PDA

View Full Version : Goat questions.

springpin
03-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Thinking about putting in for a goat draw this year..Area 4:35 or surrounding area. I shoot .243 and archery. Any tips or tricks you guys can help with? Climbing or scrambling not an issue, as I have extensive experience in mountaineering...Is a .243 to light or what? C'mon goat boys give a guy some pointers...

Springpin

Moose Guide
03-07-2010, 12:12 AM
I would suggest that you use a larger calibre like a .30-06, goats are very tough! If you use a .243, use only primium bullets and wait for the perfect shot! Good luck:-D

EvanG
03-07-2010, 12:12 AM
No question a .243 is adequte for goat just make your shot count as they are tough animals and its nice to drop em where they stand. No experiance in the kootneays tho, good luck

springpin
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
I thought a .243 would be good enough....but never hunting goat...had to ask....so far 50-50 on .243...any more takers?

springpin
03-07-2010, 12:48 AM
how bout archery goat??? n e 1 get one with a bow or crossbow?...that's right i said a crossbow is archery...

GoatGuy
03-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Practice up and take the bow.

Go in mid October on and you'll find goats in huntable spots.

Get the video and take the tests on goat ID, select a billy and you'll be helping us all.

Good luck.

GoatGuy
03-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Seeing as you're from golden you already know where to go.

Post pics.

springpin
03-07-2010, 12:58 AM
hey goatguy...I've been tossing the idea about goin for goat with my bow...And I probably will..I think that'll be one hell of a way to hunt a goat.

03-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Shoot for the center of the chest, not for the shoulder hump it's all hair, there's 6" of hair on the back line and a lot hanging down under the belly as well. It's real easy to hit them too high or too low, especially late season when they have their winter coat,,,,,which is the only time to go in my opinion,,,,thanksgiving weekend or later for good coats.

J_T
03-07-2010, 07:24 AM
My hunting partner and I have been fortunate on goat draws 3 out of 4 over the last 5 years. Bowhunt only. We wait until late October. Start spotting mid October and watching them. Watch their habits and their movements. Maintain a good vantage point. Pick the right day, visualize a route, plan the hunt and go hard. Remember, with a bow, you have to be in with them. You don't have the freedom to reach in from 100 or 200 yards away. As you move in on them, ensure you are above them. They'll give you a bit more and won't panic as fast. Body position on your shot is the biggest issue bowhunting them. You want broadside and they don't always give it to you.

LYKTOHUNT
03-07-2010, 08:44 AM
First i have never hunted goat ,but that being said, most everything I have read suggests that goats are one of the toughest to put down, they seem to be able to soak up alot of power. I would think you would want to put them down as fast as possible to avoid them falling off the mountain where you may not be able to get at them.
Yes a 243 would kill them but I think there are much better options.

swampthing
03-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Bows are for guys who dont have guns. Take that 243 with a premium bullet and have fun. My sons dump moose every year with 243 and x-bullets. I am always amazed at what a 243 can do.

springpin
03-07-2010, 10:24 AM
I happen to really enjoy hunting with my bow...more so than my .243....The last comment is really pointless.

springpin
03-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Andy,

Good advice as usual..thank you.

Also Andy.

When is the R&G banquet???

Ambush
03-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Bows are for guys who dont have guns. Take that 243 with a premium bullet and have fun. My sons dump moose every year with 243 and x-bullets. I am always amazed at what a 243 can do.

Actualy bows are for guys who really enjoy bow hunting. And the moose in my avatar fell to a premium arrow.

Springpin. Since I only bow hunt, my suggestion is obvious. And, from experience, I can tell you that you don't know how close you can get to a goat until you try. I've been close enough to several, plus two I screwed up and one I killed.

Savage Man
03-08-2010, 08:43 PM
The first animal I shot was a goat , I was 12 and I used a 243 . It will do the job i'm not saying its the best cal. but it will do the job.

blackbart
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Much like all animals a fatal shot is a fatal shot, be it from a bow or from a .243. Both weapons will do the job, but shot placement is vey important when hunting goats. They tend not to drop on the spot, even with a fatal shot. Pick your shot, and pick the location that the goat is in when you shoot. You don't want to chase a wounded billy into the cliffs.

Good luck on your quest. Middle of the chest and center with the shoulder would be my preferred shot placement, at least with a gun. With a bow a little further back to miss the shoulder blade, but be prepared for the critter to move around a bit prior to laying down.

03-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Andy,

Good advice as usual..thank you.

Also Andy.

When is the R&G banquet???

April 10th.

And don't worry a bit about goat hunting, for a guy with your physical ability and mountain experience it's going to be a piece of cake, after all, the hardest part about goat hunting for most people is just getting up there where the goats live.

Caribou_lou
03-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Bows are for the guy who wants that extra challenge, or is taking advantage of some great early season hunting! There is an Open Archery Zone near Smithers for goat if you don't get drawn. Big goats, great genetics. Good luck in the LEH.

and if you don't go with your bow, the 243 will work. Just wouldn't be my choice.

cavebear
03-09-2010, 01:22 PM
I ve been on one successful goat hunt, shot took out the heart completley, 300 win mag. However the goat dropped instantly but it must have kicked or something because it came over the edge and almost took out my partner who was the shooter. We were lucky and found the goat with minimal damage and both horns still attached.

So All i am saying is even a perfect shot can still not work out perfectly on goats

BiG Boar
03-09-2010, 01:37 PM
375 or bigger work well. Or so I have heard from some billy hunters. Though even the 375 dont always anchor them.

BCbillies
03-09-2010, 05:52 PM
375 or bigger work well. Or so I have heard from some billy hunters. Though even the 375 dont always anchor them.

Any calibre from a 243 to a 375 will do the job . . . neither would be my first choice. The later will anchor the shooter slightly better than the goat! :wink:

MacMtnHunter
03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Why don't you try with your rifle on your first goat hunt. You will be surprised as to how much lead they can take and still stand. Unless you hit them with a perfect heart or lung shot then you are taking a chance. Typically they head for the cliffs when they are hit which usually ends up bad. They aren't the largest either making for a pretty small target. .243 might be a bit light, but with the right combination of bullet and bullet weight you should be able to take one down!

mountain ram
03-09-2010, 10:30 PM
I've used 308 Win. with 165gr. Hornady SST. Excellent results when combined with a Tikka T3 Lite SS Synthetic.
Shot my first goat at aprox. 200 yrds.
Have fun and good luck, go and get one.

bruin
03-09-2010, 10:39 PM
I would think a .243 is a little light though, as many have said, would do the job if put in the right spot. I would suggest anything from a .308, .270 etc. up to a .300 mag. Mostly you would want a lighter gun for climbing if you can help it. I shoot a .300 WSM in a browning A-bolt and I love it. Good power to weight ratio!

Surrey Boy
03-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Bows are also for guys who don't have silencers. My neighbours are about to lose a trespassing cat after I do a bit more target practice.

Forget the bow, the .243, the hiking. Get a Huey and a .50 BMG, fly to the top of the mountain, shoot your goat and go home all in the same day without breaking a sweat. Why go to all that work?

I don't bowhunt, but I aspire to become one of the men who have the patience and skill, and I think it's admirable to do your first hunt of anything the hard way. You can get lazy when you're old and resting on your laurels.