PDA

View Full Version : Pre season scouting

BCKID
03-09-2006, 10:11 AM
When would be the best time [if there is a best time] to do a pre season scouting trip for moose/mule deer. I have a few buddies that do a spring fishing trip. Was thinking of joining them and do a bit of scouting. BCKID

moose hunter
03-09-2006, 05:11 PM
just go for spring blackie and you will find what you need:-D

BCKID
03-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Ya that's what my other hunting buddy says. He keeps threatening to take me bear hunting. I might take him up on it this year. But, if I go with my fishing buddies and him, then I get to go twice!! I'll have to think about that one.............OK I'll go with both. BCKID

rock
03-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Any time I'm in the bush whether its hiking fishing or huntin I'm still scoutin so I basically do it all year.

huntwriter
03-09-2006, 11:38 PM
My favourite time to do pre-season scouting in an area I do not know is the winter or early spring. The reason for this is that I can see the lay of the land and its structure but also what the other hunters did is often clearly visible at that time of year. The later is especially important where many hunters hunt and given human nature they will do the same next hunting season. Hunter movement will influence animal movement as much as the availability or lack of food and shelter.

Once the summer comes you cant see the structure of the land because its hidden under all the foilage. Once I figured out the land and how animals use it to navigate around on it I wont go back until a month or so before the hunting season and only to check up on some food sources and their availaabilty to the animals. Only then I make decisions where to hunt and what strategy I will employ. Topograpic and hand drawn maps are an invaluable scouting tool for me and so is a note book filled with what I have found on my scouting trips. Plus further notes mand maks on my maps.

To me scouting is the actual hunting, if I do that right then all I have to do is be in the woods at the right time and wait for the deer to walk past my stand and shot it.

Johnnybear
03-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Like Rock said anytime in the bush you should always be looking around. Old rub's, rubs from last year, trails, etc. My dog always finds the fresh sign first and is fun to take out scouting.

Fred
03-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Huntwriter has it. I was on a road trip when it hit me that in winter it is easy to see the prefered trails that the animals like best and which animals are using them. Being creatures of habit they will use the same trails in hunting season if they are not disturbed. Fred

CanAm500
03-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Me and my hunting buddy are going scoutin early augest.

BCKID
03-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Good excuse now to get er done. BCKID