PDA

View Full Version : Turkeys around Nelson?

kebes
03-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Going to be living there for most of the summer (which starts in May for me) and was wondering if there were any turkeys in the area...I noticed there was a GOS thought I might give it a try.

OutWest
03-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I hunt a different area for Turkey so I wouldn't be your best source of info. I have however seen them in Nelson and the surrounding area.

gwillim
03-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Turkeys jsut showed up near Nelson in the last year or so. They've been on the east shore of Kootenay lake for a while. I see them up the Grohman creek FSR occasionally (no vehicle hunting). I think there are more around lower Arrow lake (Rialto FSR and up the Deer Creek). I also hear they are showing up around Kaslo. Not too many in the immediate area, but I assume the populations will grow as they become established.

Moose Guide
03-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Turkeys jsut showed up near Nelson in the last year or so. They've been on the east shore of Kootenay lake for a while. I see them up the Grohman creek FSR occasionally (no vehicle hunting). I think there are more around lower Arrow lake (Rialto FSR and up the Deer Creek). I also hear they are showing up around Kaslo. Not too many in the immediate area, but I assume the populations will grow as they become established.

they have been around Kaslo and up the Lardeau Valley for over ten years, the flock in my yard is over 20 with about 7 legal toms :-D

03-11-2010, 08:56 AM
they have been around Kaslo and up the Lardeau Valley for over ten years, the flock in my yard is over 20 with about 7 legal toms :-D

Do you need some help thinning out the flock?? :-D

Marlin375
03-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I saw a couple of monster toms walking up the highway just north of Ainsworth 2 years ago, so they are around.

Moose Guide
03-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Do you need some help thinning out the flock?? :-D

I'm hoping to get some for the local kids but if they are still on my porch after that I'll call you!!!

Lone Ranger
03-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Grand Forks, Christina Lake (I know its a bit of a drive, but whats an hour for hunting eh), seen plenty down along the Pend Oreille River between 7 mile dam and Remac. I honestly don't know of the specific regs in that area, but there were several flocks along the FSRs last fall. LR

..or its a lot easier just cruising the backroads around Christina Lake and Hwy 395 down towards the boarder around dusk. You're bound to snag one sooner or later with your grille :D