PDA

View Full Version : Picking out moose areas w/topo maps

Kenworth
03-10-2006, 08:15 AM
does anyone here try to use topo maps to pick out good moose hunting spots for fall hunting?? Trying to research an area i have not ever hunted before and i am viewing topozone.

CanuckShooter
03-10-2006, 09:40 AM
A much better way is to approach one of 'the good ol' boys' that have spent most of their lives hunting moose in the area your interested in. Take along a box of yellow yummies..or a jug of crown....far more productive!! And way more fun!!

trophyslayer
03-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Take along a box of yellow yummies..or a jug of crown....far more productive!! And way more fun!!

So true so true hahaha:p

Fred
03-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Brother Jack would be one to talk to about this topic. He has been expirimenting with it successfully. Fred

Benthos
03-10-2006, 11:40 AM
does anyone here try to use topo maps to pick out good moose hunting spots for fall hunting?? Trying to research an area i have not ever hunted before and i am viewing topozone.

i did this last year, which was my first year hunting. after picking a general zone, i looked at topos and narrowed down my looking area to some good cuts and wetlands. shot my first immature bull. so, worked for me!

Brambles
03-10-2006, 12:33 PM

I did this when I got my moose draw 2 years ago. Looked at topo maps and found where I thought the moose would be. I picked a couple spots just not to put all my eggs in one basket. I took my moose out of my primary spot that year and the next year my wife took a moose out of my secondary spot. Both were picked out on maps before I even hunted them.

I have no idea what terrain your hunting so I can't give any advice but it is possible to pick areas out on maps ahead of time. I'm doing the same thing with sheep now too.

Brambles

huntwriter
03-10-2006, 01:25 PM
If I do not know an area I always start out with a good topo map. Knowing how animals use the structure of the land to travel lets you predict in the comfort of your armchair where you are most likely will find moose, or any other animals, for that matter.

If I narrowed down the possible areas then I go in the field and scout the spots I predetermined on my map. My first stop in a new area is always the local coffee shop where I listen to the conversations of the locals. This will often reveal where big moose have been sighted. Once on location I then scout for food sources, bedding areas and mark them in my map. Now all I have to do is figuring out what travel pattern the animal uses given the structure of the land and then from that I have to find the perfect ambush place.

As I mentioned in another post. To me scouting is the actual hunt. If I do that right then all I have to do is to be at the right time at the right place. The right place is where my scouting revealed that the animal will travel given the time frame and availabilty of the food source plus hunter activity in the area and weather conditions. Food is the most important part of an animals life. It is food and its availabilty that will determin an animals travel pattern. Even in the rut, I will scout for the food source. A male will go where the females are and the females are where the food is.

Kenworth
03-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Real heplful to this novice. huntwriter, you maked alot of sense to me

Thanks again all :grin:

Foxer
03-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Another good trick (depending on the animal hunted) to add to the mix is spend a little time 'road hunting' when you get there in the areas you've identified, especially at the midday hours when most people are wasting it in camp.

You'd be amazed how often you'll see animal tracks and other sign on the road. If you go slow and keep an eye on the road and the surrounding dirt you can often get some idea of where they're moving and how recently they've been in the area. Focus on roads that cut across between likely bedding areas and likely food sources if you can find 'em.

Plan on having your first lunch in the car and you might get some good indicators. That can also give you a good idea of where to do a little foot-searching. And be ready - every now and then you pop one up or see one when you least expect it :) A lot of animals have been taken in the late morning/early afternoon when EVERYONE knows they're bedded, right ? :)