PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

henderson
03-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Im looking for some info any really! Im 22 years old and have decided to get into hunting. Ive got my courses my rifle (303 brit) and now I need advice! Im brand new to this whole thing and want to start this season and my hunting life off on a good note. Thats why im turning to you guys, pros who know the ins and outs of good hunts and bad ones. Im intrested in going for deer and maybe spring bear. I'll leave it to you guys now!

Thanks a lot!!

one-shot-wonder
03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the forum and the hunting fraternity! Spend time reading and searching on here and you'll be educated on a ton of info.

Shoot at a rifle range and practise different shooting positions, become well acquainted with your rifle.

I would start by getting to know some people at your local Fish & game club. Always nice to hear first hand wisdom, maybe even team up for an outting.

Most importantly enjoy your time in the great outdoors!

.330 Dakota
03-03-2010, 09:35 PM
One shot wonder is bang on, meet some people, and practice your shooting, and one more thing--you mentioned bears....shoot some deer first..they dont bite if you have to track down a wounded one.

kgs
03-03-2010, 09:44 PM
I agree with one shot. I would seek out a friend or friend of a friend or relative who has experience and can show you first hand and can answer the million questions your going to have. I believe it would be wise to hunt with someone for the next couple of years for safety reasons alone. I do not know what experience you have but you want to learn how to hunt not get lost or hurt and be unprepared. I have friends who I hunt with that still teach me something new every year. Successful hunts come from hunting with the right type of hunters; ones that take it seriously and have what I call hunting ethics. Good luck and try your local gun range lots of hunters there.

Jelvis
03-03-2010, 09:47 PM
henderson you sound like a real cool honest to goodne$$ person wanting to get out in the wilds of B.C. like so many others in the world do. They live in other countries and provinces. We live right in it.
Study it, learn it, live it and use HBC.ca for feed back and to get access to knowledge and know-how from real top notch hunters who live in all areas of this province of B.C. and hunt all game open, it's world class big game hunters on here.
Have a great time enjoying this hbc site henderson and ask any question there are no dumb questions.
jElvi$ ..From .... Lo$t Wage$ ..Thank yah, thank yah very musch

shadow1982
03-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I am still waiting for a joke?

I am brand new hunter myself, i have been reading threads on black bears so much usefull information. I started this a month ago, still not done.

henderson
03-05-2010, 03:00 AM
joke is up and thanks for the help talked to a guy at work turns out he's been hunting for many years so ive been picking his brain as much as possible

.300WSMImpact!
03-05-2010, 08:40 AM
get yourself a truck and drive, and when you cant drive anymore get a quad and go further, maybe you will pass me walking, then stop and ask advise, ;)

.300WSMImpact!
03-05-2010, 08:43 AM
no but really, you can never practice enough, shoot as much as you can but make sure to let the gun cool between shoot groups, best would be get a friend and get out and learn as much as you can off them,

Downtown
03-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Im looking for some info any really! Im 22 years old and have decided to get into hunting. Ive got my courses my rifle (303 brit) and now I need advice! Im brand new to this whole thing and want to start this season and my hunting life off on a good note. Thats why im turning to you guys, pros who know the ins and outs of good hunts and bad ones. Im intrested in going for deer and maybe spring bear. I'll leave it to you guys now!

Thanks a lot!!
Welcome to the Hunting Fraternity.
Get yourself some diagrams so you learn the anatomy of the different Animals you may wish to hunt. Study them well becouse shot placement is absolut critical for clean kills, you dont want an Animal to suffer.

Next, and as others said before me, practice practice practice. Keep your Brass you may want to start reloading eventually to keep cost down.

Get out of your Vehicle as soon it is OK to hunt and start roaming the country side on foot carry Matches, Compass and a Chart OK OK perhaps a Gps and Binoculars sit down often Look Listen and become one with Nature. Good Luck.

Deer Sausage
03-08-2010, 11:46 PM
You've just found your way into the most exciting addicting hobby there is! Read as much as you can, talk to anyone you know who's done it and above all else enjoy your time in the field! Welcome to fun! Good luck!:-D

moosinaround
03-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Don't forget to look up books at the library as well! Oh and if you do post on HBC often, please, and I am begging you, use appropriate spelling, grammer and punctuation!!!!!!! Welcome to the addiction!! Moosin

Slime green cat
03-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Dont worry about practice .... just get your self a big magnum rifle and lots camo clothes....the animals will be falling at your feet :wink:

No but seriously, welcome to the site ... lots of great guys here ... you will be a pro in no time . Im a newb too, but sometimes feels like I have been hunting my whole life from all the knowledge acquired here :-D