PDA

View Full Version : chilliwack

3006pg
03-05-2010, 12:56 AM
hey guys if any of you are from chilliwack or have hunted there im moving there at the end of april and was just wondering if you could point me in some available hunting areas. not looking for anyones honeyhole just looking for a general area or direction. thanks :mrgreen:

r106
03-05-2010, 01:29 AM
The Nice thing about living in Chilliwack or Abbotsford, It's easy to go up the coq for over nighters or even day trips. There is a lot of crown land around chilliwack. I've done a lot of dirtbiking an quading in the mountains around there and have never seen much game. The terain in some areas can be very steep. There is deer and bears but you have to work for them. I've heard of people taking a bear or two out of the Skagit Valley. Up Chilliwack lake road there is some crown land. Around harison Lake there are some critters and tons of crown land. Most of the well known areas have lots of dirtbikers. But i'm a newb to hunting and i've been focusing more on the Merrit area. I'm sure there are more qualified people here that can give you more insite.

gutpile
03-05-2010, 01:56 AM
hey guys if any of you are from chilliwack or have hunted there im moving there at the end of april and was just wondering if you could point me in some available hunting areas. not looking for anyones honeyhole just looking for a general area or direction. thanks :mrgreen:
I will give you my honeyhole for black bear up at the hope garbage dump :-D

log_roller
03-05-2010, 02:38 AM

pm me when you get here ill point you in the right direction

3006pg
03-06-2010, 02:44 AM
thanks log roller i appreciate it :)

ElectricDyck
03-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Lots of beautiful alpine hikes in that area if you are into that, just pick up a back roads map book. A good way to get away from the masses of weekend rec users that fill the area on the weekends. A fun valley to explore and it smells better than PG too.

PressurePoint
03-06-2010, 01:10 PM
i live in chilliwack, to be honest, if you know where the honey holes are, youll be pulling bucks off the mountains all season. if you dont, good luck. the issue with the wack is that every mountain is crawling with ATV's and dirt bikers. i have had more luck drivin up the coq. for the length of time it takes from getting into decent hunting area in chilliwack, you would have spent the same time headin up the coq with more viable game. I spent many weekends hunting bear in the wack area with little success. i went up the coq and found tons of bears in the first day hunting. make of it what you want.

Note: like stated befor, there are some big bucks in the area and i have seen a couple taken out of the local mountains. i have had no luck but they are out there.

3006pg
04-22-2010, 10:31 PM
moving to chilliwack tmo fellas wish me luck!

tim3500
04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Better hunting in PG who in there right mind would want to live there theres only hikers , bikers , hunters and fishermen , only thing to do on your days of is hang out at all the lakes and drink beer & 4x4 sound like a lousy place to me. PM me when you get into town I will give you the scoop on some good areas enjoy Tim

3006pg
04-22-2010, 10:47 PM
o i know theres way better hunting in pg. haha as of now this job is just for summer but who knows it may stick

EvanG
04-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Dont forget you raingear

whitebirdfeathers
04-23-2010, 03:03 PM
I live in Chilliwack and have had very little luck locally. Lots of great spots to go shooting though. One of the more beautiful spots in BC too.

pmj
04-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi 3006pg,
You will need to change your name to 3006cw since you moved.
I avoid hunting on the long weekends in the Fraser valley due to all the dirt bikes quads and rowdy campers. Week days are nice and quiet. I go for late season black tail in November and December to take advantage of the snow. Some cougars as there is little hunting pressure on them.
If you are planning to go after black tails in the fall it is a challenge with the steep rugged terrain. You need to learn the habits of your prey. You need to hike to find them unless you get lucky and run into one on the road. It has taken me some time to figurout the black tails.
In my opinion better chance for black bear on the north side of the Fraser, Chehaillis and Harrison areas.
Some reports of vehicles being broken into in some areas so don't leave valuables in your vehicle. I personally have not had any problems.