PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good tent

CSG
03-15-2010, 08:27 PM
I am currently rockin a Sierra Designs Nova 22 tent when I go backpacking, but it belongs to my sister so I gotta get one of my own. Looking for something that meets the following requirments

-2 man(if I play my cards right it will have a man AND a woman in it sometimes:-D)
-2 doors
-2 Vestibules
-Lightweight and back packable
-3 season
-should do well in foul weather and high winds

this will be my all around tent for the summer camping and fall sheep hunting. thats about it. something of good quality is a given

Gene Lasker
03-15-2010, 09:00 PM
I am currently rockin a Sierra Designs Nova 22 tent when I go backpacking, but it belongs to my sister so I gotta get one of my own. Looking for something that meets the following requirments

-2 man(if I play my cards right it will have a man AND a woman in it sometimes:-D)
-2 doors
-2 Vestibules
-3 season

this will be my all around tent for the summer camping and fall sheep hunting. thats about it. something of good quality is a given

dont you mean a three man then LOL:mrgreen:

Slime green cat
03-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Im a big fan of 4 to 6 man campers myself :mrgreen: The furnace is my favourite feature :wink:

Gene Lasker
03-15-2010, 09:05 PM
23 foot Terry

Brambles
03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
I had an Sierra Design Electron, fits your specs perfectly.

Of course it got in a fight so it has been replaced by Sierra Design with a Electron 2 which I look forward to using.

Real nice tents, reasonable prices too

pnbrock
03-15-2010, 09:09 PM
what did your tent fight with?

pnbrock
03-15-2010, 09:13 PM
nevermind forgott who was posting.do you think a msr tent would stop a grizz?

Gene Lasker
03-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Malcom Smith Racing LOL

Brett
03-16-2010, 06:50 AM
MSR HubaHuba

BiG Boar
03-16-2010, 06:56 AM
MSR HubaHuba x2
It is light weight and exactly as described. And man has it seen wind. I would say close to gale force. Seriously blowing hard all day for 2 days.

Devilbear
03-16-2010, 09:58 AM

-2 doors
-2 Vestibules
-3 season

The best choice for what you have posted is a Hilleberg Allak and they are available by mailorder from various US dealers. I have bought three Hilles from a dealer in Utah, super service and the best tents I have ever used in the mountains...and that is quite a few.

Go to www.bearriveroutfitters.com (http://www.bearriveroutfitters.com) and call him, see the Allak at the Hille. link on his site. You WILL NOT find a better tent for your needs.

CSG
03-16-2010, 10:12 AM
are you guys rockin the hubba hubba or the hubba hubba HP??
When camping in the summer sometimes I find my tent gets REALLY hot in the morning when the sun hits it, so I would be inclined to get the regular hubba hubba. It looks like it has alot of mesh though, did it work well keeping out the wind and rain when you are inside trying to stay warm and dry???

x2
It is light weight and exactly as described. And man has it seen wind. I would say close to gale force. Seriously blowing hard all day for 2 days.

KodiakHntr
03-16-2010, 07:28 PM
I have a hubba hubba HP, and its fair warm during the day inside if the sun is full on it.

However, I did appreciate the lack of mesh in it during some torrential downpours at night and high winds while sheep hunting last fall.

Only beef I could have, and it really isn't a beef at all, is that the vestibules are a little on the small side, and you have to be on pretty good terms with the other person you are in the tent with, or if you are a bigger pair of guys......

bruin
03-16-2010, 08:42 PM
The best choice for what you have posted is a Hilleberg Allak and they are available by mailorder from various US dealers. I have bought three Hilles from a dealer in Utah, super service and the best tents I have ever used in the mountains...and that is quite a few.

Go to www.bearriveroutfitters.com (http://www.bearriveroutfitters.com) and call him, see the Allak at the Hille. link on his site. You WILL NOT find a better tent for your needs.

What is the venting like on the Allak? I have used the single man and there was little to no ventilation. Are the doors solid or is there a double with one being mesh?

Brambles
03-16-2010, 09:40 PM
nevermind forgott who was posting.do you think a msr tent would stop a grizz?

AAHHH......NOPE. I'm pretty sure that ANY tent would be flatter then piss on a plate when being dive bombed by a grizz.

Devilbear
03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
What is the venting like on the Allak? I have used the single man and there was little to no ventilation. Are the doors solid or is there a double with one being mesh?

The Allak has opposing entrances with a full coverage fly with two doors in it, then the inner tent has two doors, solid, backed by full mesh doors and small enough mesh for "no seeums". It will handle about any conditions here in BC that 99% of people will go out in and is easy to erect from outside without getting the inner tent wet.

Hilleberg tents are dammed expensive, but, NOTHING works like they do and my top of the line Saivo is the finest tent I have ever been in and can handle South Pole conditions. This is my base camp tent with a Hille. XP 20 tarp, lots of extra cord, steel pegs and an extra floorcloth. I am getting extra poles to "double pole" it and I would trust this over anything.

There are LOTS of "good" tents and then there are Integral Designs and Hilleberg, you get what you pay for.