PDA

View Full Version : Bowron Lakes Canoe Trip Info

pmj
03-11-2010, 12:22 AM
I am planning a canoe trip for May 20. I am looking for any information or suggestions that may be helpful.
I have been told to expect snow at some of the portages at that time of the year.
I have been told that the first 2 lakes are best for fishing.
Any goat viewing in the area?
Thanks for any info.

thepitchedlink
03-11-2010, 08:55 AM
I did the loop a few years ago, honeymoon actually:-DDid it in sept, got a bit of snow towards the end of the trip. Fishing sucked, they were still deep I guess, saw lots of big carp in the shallow backwater bays. You might have better luck if the ice is just out and the lake hasn't turn over yet. The biggest issue is finding campsites if it's busy, if your there early season then you might be alright, but it's a busy place if the weather is good. If your using those carts from the outfitters to move your boats, take a tire patck kit and a small bike pump. We blew a tire on the first portage and had to drag the usless cart for the next 7 days!! I didn't see any sheep, but I wasn't looking either. It's a gorgeous trip, great campsites, pretty special to be able to canoe in the big mountains like that and be able to do a loop. Lots of moose in the early mornings. Have fun...oh ya, the restaruant at the end of the loop, at the outfitters, has really good food and it's not that expensive. Plan on having a big burger and a cold beer when you pull in.

Rob
03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
How long does it take to do the full loop?

LYKTOHUNT
03-11-2010, 09:39 AM
I have not done the trip,however I do live close and you should expect to see snow and it can be cold there, the ice may just be off and the water can be high limiting some campsites (this info from a coworker who has done it a few times once around the May long weekend)
I dont think you will see goats, maybe bear, moose and deer almost for sure. My experience is fishing is not all that good but I have only fished the main lake.

italhunter
03-11-2010, 09:56 AM

It depends on how fast your going. I did it during the summer and my group did it in 6 days. At the time there were people who spent a couple days camping at the sites they really liked and stretched the trip out to a couple weeks. So it really depends on if you want to rush it or take your time and enjoy the scenery. I think 7 days makes for a nice relaxing trip. We saw so many moose.

srupp
03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
expect snow STILL @ that time..
-watch out for winds..fast and furious =dangerous
- moose , black bear and grizzly are main big game to be expected..
-pack WARM CLOTHES, SLEEPING GEAR..
-not much goat viewing..
- fishing is pretty slow even a best of times BUT can be accomplished..

Its amazing to fly over there in a chopper..the water, mts, animals..skinney dippers..!!!!lol.
srr

Brett
03-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I heard you need to book this through the park , and that there was a very long wait list?? Am i thinking of the right place?

Ron.C
03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
I did the trip a couple years back during the last week of May. I can honestly say it was the best outdoors trip I have ever done with the exception of my goat trip. We had snow a couple evenings, and the temps did drop quite a bit, but it was comfortable with a good sleeping bag and the right cloths. Bring good raingear!!!

I don't know what guys are talking about if they say fishing may be slow. We were catching several "big" trout daily, upwards of 7-10 pounds, and we were not expert fisherman by any means. We used flies in the evening when we saw fish surfacing, and small spoons during the day. We found the two best spots to fish were on Isaac Lake. One was about halfway down the lake. There is a large river that enters the lake from the east side of the lake. You'll see the water is stained brown. We would set our canoe on the edge where the brown water cleared in the lake, drop a spoon to the botton, and jig. Some of the best fishing I've ever had. Also at the bottom of Isaac lake at the head of the rapids is greast fishing. There are several deadheads that come out of the water. We'd tie off to these and cast/jig spoons. Once again, awesome fishing using small 1-2" orange/chrome crocodile spoons. These were the better spots, and we also had consistent luck at the mouth of any creeks as the fish seem to be waiting for feed to dump into the lakes. We had fish with our dinner every night, regardless of which lake we were on.
Before you set out on the circuit, you have to watch a BC parks video and breif. After this, parks staff will help you plan your trip and suggest camp sites. They do this to manage the sites so you are not stuck looking for one at the end of the day. In May, you'll have your choice, as there won't be tons of people. Ask the park staff where all the cabins are. There are several for use "first come first serve" and all are equipped with several bunks and a wood stove. Also, ask where all the picnic shelters are. Parks Canada has built several shelters around the cirucuit with woodstoves so paddlers can get out of the rain, or dry cloths under cover.
We had a Griz in camp on night 3, wolves gave us a howling demonstation on night4 at Sandy Lake and a Black bear came right in on us on morning 5 as we were eating breaky, and more moose then I can count.
We took 6 nights/7 days to do the trip. You can do it faster, or take longer depending on what you want. Most days, we didn'y start paddling until 11am or so and were at our new campsite by 5-6pm. Someone already said, watch the weather. Some of those lakes are huge, so stay close to shore as a precaution because the wind whips up very fast. There is a bit of a detour you can take to hike in and see the caribou falls. Ask parks staff about it. It's worth the side trip. Drop me a PM if you want any more info or some pics.

Ron

MB_Boy
03-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I heard you need to book this through the park , and that there was a very long wait list?? Am i thinking of the right place?

Need to book........"yes".

How long the list is.........."dunno".

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/bowron_lk/

BCrams
03-11-2010, 11:14 PM

Piece of cake. Did the whole Bowron chain in just over 12 1/2 hours. :mrgreen:

Given the earlier spring this year so far, the ice should be just off all the lakes by the long weekend. Did a relaxing paddle of the whole chain another time in 3 days and another in 5 (during May long weekend). You'll avoid the crowds and the bugs going in May.

Most folks take 6-8 days to do the whole chain and there is some fantastic fishing along the route.

The 'carp' that one fellow mentioned are suckers. There are only a couple spots where you may see goats. Moose and bears are readily seen often.

dawn2dusk
03-12-2010, 09:50 AM
This is an awesome trek. If you live in BC you should do it.

It is not that difficult. Wife and I did it with some buddys. Buddys took a cooler, lawn chairs, beer, ice berg lettuce, fresh juice, was hilarious. Wife and I were totally backcountry light weight freeze dried everything. We laughed at them during the portages and they laughed at us during dinner time in camp.

We did it in July. It was busy and the bugs were really bad. It rained hard often. It was difficult to get fires going. It was awesome! Saw tonnes of moose, bear sign. I only had luck fishing in the first lake and the last lake. Isac did not give me anything.

We did it in a nice relaxed 7 days. I highly recommend taking your time. There are lots of things to do trails to hike, lakes to fish, wildlife to view.

You do need to reserve through BC pArks in advance. It is very popular and books quick especially in July/Aug.

Good luck

Danimal
03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
My Grandpa was one of the old timers who did the chain before there were any real trails, just the old portages. He went with my grandma up in the front of the canoe and one time broke his ankle half way through the trip, and had to walk on it the rest of the way out. He was tough as nails! He loved the area so much he had bought a cabin on Bowron lake and as far as I know it still stands and is named after him.

longwalk
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Did it a few years ago with my nephew. We did it in 2.5 days. That was with forgetting our food totes at the second lake and not realizing until we hit the other shore. We also put a hole in below the water line when we hit a sweeper in the Caribou river. I will do it again with my family in a couple of years when the kids are a bit older and have more leisurely go of it.

tuchodi
03-12-2010, 12:36 PM
My buddy and I did it in the late 60's and we left on May 24. We spent 5 days and we had snow on 4 of the 5 days but also saw the sun everyday so be prepared. The fishing was good and it is some of the most beautiful country we have in our province. You will take those memories with you for many years just like I have so enjoy your trip.