PDA

View Full Version : BC waiting time after sheep harvest?

Call of the Wild
03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
I’ve been studying the BC hunting regulations for a while. BC regulations are quite different and more complicated than the Alberta regulations, not trying to offend anyone. I find some information hard to find in BC booklet.

Anyone can tell me where I can find the regulation on the waiting time (number of years) for stone sheep and grizzly bear after a resident harvest such an animal? I downloaded the regulation document and did a keyword search “sheep”. Everywhere the word sheep is on the document the search option found it (from creek name to MU sheep season dates) and nothing came up stating a resident who killed a sheep in 2009 may not purchase a sheep licence in xx year.

In the Alberta regulation that is found in the license cost section.

Thanks,

Call of the Wild

budismyhorse
03-10-2010, 10:02 AM
at present, there is no such "waiting time" in BC.....for either species.

Alpine85
03-10-2010, 10:02 AM
You could kill a Stone's in 2009 then buy another tag the next year and go kill a ram in 2010. You can also buy tags for GOS Rockies and Calis and hunt them and kill every year. The bag limit is 1 sheep per year though. Grizzly is all on LEH, however if you drew leh in both 2009 and 2010 you are allowed to kill bears both years.

Call of the Wild
03-10-2010, 10:12 AM
I appreciate the fast reply. What the GOS stand for?

I've been doing a lot of research on the subject recently. In the past there was a waiting time after a harvest. What was the reason they removed the waiting time?

I'm tempted to move to BC for all the extra hunting but work and the great whitetail are keeping be east of the boarder for now.:lol::lol:

Call of the Wild

cavebear
03-10-2010, 10:16 AM
general open season

Alpine85
03-10-2010, 10:19 AM
"G"eneral "O"pen "S"eason. For the most part,yes you will sacrifice a few dollars per hour moving here. Remember though, once your knees are to sore to climb mountains the flat land animals will still be there waiting for you.

sako_300
03-10-2010, 11:12 AM
at present, there is no such "waiting time" in BC.....for any species.

I thought there was a two year 'waiting time' on Mule Deer bucks in 7B - has this changed?

budismyhorse
03-10-2010, 02:10 PM
I should have said "either species" ........I'll edit that post.

boxhitch
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Sheep had a one-in-three rule for awhile, but that is out to help with acheiving harvest targets.

Call of the Wild
03-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Sheep had a one-in-three rule for awhile, but that is out to help with acheiving harvest targets.

Thanks, that is great for the resident sheep hunters.

I think I read a post about resident under harvesting stone sheep quota for the peace and/or province zones. Now I'm thinking the outfitters who are running a business and knowing there was extra sheep alive for few consecutive year, they certainly considered they could sell some hunt at a very high price. I'm assuming they put pressure on MoE in the past to get the extra tags.

What motive made the MoE change their view and the regulation? Did the MoE decided to do the right thing at the time and allow sheep hunting every year to resident, even when a resident harvested a sheep the previous year instead of giving these tag to outfitters?

boxhitch
03-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Suffice to say it has been more recent that the resident hiunter has had to step up and fight for what is rightfully due to them, instead of having confidence in the handouts.
Activism.