PDA

View Full Version : !!Ticks!!

hannibal
03-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Was out for a shed hunt on saturday, no sheds, but the lady friend found a tick in her hair a few hours later. So with this early spring the little parasites are out already. Hot shower, check your clothes and brush your dogs. You have been warned!!!

rockdog
03-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I know your standards Hannibal. The "lady" you mentioned probably brought parasites to the party.

IronNoggin
03-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Already pulled a few off my pup over here on The Rock. Earlier than I remember, and yes, they are indeed out!

Cheers,
Nog

ruger#1
03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Get some of this J.R. Watkins, Apothecary, Medicated Ointment,It comes in a Green can that looks like shoe polish. Rub it on and around the tick, It will back out, If it has been on to long it will die and you Will have to pull it off. Go on Ebay and purchase a Tick Key, I have a few of them and they work great for removing engorged ticks. Take the tick to a regional health office for testing. So if you do need medications for lymes or rocky mountain fever then they will know.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-07-2010, 01:19 PM
I've toyed with the idea of using a tick/flea collar for a large dog around the upper calf area.....but I usually don't get out much for shed hunting....and still have not tried it.

SSS

cainer
03-07-2010, 01:34 PM
The mutt's had like 7 or 8 of 'em here in Pemby over February. Pretty unbelievable, since he's had 1 in the past 9 years. I'm a pro at removing those little *******s now-tick key is definitely worth it.

hannibal
03-07-2010, 03:35 PM
I know your standards Hannibal. The "lady" you mentioned probably brought parasites to the party.

Don't be foolish, I don't have standards.

BTFever
03-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Very interesting because I had a lady in my first aid class that went for a hike and got a tick on the back of her neck. she was scared to pull it off because the mandible(mouth parts) stay attached, so I had too early the next morning.

pretty early for ticks I thought.

Jelvis
03-07-2010, 06:27 PM
This is normal for in Kamloops about beginning half of March they appear.
If you hike the grasslands here now, you'll be crawling with at least four.
Jelly ( tick tick tick ) BOOM a tick time bomb ... suck your blood .. and you'll be parra lized ..

BTFever
03-07-2010, 06:33 PM
OFA 3 handbook:

Wood Tick Removal

*Place a drinking straw or a pen barrel down over the tick and slide a peice of thread down the straw so it is right next to the skin where the tick is attached.

*Tie a firm(not too tight) knot around the jaw of the tick as close as possible to the surface of the skin.

* remove the straw and pull the thread gently upward until the tick comes away from the skin.

caution! do not burn tick off as the head will possibly stay in the skin.

ruger#1
03-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Go to tickkey.com This is the easyist way to remove them. I have one in my truck one in the house and one in my pack.

OKtrigger
03-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I watched a movie last year about Lyme disease called Under Our Skin.
http://www.underourskin.com/film.html
Not all ticks carry Lyme but this film explains that Lyme disease can be really really bad.

mark
03-07-2010, 08:26 PM
OFA 3 handbook:

Wood Tick Removal

*Place a drinking straw or a pen barrel down over the tick and slide a peice of thread down the straw so it is right next to the skin where the tick is attached.

*Tie a firm(not too tight) knot around the jaw of the tick as close as possible to the surface of the skin.

* remove the straw and pull the thread gently upward until the tick comes away from the skin.

caution! do not burn tick off as the head will possibly stay in the skin.

Go to tickkey.com This is the easyist way to remove them. I have one in my truck one in the house and one in my pack.

Carry some cotton balls soaked in liquid dish soap, in a ziplock baggie.
If a tick becomes imbedded, simply place the cotton ball over the tick for a minute, the tick usually backs out within 30 seconds and will be stuck in the soap!
I read this tick removal trick on a shed hunting site, guys said it works like a hot dam!

LYKTOHUNT
03-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Very interesting because I had a lady in my first aid class that went for a hike and got a tick on the back of her neck. she was scared to pull it off because the mandible(mouth parts) stay attached, so I had too early the next morning.

pretty early for ticks I thought.
What, did you go over to her place for breakfast in the morning:)

Timber-hunt
03-07-2010, 08:49 PM
thanks for the good advice guys thank you

BTFever
03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
What, did you go over to her place for breakfast in the morning:)

close but no, she was in my First aid class, and there was like 30 years age diff. not happening.

frenchbar
03-07-2010, 09:54 PM
found a little bugger today crawling on my back...

Island Scout
03-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Pinch & Twist always seemed to work pretty good. And always easier if your animal is ok with you pulling 'em off!

sawmill
03-12-2010, 04:51 PM
close but no, she was in my First aid class, and there was like 30 years age diff. not happening.

30 years which way?If you are 18 and she`s 49 and hot,be happy!
If you are 49 and and she`s 18 ,be twice as happy!
By the way ,if you brag you have to show pictures.
Sorry, but it`s a rule.

500grhollowpoint
03-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Sawmill you are officially a creepy old man. :icon_frow Not too many 49 year olds would want to do an 18 year old. God, not too many 49 year olds want to be around 18 year olds.

nomad
03-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Carry some cotton balls soaked in liquid dish soap, in a ziplock baggie.
If a tick becomes imbedded, simply place the cotton ball over the tick for a minute, the tick usually backs out within 30 seconds and will be stuck in the soap!
I read this tick removal trick on a shed hunting site, guys said it works like a hot dam!

Sounds great, But I wouldn't recommend doing that. Anything that causes the tick to be aggrevated and back out on its own may cause it to regurgitate and that's not good! The only safe way to remove a tick is pulling it out carefully and making absolutely sure everything is out!

Jelvis
03-12-2010, 06:39 PM
If you heat a needle to red hot, touch the ticks rear end with the heat and that baby will back out, spit, look around and say, " Whoa dude you don't need to freak out, you got a major problem or whaaaaaa? "
jelly ticker .... tick tick tick BOOM!

shark
03-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Been shed hunting once so far.....sheds 0 ticks 2.

Muleycatcher
03-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Was up at the sheep count in Spences and woke up monday morning with one of the buggers feeding on me.I used the tweezers near the head with steady pulling and he let loose in about 10 seconds.

Jelvis
03-12-2010, 07:43 PM
You could ah bin pair a lieyesd, sick to your stomach and dizzy, you bin ........
..........thunder Ticked ..........You know where you R ...your in the Jungle baby ...
.. and your going to die ..... from Lyme's dee zzzzzzzz .. so get that sucker off you now
..Guns and Roses, .... or .. Pi$tols and Tulips ? Your Goinna dyeeeeee ...G&R
Jelly ( Two Big Gunz ) Ticking Time Bomb ... tick Tick BOOM!

BTFever
03-12-2010, 11:50 PM
30 years which way?If you are 18 and she`s 49 and hot,be happy!
If you are 49 and and she`s 18 ,be twice as happy!
By the way ,if you brag you have to show pictures.
Sorry, but it`s a rule.

haha Im 25!!! and the teacher... shes the student... sorry no pics, class rule