PDA

View Full Version : Lake Koocanusa

sheephunter17
03-10-2010, 09:13 PM
So i may be moving out to lake koocanusa sometime soon. A contractor that we work for is bidding on a 600 home development there and if he gets it then ill be moving out there for probably 2 years to run the plumbing end of it. So my question to you guys is whats it like there, how far from anything is it, is the hunting close, do you think this area could even economically support a development like this or is this a deal to stay away from? any input would be great.

03-10-2010, 09:49 PM
So i may be moving out to lake koocanusa sometime soon. A contractor that we work for is bidding on a 600 home development there and if he gets it then ill be moving out there for probably 2 years to run the plumbing end of it. So my question to you guys is whats it like there, how far from anything is it, is the hunting close, do you think this area good even economically support a development like this or is this a deal to stay away from? any input would be great.

It's only an hour or less south of Cranbrook. It's a boom area and will see lots of development in the near future (depending on the economy). It's a great area, great hunting and fishing, you'll love it.

Poguebilt
03-10-2010, 09:51 PM
you'll end up staying!!! Everything is close by....

sheephunter17
03-10-2010, 09:55 PM
you'll end up staying!!! Everything is close by....

haha thats what im worried about, i live in southern alberta right now and love it here, its got everything i want, but ive heard good things about Koocanusa too. So as an alberta resident now if i do move there how do i get things set up to hunt there? thanks

BlacktailStalker
03-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Great hunting all around there.
After 6 months as a resident you can hunt on your own when you obtain your necessary licencing etc, until then you have to be on an accompany to hunt permit with a host.
Sounds like you might not have much time to hunt though :shock:

boxhitch
03-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Development is killing the area, get in while it is still nice

brad ferris
03-10-2010, 10:49 PM
So i may be moving out to lake koocanusa sometime soon. A contractor that we work for is bidding on a 600 home development there and if he gets it then ill be moving out there for probably 2 years to run the plumbing end of it. So my question to you guys is whats it like there, how far from anything is it, is the hunting close, do you think this area could even economically support a development like this or is this a deal to stay away from? any input would be great.

to answer your questions; it has been a truely amazing area.its between a 15 minutes and and hour into town,fernie or cranbrook depending on where on the kooc you are.you'll be right in the middle of where some of the best hunting has been.the econimcal suport will be all coming from alberta so if oil is high and the economy is goodthe units will sell.

maybe you'll see me around the area my pick up is the one with the bumper sticker that reads "save an elk, kill a developer."

welcome to bc

hunter1947
03-11-2010, 05:28 AM
There is excellent hunting around the lake and surrounding areas.

There are small towns close by as for Cranbrook being the largest just north of this location.

Small world we live in I know the person that sold that property along the lake two years ago ,the property is not that far from the main cross over bridge of koocanusa.

This area is excellent for WT and elk hunting ,If you do move there maybe I can drop in when I am hunting this area and do a little plumbing for you ,this will help pay for part of my hunting trip ,LOL..

browningboy
03-11-2010, 09:10 AM
You will be close to Montana too!

sawmill
03-11-2010, 10:34 AM
And you won`t be lonely,that place is full of Albertans in the summer.

Jelvis
03-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Koo is from Kootenay, can from Canada, and usa from U.S. of A equals ...
.....Koocanusa ....now you know Joe and Joezee, lookin good at the ... Koo Can usa .. Gots some game!
jelly ( Billion ) Can and You Can!

Trapper
03-11-2010, 01:44 PM
All i will say is i haven't heard anything postive about whats going on down there,some big contractors pulled out because they haven't been paid.My boys were thinking of apply for work before, now they and some others won't work there now. Maybe thinks have changed.I live in a small town close to there so i hear everything that goes on at that site.
Good luck

sheephunter17
03-11-2010, 05:54 PM
thanks for the info guys, i hope it works out cause im pretty excited to go.

Jelvis
03-11-2010, 06:49 PM
...Mu 4-3 Gold creek from Cranbrook reach it from Moyie Lake ..
good area in there to hunt elk buglin, mule, whites, moose and more elk lol.
.. Lots a hunters to bs with too fair hunting in there..try it if you go...

duckhunt
03-11-2010, 06:58 PM
beautiful area!

Lillypuff
03-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Get your b.c. drivers license now if you want a hope to hunt elk 6 month wait no exceptions tried year b4 last

Kootenai
03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I can't believe you have never heard of the Bull River elk herds! The mule deer are abundant, and when you get sick and tired of gutting out animals you can go fishing.

eastkoothunter
03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Like everyone else said, Cranbrook is close, Jaffery, Fernie. Lots of hunting around, you might look to hunt further from the area due to the population of hunters close by. Good luck and welcome to the area.

Islandeer
03-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Full of Whities and Elk.

See you in November!!!

Jelvis
03-11-2010, 08:05 PM
If you want big huge wild whitetail bucks built like trucks it's like other areas are broke down and this one got a Peterbuilt .. get ready ......
...... New Gate for humungi bucks bigger than the ones in the reg 8 in 4 at New Gate ..
JElvi$ .. what's green and shakes? Jelvis Parsley .. shaking like a man on a fozzy tree..

bigben
03-11-2010, 08:14 PM
It is the last serengeti of the people of the kootenays ............... we have been discovered and the flow of tourism and development is going to alter the way life here has been ........but like everywhere in B C it seems that everyone wants a piece of paradise .......the scenery and wildlife are second to none in canada ...........it is an unbelievable place to live and like boxhitch says get in while the going is good because it ain t going to last long ............ be ready to pay too nothing is cheap around here either .........good luck

Jelvis
03-11-2010, 08:29 PM
You could enjoy world class hunting in MU 4-4 as well....known as the Moyie - Yahk River
You want deer? Fair Whitetail and mule deer and fair is good..get on the net-work of logging roads between U.S. border and Hwy 3/95, reached from Yahk and Aldridge and some moose in thar Billy. Check bc regulations for any general open season or leh each year..for your up 2 date knowledge.
Jelly ( what more could you ask for inn ) 4 I said four, duck, old golphers don't die they just lose their balls .. lol..reg 4 rocks big time

BlacktailStalker
03-11-2010, 08:54 PM
No season for moose there Jelly.

bigben
03-12-2010, 06:39 PM
No season for moose there Jelly.
Hey Jelly yes there is limited entry one tag odds are astronomical

Kody94
03-12-2010, 06:41 PM
haha thats what im worried about, i live in southern alberta right now and love it here, its got everything i want, but ive heard good things about Koocanusa too. So as an alberta resident now if i do move there how do i get things set up to hunt there? thanks

You'll feel right at home when July 1 comes along. You can't close your eyes and chuck a rock down there without hittin' a 'bertan. :D

killman
03-12-2010, 06:45 PM
I tried to take the family there, couldn't get near the place. To many white and red plates:mrgreen:

Jelvis
03-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Albertans Inn. lol, Kamloops in the summer, looks like Alberta plates omg. They drive like bats outta hell 2. Driving in form and in from Pritchard way, and the number 5 like hornets..Their families who came to BC and settled so now they gotta a place to Rock n Roll in B.C., Hey Bud, you gotta see this, come on out wholley looks like Colleradda or u tah, or new meh hee ko. From the dinasaur country to God's country, and that's it once bit, it's a Rocky Mountain High .. Cranbrook to WigWam from Gold Crick to the Pickering Hills .. what a thrill, it's worth the scenery alone out thar Billy.
..FORT STEELE and Wasa whatsa a stoppin yah? Chow .. you hitta my car I toucha your face, lol.
jEl El L .. Hunt a place behind the Motor Vehicle Road Closures and it will turn your crank..

sheephunter17
03-12-2010, 08:32 PM
ive got a german shorthaired pointer that a do alot of hunting with, but im guessing theres probably not much for upland game there, how bout grouse much of them there?