PDA

View Full Version : Arcteryx Bora 80?

Hadda
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Anyone used a Bora 80 for an extended hunting trip? Experiences, comments, etc? I think I might use one for next season, but i'm toying with the idea of trying to find a different rig. Sometimes i'll be carrying a rifle, sometimes a bow.

Jhors
03-10-2010, 05:28 PM
I use a Bora 70 backpacking. It is a wonderful pack to carry and will hold enough gear for a week or ten days with no problem. As far as packing game I used mine to carry out a cow rosevelt elk last year. I was able to load a complete rear or front leg in the pack. Even with that weight the pack was easy to handle and distributed the load well. In my opinion they have one of the best suspension systems going!

ThinAir
03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
I own a Bora 80- Well made/comfortable. Used it for years.

It's a nice pack for a couple/few days, but not enough for 10+ days in the back country. Sure, you can jam ALMOST everything in but, if your taking all the boned out meat,cape,horns etc you will have issues.

I went with the Mystery Ranch Kodiak...at over a 100 ltrs it has all the room I need. Well made and comfortable.

just my 2 pennies

Timberjack
03-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Anyone used a Bora 80 for an extended hunting trip? Experiences, comments, etc? I think I might use one for next season, but i'm toying with the idea of trying to find a different rig. Sometimes i'll be carrying a rifle, sometimes a bow.

I've had mine for a few years now. Unbeatable quality imo. Really depends what you want to use it for. Alpine hunts for deer, sheep, goat etc no problem fora week + trip. Probably not ideal for big game like moose/elk, however I did stuff 2 front quarters off a cow elk (bone in) plus the tenderloins and backstraps in one load once - handled the weight no problem.

I can't see sapace being a problem, especially if you are willing/able to have your bedroll or tent onthe outside of the pack.

Oh, and when it comes to packs, fit is absoltuely paramount, and what works for one guy may or may not be good for the next... These ones seem to be designed pretty nicely for a lot of people from comments on others who've tried mine.

One last thing, the waterbottle holder (on both sides) is as good any rifle holder on a hunting pack for holding the butt of your rifle. The straps on the side are very good for quickly and securely attaching the rifle. you just have to make sure your pack is weighted properly to even out the load - which I've found never to be a problem.

TJ

Hunter4life
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
My brother and I have used the Bora 95 for the last two seasons and have no complaints. It is a solid pack and can fit everything you need. I have done a 10 day Stone Sheep and Mountain Goat hunt and several other excursions with it. Although the mystery ranch packs and kifaru are supposedly better I would find it hard to justify spending twice as much. Also should mention that warrenty is top notch. The zipper on the top lid broke while traveling home from Oz and the entire lid was replaced without any questions.

H4L

Tarp Man
03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
PM lapadat for details on how his has held up. I am currently training for September with a Bora 95 right now. Once properly adjusted (see the Arc Teryx website for a detailed how-to) it carries very well. The load stabilizer bars are going to come in handy come alpine deer season!

harbinger
03-12-2010, 08:46 AM
I have the 80 and like everyone is saying it is great and the suspension is second to none. If you can get the 95 go for it but I'm happy with my 80. If you bone out the meat and put it in heavy duty plastic bags you can haul lots of meat in the thing you will just have to tie a bunch of stuff on the outside.
THe one downside to these packs is there is no small accessible pockets for "this and that" so if you want to pull say your range finder/binos/smokes/lighter/snack/TP etc out quickly when you stop it is all kind of crammed in the one top pocket. Bugs me a little bit but may not annoy others. It does have a full length zipper along the side to access the main compartment but IMHO that blows to open that up for something small once you are all packed up and moving.:mrgreen: