting any more.

Schmaus
03-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Man does this ever suck. Last night at work (bear lake) it snowed another at least 6 inches. There is no way I am going to make it to my secret spot on opening weekend. Or for the first month for that matter
http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/4.gif

Marc
03-16-2006, 02:09 PM
I've seen some skunk cabage growing already on the way home from work :D

Steeleco
03-16-2006, 03:46 PM
I work with a fellow that is building a house just west of Mission, he's been waking up to fresh bear tracks everyday this week. We work nights so they must be cruising through the day!!!

Schmaus
03-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Ohh don't you guys waaaayyyy down south worry I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

PGKris
03-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Dynamite in a den?

PGKris
03-17-2006, 10:43 AM
So what are the actual rules for this gong show?? Definitively....

Marc
03-17-2006, 11:25 AM
The rules where stated earlier on in this post but Gatehouse is going to start another post for the actual contest when the season start date approaches with the rules and the prizes for the two catagories. Biggest Spring Black Bear and Biggest Spring Grizzly. The emphasis is going to be on the biggest black bear obviously to make it fair for everyone.

Marc.

Franko Manini
03-17-2006, 01:13 PM
I am in. And I bet I can convince The Hermit to join in. He'll probably want to shoot the winning bear with my gun though.:p

rocksteady
03-17-2006, 01:39 PM
[quote=Gatehouse]Bear skulls are the "official" way to measure them...And you cannot stretcha skull.

Not always true......I knew a guy who consistantly won the cougar division at the local rod and gun show and after a few too many whiskeys (a whole lot too many) he spilled his secret....

He would take the cougar skull and pound in cedar plugs into the eyesockets and spinal hole and then sink the thing in a bucket of water....As the cedar soaked up the water, it would swell, causing the skull to expand slowly and force it our wider..Since skull measurements are length + width, he always won cause he always shot cats with "real wide heads"....

He was so intent on winning every year that he would do this....:mad: :mad:

I did pass this little tidbit along to an executive of the club and when he went to renew his membership, they gracefully declined his membership..When questioned why, they told him because he cheated....He was so drunk that night that he did not even remeber telling anyone.....:p :p What an A$$HOLE.....

Got what he deserved though.....

Same thing can be done with a bear skull, but if you know what your looking for its not too hard to see if they have been stretched.....

Gnarly
03-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Sure , I'll play:p

Deerwhacker
03-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Ill give er a go.
hopefully the first bear to give me a shot is a big one, and if its not ill still post up some pics.

CanAm500
03-19-2006, 04:40 PM
I might be able to participate in this contest, we shall see.

timber
03-19-2006, 09:29 PM
100_1501.jpgthe big bear will come from pg

timber
03-19-2006, 09:45 PM
well so much fo the pic,Id like to say I am in but I will be out guiding clinents so they won't be my bears,

Blktail
03-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I ain't much in tyer eetin' bars. But iffin y'all would agsept it, I will send a pitcher of me and a bar wrasseled to the ground with a tape on his hed. Iffin yer want I will skin him around the ears sos I don have no advantige. He'll get over it. I own't use no ropes iffin it will help, but it tends to tucker me out some gettin the bar to hold still while I take photos with the timer on the camera.:lol:

CanAm500
03-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Friend just saw a 2 year old bear run across the Lake Cowichan - Port Renfrew ring road (aka. logging road).

trophyslayer
03-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh ya im definetly in for this

DieselDog
03-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Let the games begin!:-D

Dragginbait
03-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Will the first bear entered at least get an honourary mention ???

Gateholio
03-22-2006, 12:29 PM
I ain't much in tyer eetin' bars. But iffin y'all would agsept it, I will send a pitcher of me and a bar wrasseled to the ground with a tape on his hed. Iffin yer want I will skin him around the ears sos I don have no advantige. He'll get over it. I own't use no ropes iffin it will help, but it tends to tucker me out some gettin the bar to hold still while I take photos with the timer on the camera.:lol:

One of the requirements of the contest is that you must be fluent in English.

COme back after some ESL studies, please.:wink:

Barracuda
03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Dont you mean both official languages English and or French :biggrin: (all i can think about right now is Canadian Bacon and the garbage truck:biggrin: )

bighornbob
03-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Count me in the bear contest. I know a few spots to get big 4 footer.

BHB

PGKris
03-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Big 4 footer? What?

bsa30-06
03-22-2006, 04:43 PM
maybe that big 4 footer has a huge noggin.

Kirby
03-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Count me in the bear contest. I know a few spots to get big 4 footer.

BHB

???? did you mean a 4' head???

Kirby

ruger#1
03-22-2006, 05:18 PM
hey can i shoot them of my patio,didnt see that in the rules.

bsa30-06
03-22-2006, 05:21 PM
no , i think the rules should say that you actually have to leave your living room to shoot the bear.

ruger#1
03-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Loyd. you and i are going to take a weekend to hat creek and i will show you bears, in one evening i watched 9 with the spotting scope. 8 years ago three of us went up with the horses and in half a week we came back with three bears. we took them to the butcher and had them made into salami.

bsa30-06
03-22-2006, 05:29 PM
just let me now when , i'm always willing to go out and shoot something.

ruger#1
03-22-2006, 05:56 PM
best time is opening day bears are eating grass and hornets.there are some big deer the odd moose and some bighorn sheep up higher.

Marc
03-22-2006, 06:39 PM
One of the requirements of the contest is that you must be fluent in English.

COme back after some ESL studies, please.:wink:

If that doesn't work we'll send you a copy of hooked on phonics. :mrgreen:

houndogger
03-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Sounds like fun to me! We will see what the dogs put up for us. I will drag that timberhunter out and maybe his buddy bearbait! Try and get them home before midnight this time!:biggrin:

Elkhound
03-23-2006, 02:04 PM
If that doesn't work we'll send you a copy of hooked on phonics. :mrgreen:

Yeah, Hookd on foniks werkd for me:lol:

NightOwl74
03-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Any of you guys gonna eat your bears? I have never tried it, but I hear it's not good eatin. If I can eat it, I might consider hunting it.

ruger#1
03-25-2006, 05:05 PM
bear meat is okay, if it is an old bear ,turn it into sausages and salami. i went to a party with a bear roast once, put it with the rest of the food on the table, it was the first thing to go, when people asked what it was, they started gaging. funny thing they liked it when they didnt know what it was.

Marc
03-25-2006, 05:11 PM
It’s edible and quite good once you get over the thought of eating a bear. I used to get my meat made up into sausages and pepperoni but now I have it done up into steaks and some into burger. In tomato sauce you 'd have a hard time telling the difference between bear and beef. I do plan on making some sausages out of my spring bear if I get one as I'm all out of sausage and it's nice to have some once in a while but no need to turn the whole bear into it.

Marc.

3kills
03-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Any of you guys gonna eat your bears? I have never tried it, but I hear it's not good eatin. If I can eat it, I might consider hunting it.

it makes really good pepperoni and garlic coil or sausages....i got hams made from my bear last year and they were dam good every body that has tried them though they were good...this year i plan on makin some jerky from one hip and the other one is going to hams and then the rest to garlic coil and pepperoni..might keep the tenderloins this year...

Offroad
03-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Bear is awesome eating. It is my favorite meat, and most of our friends. It is very good anyway you prepare it. Put some extra time into your triming of the fat and membranes and you be very happy with results. Please don't go hunting for them unless you intend to eat them.

Foxer
03-27-2006, 02:45 PM
It is very good anyway you prepare it.

Well - you DO have to prepare it right. Prepared incorrectly it's not that great. Done properly it's awesome.

Rule #1 - cut off all the fat. You don't have to worry about the connective tissue and that kind of stuff - but the actual fat is really ranicd unless you render it into lard. So cut off all the fat before cooking and be fussy. That's where a lot of the 'gamey' taste comes from - without it the meat is very good, like a cross between pork and beef.

sealevel
03-27-2006, 02:50 PM
bear roast gravy with yorkshire pudding there is nothing better.and renderd down bar fat makes the best pie crust . the one thing i really don`t like is the steaks.

Foxer
03-27-2006, 03:00 PM
The steaks can be tougher than other game - but done right in a slow-cooker... nummy!

3kills
03-27-2006, 07:11 PM
thats why they made marinades for tougher steaks...just make sure u guys cook it well enough cuz there is a chance of trich...