PDA

View Full Version : The Spring Hatches are Just Around the Corner

Salty
03-13-2010, 06:05 PM
The lakes are going to wake up soon . And the trout in the cricks and rivers. I just bought a 460 Snowbee reel with 3 cartridges and some floating line to celebrate the occaision :-D Soon huge trout will fear me. :cool:

Who else is jonesing for some spring trout fish'n ?.

frenchbar
03-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Just pulled out my flyrods the other day ..new floating line to go on one and the other one is all set up...another few weeks and the local lks should be ice free:-D .Cant wait!

frenchbar
03-13-2010, 06:18 PM
The lakes are going to wake up soon . And the trout in the cricks and rivers. I just bought a 460 Snowbee reel with 3 cartridges and some floating line to celebrate the occaision :-D Soon huge trout will fear me. :cool:

460 snowbee:-D sounds like a frikin snowmobile:wink:

Salty
03-13-2010, 06:28 PM
lol. ya Snowbee isn't that well known over here yet. They're from the UK, nile creek fly shop down island just got a distributorship.

my reel is the xds460 2/3 of the way down the page
http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly-fishing/fly-reels/

03-13-2010, 09:18 PM
yeeeahhhhhhh Boy!
cant wait! nothing like a dry floatin' down a river!
I love it
cutties will be happening one the west coast now! goin to get a day or two on the rivers of Ukee in a couple weeks

springpin
03-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I've been flying the Columbia for a while now. Lots of Mountain white fish caught on dries. And caught a nice Bull on a dry as well. Was out tonight, but nothing hit.

quincy
03-13-2010, 10:22 PM
I also just came from the columbia, one rainbow on a streamer and four walleye on jigs. :-D

kishman
03-14-2010, 07:22 AM

Nice looking reels, I switched to large arbour years ago and would never go back. What an awsome time of year:-D! Spring Bear, hungry Trout.....win-win!

Cdn-Redneck
03-14-2010, 08:38 AM
The Snowbee reels are similar to the STH reels with the cassette. They are a good idea

Fisher-Dude
03-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Two months yet for The Dude's secret lake to be ice-free. When those bomber chironies are hatching, I get 2 weeks of incredible fishing.

Good sign though - a chirony landed on my shoe at the Rockets' game last night! He must have flown over from Okanagan Lake to catch the action!

GoatGuy
03-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Hungry fish in the local rivers.:mrgreen:

ruger#1
03-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Cuties are already doing good in the valley. I use the minnow fly patterns.

spreerider
03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
my dad was out fishing some lower lakes this weekend and landed a couple nice cutties, said the fish were starving and hit hard and constantly.

Salty
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM
I was down in Campbell river last week and out hwy 28 working unfortunately. Some of the little lakes down low had risers all over the place :-D We are a couple few weeks behind up here and then there was this last cold snap - snow down to sea level.. but I am just about positive that the next wave of weather up in to the teens will bring on some of the best fishing of the year! Should have my new reel Wednesday. It'll live on my 5 wt TFO rod. And my old BFR reel will go on a sweet little 4/5 wt 7 ft creek rod I bought this winter. Its all good :cool:

Salty
03-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Nice looking reels, I switched to large arbour years ago and would never go back. What an awsome time of year:-D! Spring Bear, hungry Trout.....win-win!

The Snowbee reels are similar to the STH reels with the cassette. They are a good idea

I bought the Snowbee 780 cassette system last fall. 780 meaning for 7 and 8 weight rods, it came with 5 spares :shock: I love this reel! The mode here is no $ spent on bling, its a cast and powdercoated reel and not titanium or some crazy thing. Not sure how you'd break a cast reel by fishing so good enough for me. But the inards are exactly the same as their high end reels. An extremely strong and positive disc drag system comparing shoulder to shoulder with reels costing 2 and 3 times as much. They're salt water ready too no problemo. used it Mexico and it didn't miss a beat.

So being that happy I thought I'd try its little brother the 460 (for 4 to 6 weight rods). Ya I love the large arbour idea as well even for trout rods. . They used to be uncommon and only real high end. But they seem to be going main stream. I mean why not have another 100 yards of backing - just in case :cool:

frenchbar
03-14-2010, 01:11 PM
I was down in Campbell river last week and out hwy 28 working unfortunately. Some of the little lakes down low had risers all over the place :-D We are a couple few weeks behind up here and then there was this last cold snap - snow down to sea level.. but I am just about positive that the next wave of weather up in to the teens will bring on some of the best fishing of the year! Should have my new reel Wednesday. It'll live on my 5 wt TFO rod. And my old BFR reel will go on a sweet little 4/5 wt 7 ft creek rod I bought this winter. Its all good :cool:

Salty ..are the prices of the 460 compatible to the bfr.s?

Salty
03-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Salty ..are the prices of the 460 compatible to the bfr.s?

The 460 retails for about $110 and that's with one spare cartridge. (I've got a BFR and the Snowbee 460 is twice the reel imo btw.) I bought one extra cartridge for the 460 for like 12 bucks, so I'll have 3 total. The 780 comes with 5 - retail about 150 IIRC. Nile Creek fly shop is the only distributor for western Canada. He's happy to ship, good guy 2.

frenchbar
03-14-2010, 01:19 PM
The 460 retails for about $110 and that's with one spare cartridge. (I've got a BFR and the Snowbee 460 is twice the reel imo btw.) I bought one extra cartridge for the 460 for like 12 bucks, so I'll have 3 total. The 780 comes with 5 - retail about 150 IIRC. Nile Creek fly shop is the only distributor for western Canada. He's happy to ship, good guy 2.

right on ..thanx..

Burger64
03-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Mayflys comin of the local creek today.Amazing how quick stuff is greening up

Salty
03-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey welcome to the site Buger64 :-D You must be in the south part of bc for mayflies aready?