PDA

View Full Version : ADVISE: 870 or gps?

skibum
03-13-2010, 05:37 PM
I am trying to decide if I should purchase a Rem 870 express, or a gps system this spring.

Live in Kamloops, not exactly a duck/goose migration route
Always wanted to try my hand at some ducks or geese
GPS systems are pretty cool to play around with - I spend a lot of time in the bush
Not really interested in slug hunting / just birds
Could use the 870 for some grouse hunting -Any advise on which way I should go? - I would I get the use out of the 870 around the loops

deer nut
03-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Get the 870 and buy some topo maps and a good compass. Then have some fun shooting trap/ skeet at the local club. GPS units are coming down in price and becoming easier to use all the time too. They might work well in open country like Kamloops but I've found GPS to be almost useless in dense bush - can't even use one to backtrack (mind you, mine is old).

MikeH
03-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Buy the gun! get a compass,navigation and bird hunting win win.You can always get a GPS later that's what I'd do.

Slime green cat
03-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Get the 870 and buy some topo maps and a good compass. Then have some fun shooting trap/ skeet at the local club. GPS units are coming down in price and becoming easier to use all the time too. They might work well in open country like Kamloops but I've found GPS to be almost useless in dense bush - can't even use one to backtrack (mind you, mine is old).

It must be old because mine isn't that new (Garmin Vista C) about 5 years old . I rarely if ever loose a signal even in our thick rainforest west coast bush .

I would get the 870 , versitile and tough ... perfect bush gun ... everyone should have one .
Lots of guys got along just fine in the bush for a long time before GPS's .

Crazy.kayaker
03-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Get the 870 though I wouldn't trade my BPS in for an 870 and a new GPS not that my GPS is more then 6 months old ;) and mine never loses it's signal. Have fun with your new 870. I will say this my GPS is only turned on usually twice on a trip. Once to flag where I parked the truck and a second time to delete the flag when I get back to the truck at the end of the day. GPS's are over rated if you have half a brain and know the sun rises in the east sets in the west and is usually in the southern part of the sky for us.

BlacktailStalker
03-13-2010, 06:43 PM
If you buy a gps and dont know how to use it, you'll still get lost and starve.
If you buy an 870 you can eat everyday til you find your way out :cool:

skibum
03-13-2010, 06:53 PM
thanks for the post guys. I think I am leaning towards the 870,