PDA

View Full Version : Whale tale(& head&fins......)

sawmill
03-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Luna the "lost" killer whale,famous for messing with boats,caused his own demise when he tackled a barge tug this morning.He was also supposed to be the re-incarnation of the local Indian tribes `recently deceased chief,which is why they would`nt let it be relocated to its family`s pod.:roll:
I imagine it will turn into a huge drumfest and probably a lawsuit against the tug company .
I need to puke now:shock:

000buck
03-10-2006, 07:01 PM
funnily enough i think the old chief died in tragic blender accident while mixing margurita's.

sorry couldn't resist that one, rest in piece you both......

oop's i meant peace

Ozone
03-10-2006, 07:17 PM
funnily enough i think the old chief died in tragic blender accident while mixing margurita's.

sorry couldn't resist that one, rest in piece you both......

oop's i meant peace

Holy crap, I had to wipe the tears out of my eyes after reading that. Good stuff

Onesock
03-10-2006, 08:28 PM
One can't but feel a bit sorry for this animal. It seems that all these tree huggers want to save animals lives and the animals end up dying because of it. Here is a whale that should have been returned to its pod, if possible, but because of hugger protests this didn't happen, and the animal is dead. This along the lines of Tinothy Tastewell. When will the huggers learn these are animals and not human being's. Let nature take its course, as this is what happens in the end anyway.

Ozone
03-10-2006, 08:38 PM
It wasnt the huggers who stopped the return, it was the indians. They said it was there chief, but when the cheif did damage to some boats they werent held liable like they should have been.

ruger#1
03-10-2006, 08:49 PM
why should the tug boat company be charged, the tree huggers and natives should be charged, they are the ones that wanted the whale to stay there. like people say nature has taken its coarse. it might of lived longer, if it was back to its pod, but it liked to chase boats and a few of my dogs liked to chase cars, they didn't last long.heres a thought. you are responsible if your dog is hit by a car , and the dog does damage to the vehicle, that prop is probably bent, are the natives and tree huggers going to step up to the plate. ha ha fat chance. i feel sorry for the whale, but people had to interfere.

ruger#1
03-10-2006, 09:01 PM
At least one environmental group claimed political correctness - not a tugboat - killed Luna.
"Those who wanted him to stay in Nootka Sound have killed him," said Peter Hamilton of Lifeforce.

gitnadoix
03-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Well perhaps Luna's swan song will be that due to the media play that has and will follow pehaps people will think less about thier own political intrests next time and more about practical sense. If that had been a plain old bear that was wandering around town rubbing itself on cars it would been eating milk and honey in the promised land with in a few hours. But if history has shown us anything its that people do not learn from it.

Some of you will remember Miracle the killer wale calf that was found in Menzies Bay I think, north of Campbell River. Was moved to Victoria "Sea World", and was living there. That was of course untill some beansprout/tofu/granola crunchers thought they would look huge in front of their piers if they what they considered rescueing the wale by getting it out into the open sea. So they cut a hole in the underwater netting. Only problem was their dreadlocks must have been in their eyes, cause they didnt cut the hole large enough and the whale got stuck and drowned. So here we now have two animals often used to symbolize our wild unspoiled west coast. Dead from being set on a pedestle as some sort of politicale martyr. I hope it was quick for Luna, we know it wasnt for Miracle. And perhaps next time we can hope that those with thier own political gains to be sought, will think with thier hearts and not hemp or political clouded brains.

huntwriter
03-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Well perhaps Luna's swan song will be that due to the media play that has and will follow pehaps people will think less about thier own political intrests next time and more about practical sense. If that had been a plain old bear that was wandering around town rubbing itself on cars it would been eating milk and honey in the promised land with in a few hours. But if history has shown us anything its that people do not learn from it.

Some of you will remember Miracle the killer wale calf that was found in Menzies Bay I think, north of Campbell River. Was moved to Victoria "Sea World", and was living there. That was of course untill some beansprout/tofu/granola crunchers thought they would look huge in front of their piers if they what they considered rescueing the wale by getting it out into the open sea. So they cut a hole in the underwater netting. Only problem was their dreadlocks must have been in their eyes, cause they didnt cut the hole large enough and the whale got stuck and drowned. So here we now have two animals often used to symbolize our wild unspoiled west coast. Dead from being set on a pedestle as some sort of politicale martyr. I hope it was quick for Luna, we know it wasnt for Miracle. And perhaps next time we can hope that those with thier own political gains to be sought, will think with thier hearts and not hemp or political clouded brains.

You are so right, but that is the animal rights for you. They do not care about animals only about the media and peoples money.

"You could say we are the biggest media sluts in the world."
(Ingrid Newkirk, Founder and President of PETA 'People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals'.)

Islandeer
03-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Well the crabs and the rest of the bottom feeders will be happy.

CanuckShooter
03-11-2006, 07:39 AM
They should have shot him when he started damaging boats anyways, at least no body got hurt [that I am aware of]. Half the problem is giving them names like a pet. Luna / Miracle.... give me a break!!

sawmill
03-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Gitnadoix,you are a breath of fresh air,I am asuming you are from the Terrace or Haselton area,I lived there half my life,I saw all the road blockades and the media op`s over logging and the Morricetown child sex abuse scandal and the millions of dollars "missing" from the local band councils budget.
I`m mad because I wonder who the f@#$ woke up one morning and made themselfs better able to manage life it`s ownself :shock:
I knew that dumb ******* was gonna get hit by a car.So did they.
It was political gold to have that whale hanging around ,regardless of the risk to it or the the people it might have hurt .
I absolutly WAS SURE this critter would get killed when the band veto`d the move.I have had it with media Indians and Greenie`s making political hay over dead bodys.Shame on them:evil: Sonsabitches coulda save him but it would have screwed up their T.V. time.
And that`s all I have to say about that.

ratherbefishin
03-11-2006, 08:26 AM
This is correct-the ''protest industry'' is NOT concerned over the welfare of animals at all, only photo ops and securing donation dollars.Where are these people when it comes to protecting and enhancing habitat-the real threat to animal welfare?Hunters and fishermen have long donated their time and money to real conservation projects-with very little fanfare.In addition hunters and fishermen pay for habitat stamps on their licences-what do you bet the screaming and yelling we would hear if we proposed a ''conservation stamp'' on tofu bars or a ''habitat tax'' on pot?yah,right....

huntwriter
03-11-2006, 09:05 AM
This is correct-the ''protest industry'' is NOT concerned over the welfare of animals at all, only photo ops and securing donation dollars.Where are these people when it comes to protecting and enhancing habitat-the real threat to animal welfare?Hunters and fishermen have long donated their time and money to real conservation projects-with very little fanfare.In addition hunters and fishermen pay for habitat stamps on their licences-what do you bet the screaming and yelling we would hear if we proposed a ''conservation stamp'' on tofu bars or a ''habitat tax'' on pot?yah,right....
You got it. I can see it now the protesting and threatening behaviour these folks would engage in. If they would have to do and pay what hunters and fishers have to, just to enjoy their recreational activity.

Fred
03-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Well the crabs and the rest of the bottom feeders will be happy.
Do you really think that the Lawyers are gonna get involved Islandeer?:wink: Fred

Birddog
03-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Does anyone have the GPS cordinates from where this encounter happened. I'd like to set a few CRAB TRAPS out. :wink:

Birddog

Brambles
03-11-2006, 12:24 PM
I wonder what whale meat tastes like?

Islandeer
03-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Do you really think that the Lawyers are gonna get involved Islandeer?:wink: Fred

They can smell money better than a spring bear can smell a dead luna,I mean loon.:wink:

sealevel
03-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Luna likely was the old chief who came as a whale instead of chaseing parked cars he died chasing a parked boat.

sawmill
03-11-2006, 07:53 PM
[A lot like bald eagle.:twisted:

quote=Brambles]I wonder what whale meat tastes like?[/quote]

Phred
03-11-2006, 07:59 PM
[A lot like bald eagle.:twisted:

quote=Brambles]I wonder what whale meat tastes like? With a hint of abalone ;)

yote
03-15-2006, 02:55 PM
...and a slight sprinkle of "Spirit Bear".

rocksteady
03-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Wonder how much of this is just a bunch of media crap???

Allegedly the tug boat Captain hit it in the middle of the night and saw blood and remnants??

How the hell would he know it was Luna or some other whale???
How would he know its dead???

Wonder if this isn't a bunch more media crap to get the tourists back since this thing had finally gone out of the news for a good while......

Maybe its like Elvis.......Luna has left the building!!!! Luna lives!!!

yote
03-15-2006, 03:44 PM
From what the paper said yesterday, Luna was hit at 9am and prior to that the crew was throwing sticks which the whale was retreiving, not exactly a smart way to keep the whale at a safe distance.

rocksteady
03-15-2006, 03:55 PM
I stand corrected..I have not been really following it, just from the little clips here and there on the radio.....

Also have not been paying attention cause I am waiting for those little black and white S.O.B.'s to come out on limited entry:twisted: :twisted: Then watch out....

Foxer
03-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Well obviously the natives and those groups who supported them are at fault. A lot of people said at the time that within 4 years the whale would be dead or would have killed someone by accident.

Irresponsible people doing irresponsible things. Guess they figured maybe it'd bring in 'tourist dollars'.

Franko Manini
03-15-2006, 05:09 PM
In the summer of 2001, the Luna Stewardship Plan was agreed to by the DFO and the natives. It clearly describes the activities and responsibilities of the natives and the DFO.

Furthermore, it describes the costs to the taxpayers and the relative success of the plan over the most recent 12 months.

From the Luna Stewardship Plan:

"Two patrols a day will cost $1024 per day. Full-time oversight for Luna and dockside education of visitors from May through October 2005 will cost $177,000 for fuel, wages and boats."

The results over the past years were "42 patrols covered <16% of the daylight hours and allowed over 70 unnecessary interactions to occur."

For $180k for just the patrols, that's pretty crappy results, and guess who was paid to do the partols! The native band. We as a society, and a government do not have the balls to demand accountability for our investment or for the downright absence of service and competence that was yielded from this ill conceived plan that was designed to bend to the beliefs of a minority in order to preserve political correctness. Given the activity list below, it's pretty clear who's at fault.

4.0 Activity Tasks
4.1 Mowachaht/Muchalaht
1. Public Information, Education and Awareness
a. welcome and verbal presentation of Luna information
b. distribute Luna Boating Guidelines and Information hand-out
2. Marine Patrols
a. Opportunistically provide information to vessels operators how to operate safely in the area
b. distribute Luna Boating Guidelines and Information hand-out to vessels, lodges, marinas
c. Observe, Record and Report violations of Boating Guidelines and/or Marine Mammal Protection regulations
3. Enforcement Support
a. record and report information to DFO C&P staff for alleged violations of Marine Mammal r regulations
b. participate in basic Observe, Record, Report training offered by DFO C&P staff
4. Emergency response/rescue
a. respond to marine emergencies as appropriate and within the capacity of the Mowachaht/Muchalaht staff and vessel to do so safely
5. Technical Measures for Public and Whale Protection
a. participate with DFO in tests to evaluate the use of the Acoustic Deterrent Device (ADD) to keep Luna away from the public dock and the float plane areas, if necessary. If it is determined that an ADD would be assist in meeting the objectives, develop an ADD use protocol with DFO.
6. Monitoring Luna
a. monitor Luna’s location, interactions, behaviour, travel
7. Coordination and Reporting
a. inform DFO of stewardship activities on a weekly basis
b. record and inform DFO of observed public interactions with Luna
c. record and inform DFO of the results of the Luna monitoring activities

Franko Manini
03-15-2006, 05:14 PM
More info on just hom much moeny we pumped into the native community of Gold River to NO NET BENEFIT:

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) has agreed to provide $48,000 in partial stewaradship funding. Mowachaht/Muchalaht had presented a detailed budget requesting $175,000 to fund the program from April through October 2005. Mowachaht/Muchalaht Tyee Ha'wilth Mike Maquinna said DFO needs to educate its own personnel about interactions if the project is to succeed.

http://www.westcoastaquatic.ca/helpLuna.htm

note that they have not updated the site to show taht Luna is dead. I guess they are still hoping to leach off some donors.