PDA

View Full Version : lock a draw WTF?

brock77
03-10-2010, 05:35 AM
i was looking on line to see if there is any thing out there that resembles a range finder than can be bow mounted and could be used at full draw, and came across this http://bowdrawlock.com/.... there is some thing about it that just seems to scream dangerous:eek::eek:

Bow Walker
03-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Yeah - I wouldn't use one on a bet! :eek:

What with bows nowadays sporting 80% letoff, it's easy to hold full draw and wait for the right shot presentation.

Ubertuber
03-10-2010, 12:05 PM
:shock:It's got a trigger, it should/must be classified the same as a firearm. Keep it out of the bow season!!!:eek:
:wink:

OOBuck
03-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Scary!!!!.....

KB90
03-10-2010, 12:10 PM
I thought this is why we have crossbows. Is this essentially not the same thing?

Gateholio
03-10-2010, 12:54 PM
I can't wait for the next crossbow debate...:mrgreen::wink:

M@B
03-15-2010, 06:23 PM
:shock:It's got a trigger, it should/must be classified the same as a firearm. Keep it out of the bow season!!!:eek:
:wink:
So does a release.
But yeah, this is ret@rded! I thin aluminum rod holding back 60+lbs of weight while you sit right behind it!!!LOL!! You wouldn't think that it can be all that great for your limbs either being held at full draw for extended periods of time.

Dragginbait
03-15-2010, 06:36 PM
If you could mount that to a longbow you could have a longcrossbow and you'd be able to hit anything with little or no skill and still be able to shoot from the ladies tee. You can mount it to your quad for a portable tree stand as well.

Has the pot been stirred?

M@B
03-15-2010, 08:32 PM
I doubt the "pot" pertaining to this particular product is large enough to "stir!!"

greybark
03-15-2010, 09:19 PM
:wink: Last I read (several years ago) in the hunting regs these lock-draws were illegal .
Cheers

BiG Boar
03-15-2010, 09:37 PM
I'd give it a whirl. But I am a man, not an old geezarh so I can hold a bow drawn for a while.

BTFever
03-15-2010, 09:39 PM
yah they should be illegal.... you would think he would have been smacked in the hand a couple of times and learned his lesson.

I wonder how many time that old guy dry fired his bow developing the lockdraw???

nice bow too... when he was in his 30's maybe.:mrgreen:

tank_79
03-21-2010, 09:11 PM
ok so back to the bow mount range finder , is the such a product out there that does mount to your bow and possibly turn on when drawn back and off once releaced

Foxtail
03-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Darton was developing a bow with a "shoot-through" riser with a built in rangefinder.... I don't know how far they got...

Other then that... Leupold makes one called the vendette... looks kinda bulky though.

Gray Hunter
03-28-2010, 01:15 PM
i was looking on line to see if there is any thing out there that resembles a range finder than can be bow mounted and could be used at full draw, and came across this http://bowdrawlock.com/.... there is some thing about it that just seems to scream dangerous:eek::eek:
Hey guys, you have this Lock-a-Draw thing all wrong. It wasn't invented for anyone who can draw a 70# bow in the traditional way. I am the inventor, who at 73 was having to quit bow hunting because I could not draw my bow in a fluid motion even when cranked down to 47#, the lowest it would go without collapse. Having to raise the bow above my head to draw downward scared every deer before I could aim and fire! After many years of bow hunting, I could not stomach the idea of retreating to a crossbow. Using the Lock-a-Draw and cocking it with both hands and feet I can easily draw a 70# bow again.

The Lock-a-Draw has a button safety that is always on and must be pressed to pull the trigger. In that respect it is safer than a rifle. I accidently dropped my drawn bow from a 15' ladder stand and it did not go off. As far as the strength of the 3/8" aircraft aluminum rod is concerned, I have hung a 50# weight on it without its bending perminently. A 70# bow with 80% letoff only puts 14# of weight on the rod. On my sales page I state that the L-a-D is not recommended for any bow with a letoff draw weight greater than 25#.

The Lock-a-Draw is light, weighing only 8.3 oz. for a 28" draw length, it carries in the supplied quiver with the arrows, does not modify your bow in any way, and is very accurate when properly tuned. It is the only "hunting friendly" drawlock on the market. While I agree that it is essentially a vertical crossbow and is treated as such legally, I still have an "archery" feeling while using it because I am using the same sights and I have to be carefull not to "torque" the bow as before.

The Lock-a-Draw has helped scores of aged archers and those with injuries continue to shoot their compound bows.

You wouldn't really want to chase us old geezers out of the woods would you? To get a better perspective on the Lock-a-Draw, watch the video on my web site, http://www.bowdrawlock.com or http://www.crossbowalternative.com.:)

kako
03-28-2010, 01:44 PM
sorry you wont find me stepping on MY bow

KB90
03-28-2010, 02:19 PM
sorry you wont find me stepping on MY bow

Like he said he is 73 years old. It is targeting people who are no longer physically able to do so. So that is not you.

Thanks for the Explanation Gray Hunter, good on you for still getting out and bow hunting at your age.

Big Lew
03-28-2010, 02:53 PM
" I could not stomach the idea of retreating to a crossbow. Using the Lock-a-Draw and cocking it with both hands and feet I can easily draw a 70# bow again."
In all due respect, your system is essentually a crossbow. I give you kudo's for your ingenuity, but it seems more restrictive, both in general useage, and for "spot and stalk". Personally, were I not able to use a compound bow, I would opt for a regular, properly engineered crossbow. I'm not sure if most bow manufacturers would honour their warranties if aware of this application.

Gray Hunter
03-28-2010, 10:56 PM
I come from the UP of Michigan where the only big game is whitetail deer. I have hunted from a tree stand for the last 30 years, and have never tried spot and stock. You are right, the Lock-a-Draw is not suited to that. In an elevated platform it is easy to draw the bow with both feet on the riser just below the limbs. From a standing position for target practice I replace the stabilizer with a foot stirrup, an "L" shaped steel rod that threads into the stabilizer hole. You step on it rather than your bow.

As to the question of whether it hurts the bow to be in a drawn position for hours, I would ask how many of you unstring your compound bows after each use? The limbs are always being stressed. My old hunting bow is a 65# bow that I have used for about 30 years. It still has a draw weight of 62#. That should indicate that having the limbs under stress for a couple hours at a time would not dammage them.

The Lock-a-Draw is far cheaper and much lghter than a decent crossbow. It has all the advantages of the compound plus a few of of its own. With its invariable anchor point, the string catch, a beginner can shoot nearly as accurately as an experienced archer. Not having to draw the bow in the presence of game is a real hunting advantage as well.

A bow is only a tool used to kill game along with the crossbow and gun. We use the tool which is appropriate for the hunting conditions and our own preferences and limitations. I have found the Lock-a-Draw on a compound bow to be a very effective tool that gives me great satisfaction to be able to bow hunt successfully.

Gray Hunter

Gateholio
03-28-2010, 11:19 PM
:wink: Last I read (several years ago) in the hunting regs these lock-draws were illegal .
Cheers

What is the actual wording of the law, form the BC WIldlife Act?

Bow Walker
03-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Gray Hunter, have you tried dropping down in bow weight? Say to around 50 lbs? Still plenty of punch to get the job done but a lot less bulky in the bush or on the stand.