PDA

View Full Version : It's sturgeon time again!

Leaseman
03-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Well it is that time of year again, time to track down the dinos and have some fun.....:mrgreen:

Was out last saturday and finally found them early afternoon...... by sunset we had 19 to the boat (two rods) and had to break off an absolute pig at sunset because we had a 30 minute hard run back to the launch!

Nothing the the feeling of a sturgeon running up and down river with you hanging on for the ride!

Mike

bruin
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Sounds like alot of fun. Dad just bought a new jet boat after a couple of years without so I"m looking forward to getting back on the river. Got any pics?????

showtimebc
03-09-2010, 09:45 AM
I've never fished sturgeon, but plan to give it a go this summer! Sounds intense!

srupp
03-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Mike thats not surprising knowing your knowlege and skill..HOWEVER that being said it is cruel to tease us sturgeon wanna be's with the stories of yet another successful outing..sheeesh buddy have some sympathy for us who can only dare to dream..

Any photos???

steven

Leaseman
03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
We prefer to call them memories, not photos....:wink:...... but to be truthful, the bite was non stop and there was just not time to snap pics..... although we only take pics of fish over 7' and there were a couple close but just not close enough......:mrgreen:

Hoping for a repeat performance on Friday, with Nick along this time to do the "work".....

Will be thinking of you Steve as I sit on the mighty Fraser.....:)

srupp
03-09-2010, 01:33 PM
sulking in the pond....

s
r
r

doubled
03-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Mike, looks like the sturgie gods are with you. Pretty good success this early in the year. Sounds like you had an "Interior Boys" day out there.

Leaseman
03-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Well all is set for Friday..... with the weather change we might not get a many...... but you never know......:wink:

Will have three rods this time and a newbie along for the workout..... so there will be pics of this trip because of the newbie......:mrgreen:

Will be on the river by 7 and hopefully into fish by 7:20....

You can call my cell around 9 for an update.........:-D

doubled
03-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Good luck especially with the newbie, hope he gets a decent one and has to complain about sore arms.

bowhunterbruce
03-09-2010, 07:54 PM
19 to the boat is an awsome day anytime of the year,congrats
bruce

Leaseman
03-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Good luck especially with the newbie, hope he gets a decent one and has to complain about sore arms.

It is always fun with newbies as I just sit back and watch! The hardest thing to reach a newbie is the hook set...... especially if they are avid fly fishers.......:wink::mrgreen:

kgriz
03-13-2010, 11:21 AM
From what I have watched on TV it looks like you could carefully use a prop. boat on the Fraser to most areas as long as you didn't try to go up the Harrison....this is certainly true for a car-topper but could you use a 20 foot fiberglass with an inboard as long as you were carefull?....the river just looks alot different ( deeper and slower ) down there than it does up here in Prince George....especially as you get closer to the ocean.

kgriz
03-13-2010, 11:45 AM
And no...I'm totally stupid....I've ran the Skeena lots in a 14 footer with a 9.9 with no trouble, but that being said I can manually pick up the motor when in trouble etc....its just that when I bought my boat from a guy in Langley last fall we had to test it and he was deciding if we should go to "the river" or to Crescent Beach ( where we ended up going ), so I thought that there must be at least some spots that are navigatable in a bigger prop boat.

Dirty
03-13-2010, 11:50 AM
The River is navigable with an inboard prop up to the Mouth of the Vedder River. At this point it becomes tricky. You have to know your route or you will get into big trouble in a hurry. From there onward, in high water it is okay if you know the river. However, as the river becomes lower, lets say August-May, the difficulty increases substantially for an inboard prop.

kgriz
03-13-2010, 12:06 PM
I would have to check out a map to see how much sturgeon area that entails....I've been wanting to try it out.....just depends which boat I bring...obviously the bigger one is awesome for comfort but I'd rather catch fish than be comfy any time of the day! I heard that the best time is in October...ie. low water so I suppose its probably cartopper willy for me.

Leaseman
03-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I would have to check out a map to see how much sturgeon area that entails....I've been wanting to try it out.....just depends which boat I bring...obviously the bigger one is awesome for comfort but I'd rather catch fish than be comfy any time of the day! I heard that the best time is in October...ie. low water so I suppose its probably cartopper willy for me.

depending on when you came down..... fishing is great now and usally best oct-nov on the lower or upper river...... lots of places to fish lower and you can run ant type of boat there......

Leaseman
03-15-2010, 11:54 AM
well Friday was a blast.....:mrgreen:

Windy blew, it was cold and wet and wetter.........:wink:

Got into some smaller fish and some nice sized..... ended the day with 12 to the boat, four of which were over 7 feet......

Sent a couple of pics to Ali, hope when she has time she will post them!

Mike

Leaseman
03-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Was out Sunday too.......:wink:

10 to the boat and a awesome long battle with a fish we never saw....... made last years 10' feel like a lil'un!!!

srupp
03-16-2010, 03:45 PM
TEASE!!!!!

LOL

was in Hospital in the am doing MORE tests..and this afternoon doing interviews for a NEW LAB..to have come drool all over uncle Mikes boat..

great fishing results Mike

srr

newhunterette
03-17-2010, 08:59 PM
posting sturgeon shots for Leasmen :)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/leaseman/mike1.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/leaseman/mike2.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/leaseman/mike3.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/leaseman/mike4.jpg

Tikka270wsm
03-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Very cool Leaseman! Looks like a good day.