PDA

View Full Version : Wolf/Coyote hunting cartridges

Grumpa Joe
03-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I know there have been all kinds of discussions on the best caliber to use on these critters. The question I have is would a 130 gr bullet out a 308 absolutely destroy the fur on these suckers? Is there a possibility if you used a quickly expanding and fragmenting bullet to do the trick and leave the exit side of the pelt usable if you were wanting to have a full mount done? If so can anyone suggest a particular bullet?

Thanks for your responses.

Frontier

todbartell
03-08-2010, 09:07 PM
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a fur friendly load for a 308, or any other cartridge over 243. It's alot of power hitting a 35 lb animal. I'd try a tough bullet like Barnes TSX loaded mild at 2500 fps or so, for your best bet for low pelt damage. This hampers trajectory to about 200 yards. If you're seriously wanting a full mount of a coyote, I'd invest in a 17 centerfire or a 204. Although I dont usually suggest the 17HMR for coyotes, it'll probably work well inside 100 yards if you place the bullet behind the shoulder.

elkdom
03-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a fur friendly load for a 308, or any other cartridge over 243. It's alot of power hitting a 35 lb animal. I'd try a tough bullet like Barnes TSX loaded mild at 2500 fps or so, for your best bet for low pelt damage. This hampers trajectory to about 200 yards. If you're seriously wanting a full mount of a coyote, I'd invest in a 17 centerfire or a 204. Although I dont usually suggest the 17HMR for coyotes, it'll probably work well inside 100 yards if you place the bullet behind the shoulder.

hey tb, there is a new "calling" for you in Saskabush,:wink:

The Gov't is paying $20 per yoty, it dont matter how BIG the hole is that killed him, just a long as you can take in the 4 paws, yur in the money! $20 per 4 yoty paws,

so far they paid out $360,000 in bounty money, das about 18,000 yoties, or 72,000 yoty paws,, :shock:

Jordo
03-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I took one in Sask at X-mas with my 300 win mag.There wasnt much left. Shot it with a 180 grain Norma. I met a guy at the bar who says he made $6000 last winter. Some of the Huderite colonies also buy the pelt too, so you can make even more money off the filthy critters.

elkdom
03-08-2010, 10:43 PM
I took one in Sask at X-mas with my 300 win mag.There wasnt much left. Shot it with a 180 grain Norma. I met a guy at the bar who says he made $6000 last winter. Some of the Huderite colonies also buy the pelt too, so you can make even more money off the filthy critters.

and some people eat them, there is even more cash to be made!:???:

Canada will survive the current economic downturn, thanks to the mange Yoty! :wink:

shadow1982
03-09-2010, 08:05 AM
$6000, thats 300 yotes, thats good and plenty.

Are you guys serious about $20 per yote killed in BC?

elkdom
03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
$6000, thats 300 yotes, thats good and plenty.

Are you guys serious about $20 per yote killed in BC?

that program for coyote bounty is in Saskatchewan, and not all municipalities are included in the program,:)

not likly to ever see that type of open public Coyote culling happen in politicaly correct pinko British Columbia:?

Pete
03-09-2010, 01:31 PM
.308 on coyotes does make a big hole this can be overcome by being adept with a needle and thread. Shoot them through the body. Head shots are very messy and difficult to get back together again.

dukester
03-09-2010, 09:49 PM
hey tb, there is a new "calling" for you in Saskabush,:wink:

The Gov't is paying $20 per yoty, it dont matter how BIG the hole is that killed him, just a long as you can take in the 4 paws, yur in the money! $20 per 4 yoty paws,

so far they paid out $360,000 in bounty money, das about 18,000 yoties, or 72,000 yoty paws,, :shock:

10-4 get your butt over here. lol.. fur is worth nothing, get out and have fun shooting.

luckynuts
03-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Frontier,

I have shot 4 wolves with my 300 win mag. 3 recovered with the largest exit hole 1.5" the other 2 were 1". 1 yote with my 300 win mag was shot at 60' with an exit hole of about 1.5" 5-6 yotes with my 22-250 with 4" exit holes:wink: food for thought. My bullets were 180 gr TTSX from my 300 and 55 gr soft points out of the 22-250

W.

elkdom
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
10-4 get your butt over here. lol.. fur is worth nothing, get out and have fun shooting.

last time I shot Yoties in SASKABOOSH!:?, a good pelt was worth $300 :wink:

and for killing them I used a 30-06 handloaded with 168 grn match HPBT bullets,
worked real well, not messy,

SHAKER
03-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I've shot yotes with just about everything......... took one last year with a 17 HMR , chest shot faceing me at about 150. Ran about 50 yards before pileing up. Watch witch rounds you shoot out of those little rim fires though. We did some ballistics testing on some of them large oranges before last turkey season. Some penatraded right threw with almost no damage on the back side, some didn't exit at all and the federals exploded the orange with a nice tidy hole in the front with a huge hole out the back side. Shot several with my .338 with 250 noslers..... not good for pelts, took one last season with my .300 win mag with 165 nosler...also not good. Last one of the year was with my 300 ultra with 180 noslers..... I'm sure you can guess what that looked like. Took several with a 308 shooting match bullets and worked quite well. Haven't had much experience with the small bores yet... but this comeing year will tell.

FYI: Don't forget that a coyote is a fur bearing animal and must be recovered for legal reasons! Check your regs.

SHAKER
03-10-2010, 12:09 PM
last time I shot Yoties in SASKABOOSH!:?, a good pelt was worth $300 :wink:

and for killing them I used a 30-06 handloaded with 168 grn match HPBT bullets,
worked real well, not messy,

Didn't think non resident canadians could shoot coyotes out there? according to the licence a fur licence is for sask residents only?

Surrey Boy
03-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Luckynuts may have a good bit of reverse logic there. A slow expanding bullet may leave the smallest exit wound on a thin animal and still be legal. Or you could keep a few FMJ and not talk about it.

elkdom
03-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Didn't think non resident canadians could shoot coyotes out there? according to the licence a fur licence is for sask residents only?
no, you probably didnt think,:? but the fact is I was born in Saskabush,:mrgreen:, killed thousands of gophers,crows,magpies a kid packin a .22 Cooey:), moved up to Yoties when I became the proud owner of a .22 Hornet bolt action Savage at age 12,the last Yoty I killed in Saskabush, I was using an '06 and handloading, and yep, $300 for a nice fresh Yoty hide,

as for non residents shooting Yoties now(2010), no problem as long as they have a non-resident hunting license,
as for the current 2010, " $20 yoty bounty??" that is regulated to "residents only":wink:

SHAKER
03-10-2010, 09:28 PM
no, you probably didnt think,:? but the fact is I was born in Saskabush,:mrgreen:, killed thousands of gophers,crows,magpies a kid packin a .22 Cooey:), moved up to Yoties when I became the proud owner of a .22 Hornet bolt action Savage at age 12,the last Yoty I killed in Saskabush, I was using an '06 and handloading, and yep, $300 for a nice fresh Yoty hide,

as for non residents shooting Yoties now(2010), no problem as long as they have a non-resident hunting license,
as for the current 2010, " $20 yoty bounty??" that is regulated to "residents only":wink:

So this is a regulation change???? I went threw last seasons regs and said nothing about no-residents being able to shoot Coyotes and look'n at my licence from last year says "Fur Licence Saskatchewan Resident"
Maybe you can help clarify where I missed something.

SHAKER
03-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey guys I wasn't trying shut this thread down or be an a$$ #0!* about this... just wondering if I missed out some great shooting opertunity last season in saskabush.

Still see that bugger standing out a 675 look'n like he needed to get ventalated.

elkdom
03-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey guys I wasn't trying shut this thread down or be an a$$ #0!* about this... just wondering if I missed out some great shooting opertunity last season in saskabush.

Still see that bugger standing out a 675 look'n like he needed to get ventalated.

nah! the stupid thing is, the Sask Gov't coyote program for culling(bounty) hunting the nasty little mongrels does NOT allow non-residents to kill/hunt them! WTF?? pay residents to kill them, but disallow non-residents from sport hunting those vermin??

DUH!:?:?

SHAKER
03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Thats what I thought........ Hell I wansn't even think'n of the cash, I just love shoot'n them things. Thats what happens when you go there and tag out on your first evening the next 6 days get pretty boring being a bush bitch or the crew cab taxi driver without being able to pack some heat, look'n at them fuzzy tailed mongers running out to 5 or 6 hun and turning for the look just hurts.