PDA

View Full Version : Skagit valley

TurtleGod
03-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Wanted to head it to Skagit valley this year for muley/blacktail. Has anyone been up there, any luck. Am I going to be wasting my time? Just looking for something close to LML this year.

TurtleGod. :mrgreen:

DBM
03-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Bring chains, when it snows it can get scary slippery back there.

NaStY
03-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Not to mention it gets REALLY busy in the fall....

Good luck..

Steeleco
03-05-2010, 09:15 PM
There are some good areas and good animals in there. Unfortunately for us hunters there is so much recreational activity all year long, finding them is something that is a learned skill and not, for the most part, a chance happening.

It can be learned but it's going to take some time. I can find deer off season, but have yet to find them again during hunting season.

TurtleGod
03-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Looks like I am going to have my work cut out for me. I like the snow so not to worried about that. The busy I don't like to much. I guess that can't be helped.

Thanks for the for-warnings.

TurtleGod.

gearjunkierob
03-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Skagit is best in late season with a bit of snow on the ground to keep the masses out....honestly the terrain around the Skagit is pretty steep and the bucks seem to stay up high until the rut so hunting the valley early (in my opinion) is a bit of a waste of time....although I still waste some time!

I'm not a road hunter so know of a few good spots to get out and walk...but I had to put a lot of time in to find decent spots.

If you do want to get out for early season deer then you will need to go up high. Check out some of the side roads on google earth and go exploring - just bring a good truck!

Honestly for best "bang for buck" from the Lower Mainland it's probably better to invest a few hours of drive time and visit some spots elsewhere, but if you've only got a day to hunt, or just want to get out of the house the Skagit is an alright place to go.

Good luck!

sfire436
03-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Wasting your time, no deer, keep heading east.

log_roller
03-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Wanted to head it to Skagit valley this year for muley/blacktail. Has anyone been up there, any luck. Am I going to be wasting my time? Just looking for something close to LML this year.

TurtleGod. :mrgreen:

Waste of time

duckhunt
03-11-2010, 02:31 PM
if you actually have actually seen a deer in there your one of the lucky few