PDA

View Full Version : spring turkeys

nolan-sawka
03-12-2010, 09:11 PM
whos going for bearded turkeys this april in rg 8? what call are you using to get em' in. this will be my first year going for them, suggestions? also how do they taste i herd they were kinda gamey??

MuleyStalker
03-12-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm hoping to get out. I have only tried it once before. While I did manage to get some gobbles, I went home empty-handed. I used the Primos "ol' glory" call.

Crazy.kayaker
03-12-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm hoping to go out early may just before season close with my brother. My BPS is gonna be getting a good workout this year. I Have a Box cutter I can't remember the manufacture off hand but I want to get a few other ones to try out also.

pete_k
03-12-2010, 10:19 PM
I watched the tail end of an outdoor show last Sunday.
They guy used the following:
1) A voice call
2) scraper
3) female decoy
4) camo, complete with face cover

He used the voice call while walking. He would blow a call...stop and listen very closely. He finaly got a reply from several hundred yards away. He blew a few calls to make sure he was going in the right direction then he stopped, setup his decoy, hid very, very well and then used his scraper to get the Tom in nice and close for a shotgun kill. Make sure you wind is right.

That's what I'll be trying this year. They are way harder to hunt than deer IMO.

huntwriter
03-12-2010, 10:24 PM
whos going for bearded turkeys this april in rg 8? what call are you using to get em' in. this will be my first year going for them, suggestions? also how do they taste i herd they were kinda gamey??

I head out for turkey this spring, been doing so for the last 15 years all over North America.:-D

What calls to use? A question I often hear and my answer is always the same. If you never used a turkey call begin with simple friction calls. Use a box call and slate type call. They are easy to learn. However, learning the calls is only part of it. The bigger part is to know when to call and what sounds to use. Call at the wrong time or use the wrong sound and you will scare the birds away.

But you're in luck because on March 28 I am in Keremeos, not far from Kelowna (or Kamloops), with my turkey hunting seminar. The seminar is 4 1/2 to 5 hours long and you learn everything about turkey hunting you need to know to get you started on the right foot. In addition I will teach you the basic calls and when to use them.

For more information on time, exact location and so on send a PM to Shaker (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=2905).

How do they taste? Better then farmed turkey. The taste depends greatly on the birds diet. A Florida turkey tastes very different from BC turkey. Generally a spring turkey is more flavourful then a fall turkey.

Crazy.kayaker
03-12-2010, 10:27 PM
The seminar is well worth the cost and effort to attend. I went to the one last year. It was very informative lots of hands on time with the calls to so you do learn the ones you like and the ones you have trouble using.

huntwriter
03-12-2010, 10:38 PM
I watched the tail end of an outdoor show last Sunday.
They guy used the following:
1) A voice call
2) scraper
3) female decoy
4) camo, complete with face cover

He used the voice call while walking. He would blow a call...stop and listen very closely. He finaly got a reply from several hundred yards away. He blew a few calls to make sure he was going in the right direction then he stopped, setup his decoy, hid very, very well and then used his scraper to get the Tom in nice and close for a shotgun kill. Make sure you wind is right.

That's what I'll be trying this year. They are way harder to hunt than deer IMO.

Why make sure the wind is right??? Turkeys can't smell and they do not fly into the decoys like waterfowl. Don't worry about the wind, worry about their eyesight. A turkey can see a mouse move in the grass 150 yards away. Worry about using the proper calls and calling sequence because turkeys also have incredible hearing and know exactly what they sound like and the meaning of each call. Come to the seminar and I will show you.

That reminds me of that one time when I guided a novice turkey hunter in Illinois. He insisted on doing the calling. He made a few nice yelps and a beautiful tom came in. Then he clucked and the tom run as fast the opposite way as his feet would carry him. The novice looked somewhat bewildered at me and I said. "Son, that cluck you just made was a putt." A putt sounds very similar to a cluck, but is an alarm sound that will alert turkeys for miles around of imminent or perceived danger. It always looks easier on a video then it is.:wink:

huntwriter
03-12-2010, 10:42 PM
The seminar is well worth the cost and effort to attend. I went to the one last year. It was very informative lots of hands on time with the calls to so you do learn the ones you like and the ones you have trouble using.

Thanks Crazy.kayaker I appreciate that. I make it a point that all my seminars are hands on.

Which seminar did you come to, the one in Merritt or Vernon?

nolan-sawka
03-12-2010, 11:16 PM
hey thanks ill look in to that seminar check if i can make it out or not, yeah im looking in to getting primos the freak with frictonite sounds like an awesome call

nolan-sawka
03-12-2010, 11:25 PM
i dont even know where to start though like what to look for what they like. just go sit down start cluckin and hopefully you get a response, anyone wanna give up an area around kelowna haha doubt it but worth a try lol

huntwriter
03-12-2010, 11:56 PM
hey thanks ill look in to that seminar check if i can make it out or not, yeah im looking in to getting primos the freak with frictonite sounds like an awesome call

Now I could say that you should buy my signature line turkey calls, they are the best. But the calls are not on the market yet, we're still testing. But to be truthful with you, any friction type call that is tuned properly is guaranteed to sound right. The problem is the person making turkey music. Frankly most hunters fail because they think "if it sounds like a turkey it is good enough." You see, unlike deer, turkeys hold conversations with each other and to get them to listen to you, you have to know what to say.

nolan-sawka
03-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Now I could say that you should buy my signature line turkey calls, they are the best.

yeah yeah there the best, just tryin to get a buck out of me hahaha just kidding, well you should get em on the market soon id look in to it for sure

pete_k
03-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Why make sure the wind is right??? Turkeys can't smell and they do not fly into the decoys like waterfowl. Don't worry about the wind, worry about their eyesight. :wink:

lol..Thanks Othmar. It never dawned on me that Turkeys can't smell.
Thanks for the pointer.:)

Crazy.kayaker
03-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks Crazy.kayaker I appreciate that. I make it a point that all my seminars are hands on.

Which seminar did you come to, the one in Merritt or Vernon?

I attended the one in Merritt we had a full class and my complements to the ladies that made the lunch for us if you run across any of them. Also to you for your willingness to pass down your Experience on hunting those tasty birds.

As for my hunt location. I'm going to do in to the Region 4 this season or I'm hoping to gonna make it a 1/2 hunt do some hunting for a bear and some for a tom since I'm taking my brother and he can only take 1 week off and we want to do some hunting for both since he lives in the in the lower-mainland and can't get out often. Anyone have advice on locations I should consider. Not looking for exact location but a city or something I should look around. We have a fully outfitted wall tent so weather and such is not an issue.

eastkoot
03-13-2010, 07:22 PM
FYI, it doesn't seem like rocket science or skill.. Go out and cover lots of ground and call lots. I don't have a degree in turkey calling but a box call and lots of squawking usually gets them into range.. No particular method or types of noises, just scraping the old box call. BTW, lots of locals have installed car horns on their quads and drive around, stop and honk the horns, and the toms answer and will come into the car horns.. Just be well hidden when they get close..And, a .22 does penetrate feathers very well!!!

300H&H
03-16-2010, 08:57 PM
i dont even know where to start though like what to look for what they like. just go sit down start cluckin and hopefully you get a response, anyone wanna give up an area around kelowna haha doubt it but worth a try lol

PM sent.
DON'T BLOW IT !!!

300H&H
03-16-2010, 09:10 PM

They taste great. I had my last one put into hams and then smoked. Just awsome.
You may want to go to Grouse River to buy the turkey calling DVD. Worth every penny.

MuleyStalker
03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I head out for turkey this spring, been doing so for the last 15 years all over North America.:-D

What calls to use? A question I often hear and my answer is always the same. If you never used a turkey call begin with simple friction calls. Use a box call and slate type call. They are easy to learn. However, learning the calls is only part of it. The bigger part is to know when to call and what sounds to use. Call at the wrong time or use the wrong sound and you will scare the birds away.

But you're in luck because on March 28 I am in Keremeos, not far from Kelowna (or Kamloops), with my turkey hunting seminar. The seminar is 4 1/2 to 5 hours long and you learn everything about turkey hunting you need to know to get you started on the right foot. In addition I will teach you the basic calls and when to use them.

For more information on time, exact location and so on send a PM to Shaker (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=2905).

How do they taste? Better then farmed turkey. The taste depends greatly on the birds diet. A Florida turkey tastes very different from BC turkey. Generally a spring turkey is more flavourful then a fall turkey.

You have put me in a tough situation. I am headed from Chilliwack to Osoyoos that weekend to do some scouting and shed hunting at a favorite honeyhole. I have always been super interested in turkey hunting. Unfortunately, I am going with a buddy who has no interest in turkey hunting. Can anybody show or do I need to let you know ahead of time?