PDA

View Full Version : CANADIAN wanting to hunt.

shark
03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
So here I sit on my computer dreaming of hunting in the Rockies and as I look into it I realize that there is something standing in my way its a little thing called 5000 to 8000 dollers that I don't have. So I save the money and go on a hunt and love it and want to do it again. It takes me five years and I go on a hunt again, with likely my wife complaining all the way to the airport about the money I'm spending on my new love. My point is why do I have to spend a small fortune (in my eyes) to do something I love to do in my own country. So I look into it a little further and find out I can do it in the states cheaper, sure would like to keep my money in Canada though. It seems like Canadians in other provences are next thing to being forin EH. So maybe I'll suck up the airfare and work for a Outfitter for room board and a little experience and I can travel to B.c. and enjoy this beautiful country of ours......wait a minute I think its ours.:confused:

Gateholio
03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Move to BC, and 6 months later you are a resident hunter. Easy.

rollingrock
03-08-2010, 11:58 AM
You can move here to hunt cheap. This country does allow you to move. If 5000 to 8000 dollars seems a lot of money to you, think about how much more BCers are paying for their houses to live here.

Krico
03-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I'd like to hunt Polar Bears in Nunavut, and Dall's sheep in NWT. Until I move there, that won't happen, because of the cost for non-residents. Boo hoo.

KB90
03-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Not trying to be rude like some others but sorry I have no sympathy for you.

If you love hunting the mountains so much, move here. We pay to live in this province and it's our resources. If you can't move here guess you should start saving.

Could you imagine the number of Canadians coming over here to hunt an animal such as sheep? There would be a lot and as a result, BC residents would have less opportunity.

But as someone else as said you can get a host permit and hunt anything but sheep and grizz, but you need to make a friend here first.

bruin
03-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Shark, if you can find a friendly BC'er willing to sponsor you on a hunter host permit you can hunt all but sheep and grizz.
What are you wanting to hunt?

swamper
03-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I think you guys are being a little hard on Shark. I feel the same way about going hunting in other provinces. We are one country, not 11 different ones. As for the cost of housing being high, if you don't like it, move to somewhere like Quesnel where housing is affordable, not like it is in the little piece of heaven you call the Lower Mainland. Give the guy a break, he was just voicing an opinion.

shadow1982
03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I think a joke is in order,

I would just move to BC. Y live in Ontario, if you can live in the most beautiful place in the world.

Tenacious Billy
03-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Yes, it is an opinion - but everyone else (whether they agree or disagree) are entitled to their's as well. There's no sympathy from me - move here, spend your $ in the US or spend the bucks here. An inter-provincial "free-for-all" on hunting rights would be disastrous. Your tax dollars don't benefit resources such as hunting here - so why should you enjoy them on the same level with the same access as residents.....it's residents that pay for it and it's residents that should enjoy it. Don't you guys have good raccoon hunting in Ontario?

Ddog
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
ya,,wait a minute,,thats the worse joke ever. first post is a whine and poor me.
i think a joke is in order shark.

shark
03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Ya sorry about the whine. Just had to vent a little, I feel a little better. I just thought Canadians should huve some sort of break compaired to other countries.....maybe 2000 instead of 5000.

Barracuda
03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
we do have a break. if you want to hunt BC then strike up a friendship with a bcer then you can hunt as a canadian alien on an acompanied hunt .

Tenacious Billy
03-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Ya sorry about the whine. Just had to vent a little, I feel a little better. I just thought Canadians should huve some sort of break compaired to other countries.....maybe 2000 instead of 5000.

Read the regulations......you do get a break.

elkdom
03-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I will be your friend in BC for 7 days, the cost is about $8000,,,:mrgreen:

but no Shootee the Sheep or the Grizz for $8000, that will be $10,000 extra:cry:

then you have to go home, and you are broke, and no longer my friend,,,:confused::wink:

shark
03-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Shark, if you can find a friendly BC'er willing to sponsor you on a hunter host permit you can hunt all but sheep and grizz.
What are you wanting to hunt?
I would love the chance to hunt Elk with a bow. Here in Ontario we don't have that many elk so there is no season, plus we don't have those beautiful mountains either. If anyone can help me out I could set up a Turkey hunt for them in Ontario.

Barracuda
03-08-2010, 02:48 PM
ontario has some wonderfull land especially up north and west . i personally cant stand the bloody mountains.

elkdom
03-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I would love the chance to hunt Elk with a bow. Here in Ontario we don't have that many elk so there is no season, plus we don't have those beautiful mountains either

ELK is do-able here in BC, 3 point bull or better and antler less, not Trophy hunt, just "legal meat hunt",(Sept 01,- Oct 31)(Reg 7-B, north east BC ) HL fee $75, Elk Tag $250,
provide all your own gear and groceries, 7 days $3500, Canadian resident only,,

quit your whining! lol:wink:

Jelvis
03-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Go to Alberta they got the Rocky Mountains too, lol. It's a lot closer to dover Ontario, lol.. I can see why your dreaming omg lmao...
Jelly ( Trapped in Ontario ) I'd rather be dead, I'd rather be face down in the dirt with a bullet in my head ... . I'd rather be DEAD! POISON

elkdom
03-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Go to Alberta they got the Rocky Mountains too, lol. It's a lot closer to dover Ontario, lol.. I can see why your dreaming omg lmao...
Jelly ( Trapped in Ontario ) I'd rather be dead, I'd rather be face down in the dirt with a bullet in my head ... . I's rather be DEAD! POISON

yep, or a guy can go shoot an elk ina "cage" in eastern Sakatchewanna, if desperation is overwhelming,,,,:?

lange1212
03-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Shark,

You seem to be getting mixed messages here.

You can hunt in BC but as indicated you have to know a licenced BC resident hunter that's willing to apply for a permit to accompany allowing you your own license and tags. You can research this for yourself on the BC Ministry of Environment web site.

This is not a commercial permit and therefore no money or gifts can be exchange for this hunting privilage and if caught will be procecuted to the full extent of the law. Illegal guiding is taboo.

You will have to be in the company of the resident hunter who's named on the permit. This does not allow you to hunt by yourself solo.

A permit to accompany will not be issued where resident hunters are restricted to Limited Entry Hunting. Grizzly is 100% LEH so no permit will be issued. No permit will be issued where a species is close to or meeting allowable harvest targets.

Although some have informed you no pemits to accompany will be issued for sheep they are inccorect. They have been issued in the Skeena Region because sheep are under utilized, meaning that harvest targets are not being met.

The application is send to the Regional MoE office where the Regional Manger makes the determination to accept or deny the permit based on criteria set out in policy some of which I indicated.

Another source to research is the BC Wildlife Act.

In the end you need to have a buddy in BC that holds resident hunting license and has a clean record. Yes they will look at the applicants record and if there's a no-no on there the application goes directly to the waste basket.

That's it in a nut shell:-D

pete_k
03-08-2010, 03:13 PM
You mean you already got to do it once. Now your complaining you can't do it twice?
Wow..Any sympathy you get will be hard won.

elkdom
03-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I would love the chance to hunt Elk with a bow. Here in Ontario we don't have that many elk so there is no season, plus we don't have those beautiful mountains either. If anyone can help me out I could set up a Turkey hunt for them in Ontario.

you see, somehow it just dont seem FAIR, trading a Turkey hunt for an ELK hunt,,
could just be a mistake, or COULD be an Easterner takin advantage of SIMPLE Mountain Folks,,,

either way, unless you find someone to fall in love with yah,:oops::tongue:,

your gonna end up PAYIN for an Elk hunt,,,:cry:

Ambush
03-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Shark:
I was born and raised not far from you. Tillsonburg area. In the early 70's, I was a young man, working in London for GM's Terex division. Got laid off.
I hopped on a plane to visit my brother, who was living in Canmore Alberta, which was a great little town at the time. By the time we drove from Calgary to Canmore, I had made up my mind to move west. Two weeks later I had my meager belongings in my car and moved to Alberta.
In 1980, I moved to BC.

Not once in those 35 years have I ever thought about moving back. I just got back from visiting my aging parents and other family and it just makes me happy I moved when I did. My folks are the only draw there for me.

Move. You will know in a few years if you're cut out for it. A lot of easteners just can't make the break.

Don't dream. Just do it!!

PS: we got turkeys here and whitetail, so you'll have to think of something else.:-D

MuleyMadness
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Honestly when you look at it, the cost you are quoting for a guided hunt is very reasonable if you are talking about elk hunting. Honestly that sounds too low to me, if you're including tags and all the little extras. Let's break it down, on a regular hunt for a resident, say I was going to go up north around Pink Mountain or Fort Nelson and hunt elk. First fuel, food, and accomodations to get there, call it $500 each way (I live in Kamloops). If you need the services of a jet boat or plane to get you into a good area away from crowds and off the beaten path, (as an outfitter would)at least 1200 for the boat, 3000 - 4000 for a fly in, food while out hunting, probably another $200 for the week, then you gotta buy your licenses and tags. You can fly to Calgary or Edmonton fairly economically, call that $700 round trip which you have to pay either with a guide or accompanied hunt. Total is at least $2500 for a resident, and up to $5000 for the exact same hunt you described. Quite honestly if you are getting a guided elk hunt for 5K it's a hell of a deal, and I would like to see the US outfitter that's coming even close to that for a guided elk hunt. Just make friends with people here, this site is a great place to start and you might be pleasantly surprised. Don't go trying to trade a turkey hunt outing for an elk trip though...that my friend is the definition of apples and oranges.

elkdom
03-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Honestly when you look at it, the cost you are quoting for a guided hunt is very reasonable if you are talking about elk hunting. Honestly that sounds too low to me, if you're including tags and all the little extras. Let's break it down, on a regular hunt for a resident, say I was going to go up north around Pink Mountain or Fort Nelson and hunt elk. First fuel, food, and accomodations to get there, call it $500 each way (I live in Kamloops). If you need the services of a jet boat or plane to get you into a good area away from crowds and off the beaten path, (as an outfitter would)at least 1200 for the boat, 3000 - 4000 for a fly in, food while out hunting, probably another $200 for the week, then you gotta buy your licenses and tags. You can fly to Calgary or Edmonton fairly economically, call that $700 round trip which you have to pay either with a guide or accompanied hunt. Total is at least $2500 for a resident, and up to $5000 for the exact same hunt you described. Quite honestly if you are getting a guided elk hunt for 5K it's a hell of a deal, and I would like to see the US outfitter that's coming even close to that for a guided elk hunt. Just make friends with people here, this site is a great place to start and you might be pleasantly surprised. Don't go trying to trade a turkey hunt outing for an elk trip though...that my friend is the definition of apples and oranges.

lol, this area of BC, about 75% of the non-residents booking ,elk, moose , bear hunts etc, are Americans, the other 25/30 % are Europeans, any one wishing to take a big game hunt in the continental USA, is welcome to it, cheap for non-residents ?? ,,,NOT!
Hunt Alaska?? wow! that is PAYOLA,$$$ lol

trade a turkey shoot for an Elk hunt in BC??,, NOT! lol:roll:

MuleyMadness
03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
lol, this area of BC, about 75% of the non-residents booking ,elk, moose , bear hunts etc, are Americans, the other 25/30 % are Europeans, any one wishing to take a big game hunt in the continental USA, is welcome to it, cheap for non-residents ?? ,,,NOT!
Hunt Alaska?? wow! that is PAYOLA,$$$ lol

trade a turkey shoot for an Elk hunt in BC??,, NOT! lol:roll:

Exactly....even for a resident to go up there and hunt it's not cheap, personally if someone was going to offer me a guided elk hunt in a place I wasn't a resident of for 5K, I would think that's a smoking deal. These are significant hunts which require a lot of planning, prep, time, skill etc, and 5k for one is damn near giving it away.

TheDuckinator
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Shark, the hunters on this site are some of the most helpful, willing and nice people in the hunting community! I do not doubt it in the slightest bit that if you posted a thread asking for a resident hunter to sponsor/accompany you that you would at least get a few responses due to the nature of this site. But also we live in the most beautiful place on earth so were gonna guard it :D Id recommend trying for a deer/bear/waterfowl hunt first to make an impression, maybe after a few times you can talk someone into taking you elk hunting, you never know.

Best of luck
Brandon

PS that was within 7 minutes of posting
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47679

Ghost Stalker
03-08-2010, 07:23 PM
i moved here over a dozen years ago. i grew up iq quebec(anglaphone) no speaky freaky deaky french thank you. i knew i didn't belong in the city. my father owns the biggest limosine company in eastern canada and would love for me to move back and help run it in his aging years and make a fine pay check, but NO. i would give up anything to live here on a modest unstable pay check that more then not leaves me scraping by for the privelage to live and enjoy my days in the heart of the rockys. there's no place like home.....ther's no place like home.. and this is it!!

Benelli FanBoy
03-08-2010, 08:08 PM
i moved here over a dozen years ago. i grew up iq quebec(anglaphone) no speaky freaky deaky french thank you. i knew i didn't belong in the city. my father owns the biggest limosine company in eastern canada and would love for me to move back and help run it in his aging years and make a fine pay check, but NO. i would give up anything to live here on a modest unstable pay check that more then not leaves me scraping by for the privelage to live and enjoy my days in the heart of the rockys. there's no place like home.....ther's no place like home.. and this is it!!

Respect for that, made me feel how amazing it is to be in BC

pete_k
03-08-2010, 11:03 PM

Bravo...well said.

hunter1947
03-09-2010, 06:34 AM
First off try to find a sponsor that lives in BC ,then when you do fly out to BC then rent a truck for two weeks and Joe's your uncle http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif ether that or come on out this way and work for 6 months one day and your a resident http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

hunter1947
03-09-2010, 06:37 AM
There are some big elk in Manitoba this state is closer to you..

Devilbear
03-09-2010, 07:47 AM
I have advocated a specific percentage of BC game tags be set aside for other Canadian citizens for many years, perhaps 10% and on a once per lifetime basis for each "special" species, such as sheep and goats, etc.

This would be easy to do by banning the travesty of wealthy Yankees coming here and killing our game for "trophies" to put on their walls in East Bumfu*k, Texass to boast to their fatazz buddies about. The increase in available game would accomodate our fellow Canucks and still leave more available for we res. hunters than is now the case.

A policy of this type would strengthen inter-provincial bonds of friendship and would tend to strengthen the firearms owner's community, while promoting hunting as a legitimate, traditional and socially beneficial activity. We have the game to do this and it should be done and ASAP.

No other "first world" nation practically gives their rare game animals to foreigners as we in BC-Canada do to the Yankees, along with special access to, control over and rape of so many of our other resources. It is a national disgrace that a native-born Canuck from P.E.I. cannot have a chance to hunt Stone's Sheep in B.C., while some rich Yankee can come here and shoot several of them simply because he has money.

This may not be a popular attitude on HBC, but, I am a true BC boy in every respect, born and bred, yet, I am a hardcore Canadian nationalist-patriot and it is what I consider the right way to treat our fellow Canucks.

shark
03-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Well put Devilbear, my thoughts exactly. A few people were wondering why I don't move out there. I had a job interview over the phone about a year ago and it looked good, but being my wife is so close to her family and my Mom having cancer we both decided not to go. My wife wouldn't leave her family and if my wife doesn't go than my 7 month old boy doesn't go, and I WILL NOT leave my boy. But hey maybe I'll retire out there.......only 1000000000085973 sleeps to go.:wink:

pete_k
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Enjoy those Pickerel and Jackfish.
Two things I truely miss East of the Great Divide.

Hotshoe
03-09-2010, 10:22 AM
I have advocated a specific percentage of BC game tags be set aside for other Canadian citizens for many years, perhaps 10% and on a once per lifetime basis for each "special" species, such as sheep and goats, etc.

This would be easy to do by banning the travesty of wealthy Yankees coming here and killing our game for "trophies" to put on their walls in East Bumfu*k, Texass to boast to their fatazz buddies about. The increase in available game would accomodate our fellow Canucks and still leave more available for we res. hunters than is now the case.

A policy of this type would strengthen inter-provincial bonds of friendship and would tend to strengthen the firearms owner's community, while promoting hunting as a legitimate, traditional and socially beneficial activity. We have the game to do this and it should be done and ASAP.

No other "first world" nation practically gives their rare game animals to foreigners as we in BC-Canada do to the Yankees, along with special access to, control over and rape of so many of our other resources. It is a national disgrace that a native-born Canuck from P.E.I. cannot have a chance to hunt Stone's Sheep in B.C., while some rich Yankee can come here and shoot several of them simply because he has money.

This may not be a popular attitude on HBC, but, I am a true BC boy in every respect, born and bred, yet, I am a hardcore Canadian nationalist-patriot and it is what I consider the right way to treat our fellow Canucks.

Bravo!!! Well said Devilbear.

squirrelmonkey
03-14-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm affraid Tenacious billy doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to who's financing wildlife management in BC or any province for that matter..
It's not the tax payer who's paying the bills to the ministry but ALL users of fish and wildlife , be they residents or non .
This is in the form of park passes, fishing licenses ,hunting licenses,and Royalties on harvested animals etc.
When you make a comparison of what non residents pay for these fee's etc. to residents. there is a huge difference ,roughly 4 times the amount
for the same licence etc.
You all don't know it but you need non residents to help fuel wildlife management programs in your province so you can enjoy resident oppertunities.
These are the facts hence why the governments of all provinces
support and encourage tourisim ,both consumptive and non consuptive forms
Tom

Manitoba

elkdom
03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
There are some big elk in Manitoba this state is closer to you..

damm Yankees! when did they buy Manitoba??:evil:

I didnt even know Manitoba was up for sale!:cry: now it is a STATE !, go figure,,,

Devilbear
03-14-2010, 06:47 PM
SM, after some years working for resource management agencies in both BC and Alberta and decades of involvement in conservation activities, I have to question your assertions concerning WHO funds BC wildlife management. Can you supply actual data to support your assertions, or, are you merely giving your opinion?

Are you a guide, or a "Guide-OUtfitter" or do you have ANY commercial involvement with the hunting industry or does a member of your family? No offence intended, but, you sound like you are involved in the commercial hunting industry, or, may be an American who resides in Canada and wants to be able to hunt here with minimal costs and regulation.

Lillypuff
03-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Now if you were in Alberta or Sask. I would trade an elk hunt for deer hunt any day but turkeys, jackfish, pickeral and ducks just dont cut it.

Theo722
03-14-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm affraid Tenacious billy doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to who's financing wildlife management in BC or any province for that matter..
It's not the tax payer who's paying the bills to the ministry but ALL users of fish and wildlife , be they residents or non .
This is in the form of park passes, fishing licenses ,hunting licenses,and Royalties on harvested animals etc.
When you make a comparison of what non residents pay for these fee's etc. to residents. there is a huge difference ,roughly 4 times the amount
You all don't know it but you need non residents to help fuel wildlife management programs in your province so you can enjoy resident oppertunities.
Tom

Manitoba

Ptfffff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tuner
03-15-2010, 10:52 AM
there is no place like bc anywhere in north america.the diversity of species here, is incredible.WT, mule deer,sitka,coastal black tail,elk(2 species)moose(3 species)bighorn(2 species) thinhorn(3 species, if you count fanin)
mountain goat,grizzly,black bear(largest in the world on van. isl.) cariboo,all the cats,tremendous small game, upland game birds inc. turkey.waterfowl,the list goes on and on.it's truelly an embaressment of riches.bc hunters are a blessed bunch,why anyone would choose to live elsewhere is beyond me.the the mountains,the ocean,the rivers and lakes,fertile valleys and plateaus,and even desert, we have it all.i'm thankful for it everyday.

Benelli FanBoy
03-15-2010, 11:23 AM
there is no place like bc anywhere in north america.the diversity of species here, is incredible.WT, mule deer,sitka,coastal black tail,elk(2 species)moose(3 species)bighorn(2 species) thinhorn(3 species, if you count fanin)
mountain goat,grizzly,black bear(largest in the world on van. isl.) cariboo,all the cats,tremendous small game, upland game birds inc. turkey.waterfowl,the list goes on and on.it's truelly an embaressment of riches.bc hunters are a blessed bunch,why anyone would choose to live elsewhere is beyond me.the the mountains,the ocean,the rivers and lakes,fertile valleys and plateaus,and even desert, we have it all.i'm thankful for it everyday.

BC is THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH!!!! Ive travelled ALOT, and I still guarantee that statement.

tuner
03-15-2010, 12:19 PM
BC is THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH!!!! Ive travelled ALOT, and I still guarantee that statement.
right you are sir!!!!

Barracuda
03-15-2010, 01:10 PM
the best place is the one that suits you the best .

There are many splendid places on this planet and this is not the best because there is no best. Yes we have lots of great and lots of not so great things.

Politics and gov aside there are a great many places that would be given the same title by its inhabitants

Benelli FanBoy
03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
In the real world we cant put "Politics and gov aside" so with that in mind.

BC is the BEST PLACE ON EARTH

Barracuda
03-15-2010, 01:21 PM
its all about how it fits a persons life.

There are things about here that are great and things that are not just like everywhere. Just because you decide it is a good fit for you does not mean it will work for others. It does not mean here is the greatist just because you say it is.
Even with the politics of the world some people much prefer the politics of differnt places .

For certain people it isnt a good fit (hence the brain drain or people leaving canada for more opportunity or better climate) and for others it is the only thing they know or want to know or it is the destination they worked hard to get to.

It is all about how it fits the person .
if every one thought that where they were was the best place then there would be no discoveries and there would be no Canada

Tenacious Billy
03-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Tom

Manitoba

Surely I can apprectiate the fact that dollars generated from all those things you mentioned (including non-resident licenses, etc.) help pay the bills. But do you honestly think, in the grand scheme of things, it's proportionately larger than what the residents pay? You're right, non-residents do pay 4 and 5 times what residents pay......but they should.

CDN GNR
03-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Shark, you have lots and lots of deer in your area, I spent enough time in Ontario, my ole ladys from Port Colborne, I've seen my share on the side of HWY 3.

Come out here for a holiday if nothing else, I brought her on our honeymoon 5 years ago and she has not looked back.

shark
03-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Ya! we hunt deer and go north for moose every year, I just want to hunt in those darn mountains, more for the experience and not so much for the harvest. I have taken the old ball and chain out a few times hiking, but the first sign of bear scat she does a 180 and down the hill she goes. I have recently set something up with an outfitter to come out and work for room,board and food. Its not hunting but the next best thing and at least I'll be in the atmosphere.....maybe it will help me with my B.C. bug.:wink: