PDA

View Full Version : Gettin super excited about a spring bear

Schmaus
03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Man am I ever getting the itch to go hunting. I was out checking out some of my favorite bear spots on the weekend. I don't know if I am going to be able to drive into my favorite areas for a while. There is still way too much snow. At work (Bear Lake) it snowed another 2 feet in the last two days. Kind of weird because it only snowed a couple of inches in PG. Anyway I got the official invite to be the backup shooter on a grizz hunt in 7-23 this year. I am stocking up on 250 partitions for my .338 win mag. I got a black bear with one of those bad boys last year and he hit the dirt before he knew what hit him. Anybody else starting to feel a little antsy.

swamper
03-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Definitely starting to feel the urge. Saw a small flock of geese flying through Quesnel on Tuesday. Sure sign that bear season is just around the corner. Might try for a Blackie with my recurve this spring, but only if Willyqbc is standing right behind me with the defender.

Gateholio
03-09-2006, 03:32 PM
I've been hunting quite a few times over the last couple of months.

Always something to hunt in BC:p

PGKris
03-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Definitely starting to feel the urge. Saw a small flock of geese flying through Quesnel on Tuesday. Sure sign that bear season is just around the corner. Might try for a Blackie with my recurve this spring, but only if Willyqbc is standing right behind me with the defender.

Chicken :p Me and my buddy are getting the itch big time. I'm gonna take one (or two) with the bow this year. At least, that's the plan.

moose hunter
03-09-2006, 05:06 PM
he he schmaus i will take u to one of the best bear spots ever 2 big males i saw up there this year and a few smaller ones icluding a slighty cinamon guy

Kirby
03-09-2006, 05:30 PM
only 22 days till the bear season is open. But another 45 days before anything is moving around here.

Kirby

rrfred
03-09-2006, 05:42 PM
not itchy yet, i used to rush into bear season in early april, now take it slower, .. will start poking around in mid-late april, just love spring time hunting.... hunting black bears is so casual, looksee here looksee there; naw- too small, naw- too far to drag, not today..... yep- todays the day, he's good- boom,.... fun....:)

Barracuda
03-09-2006, 06:09 PM
only 22 days till the bear season is open. But another 45 days before anything is moving around here.

Kirby

allready got some moving around here :shock: .

oldtimer
03-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Gonna be a while here too Kirby. Mike.

sealevel
03-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Any bear poked his nose out around he just rolled over and went back to sleep. It will be a while yet.

Kirby
03-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Can't complain, I want a month of playing with the new bow before I start hunting with it anyways. I always hope for that early wake up, but the bears never seem to comply!

Heres a couple pics hope they tide you all over.
BwanaDave and his son Sean.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/Cr_mclean/Seananddave.jpg
Seans first bear
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/Cr_mclean/Bearrugsean.jpg

Little chocolate I saw in late April last year.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/140Littlebear.jpg

Kirby

ratherbefishin
03-09-2006, 08:56 PM
I'll just be happy to get out on a hunt with my kids-see some bears,get in close enough for a shot but whether or not I'll actually pull the trigger myself is a moot point.I'm just as happy to be along now

youngfellla
03-10-2006, 02:07 AM
I'm counting the days till I leave for my grizz hunt in the Cassiar. May 1st and I'm outta here, gone for 18 days.:-D

Offroad
03-10-2006, 02:09 AM
The start of spring bear is like waiting for chistmas only worse. I'm way more excited now.

Schmaus
03-10-2006, 05:23 AM
Last year I camped out the first weekend of bear season and didn't see anything but a whole bunch of moose. Then the next weekend there were bears all over the place. I am just worried about the last dump of snow that I will not be able to drive on the North Fraser road by april. Will have to pull a couple of other spots out of my sleeve.

338 winmag
03-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Schmaus , i have a grizz draw for 7-23 as well , might see u in there , have u read the parsnip grizzly study done over a 4 year period ? if so what were your impressions?

Schmaus
03-10-2006, 03:12 PM
No I haven't read the parsnip grizzly study but I am interested where abouts could I get my hands on one.

338 winmag
03-10-2006, 04:42 PM
if you do a google search on parsnip grizzly it should come up for you , lots of small ones running around in there with radio collars on.

lip_ripper00
03-10-2006, 04:46 PM
good read thanks for the link I too have a draw in 7-23, but the way things are working out I don't think I can make it this year:icon_frow

Schmaus
03-10-2006, 06:18 PM
I started to read the study. It kind of worries me that they think that so many bears were poached or even shot in self defence. Another thing was that most of the bears weren't in top physical shape. I guess I will have to go and see for myself

3kills
03-10-2006, 09:52 PM
i cant wait either....here is some more pics of a nother bear kirby helped on last year...he did a good job last year puttin people onto bears....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/Dscn0514.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/Dscn0513.jpg

JohnS
03-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Yupp Now I really got the ich for bears ... just got my new little hunting partner yesterday and she is ready to rock those bears here in 4-17 .. good luck guys .....