PDA

View Full Version : North american hunting club

jakerazer
03-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi all
Are any of you members of this club? I am wondering if any of you have heard anything bad or good about the club?
They sent me a membership package.
thanks for any info

rocksteady
03-07-2006, 12:07 PM
I have a life membership that my wife bought me for Christmas one year....

Got a leather jacket and a bunch of other odds and sods when she bought it...

I like the NAHC magazine because they only hunt game in NA, I used to subscribe to Petersens hunting, but what are the chances in my lifetime I am going to hunt friggin rhinoceros in Botswana????? NFL !!!!

The only thing I did not like about the NAHC is they keep sending you crap, like books videoas etc for a free "trial" but by the time they got to you, it was too late, it was past the "you are supposed to return by" date so they try to invoice you....One quick email to them to stop sending me that stuff and boing, it was gone....

I like the fact that alot of their hunting is in BC, Alberta, Sask etc, rather than other mags, where they are all hunting ranches in Texas or elk in New Mexico.....

Makes for good bathroom reading, most of the articles are fairly short so you don't need to bookmark it halfway through a toilet visit and come back to it later (I know, too much information)......

Overall I would say its a decent magazine, as far as the club benefits, I think they are more suited to the US....

No offence bet better than BC Outdoors, etc....Too much fishin....

stanway
03-07-2006, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't bother if I were you. Seems like a bit of a scam to me. (Just my opinion).

timberhunter
03-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I agree with rocksteady. The magazine is worth it. Plus there is a bunch of online stuff as well, contests etc..

Try it for a year, its cheap. If you don't like it don't renew. But the mag is a decent read.

Marc S.

todbartell
03-07-2006, 12:52 PM
dont bother, its crap

Gateholio
03-07-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm with Firebird

A few years ago when they first appeared in BC, they sent me a trial membership, then billed me beofre I even recieved a magazone, so I told them to screw off...

They kept sending me magazines and invoices, which I refused to pay.

All that crap they send you you can probably keep with no obligation to pay. I know i wouldn't. They can send letters demanding payment forever, but they don't have any further recourse...

BTW, I wonder what mailing list they got all our names from?

todbartell
03-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Cabelas I bet

geno
03-07-2006, 03:22 PM
im a life member, i find its loaded with tons of usefull info. you can even test out new gear.

just like timberhunter said try it for a year and if ya dont like it dont renew.. what have ya got to lose?

Steeleco
03-07-2006, 04:36 PM
I tried it for a year, ONCE!!! I wouldn't, but for try it for one year, and then tell us which side of the fence your on ;);)

huntwriter
03-07-2006, 05:02 PM
I was a member for one year and then the mail box and email box got flooded with advertising. This was followed up with weekly sales phone calls. When I asked the sales office to stop this they got an attidude. And that was the end of my membership. The mistake I made was to buy a hat and a book of them and thus I ended up on their "preferred customer list".

For those of you who think you get cool stuff to try out "field test" think again. This is not a charitable organization, they are in the business of making money and the members are the milking cows. Before you accept any stuff for field testing read the fine print very carefully, otherwise you end up buying the stuff, "You used it, you buy it."

Nothing wrong with that, but don't think for a minute that your membership will contribute in any which way to the preservation of the hunting heritage. It's strictly business for this Club, as in making money of their members.

Just in case someone thinks that I write this because I am bitter. I am not. I was a member and then found out that the benefits are not worth the membership fee, being harassed by their sales office 24/7 was just the last straw needed to make up my mind.

tomigunz
03-07-2006, 06:29 PM
My dads a life member and has been receiving all these field test crap, nut he asked me last night will he have to pay for the crap, and now i c the answer is yes, so id better fill him in on this info.Good job guys.

Johnnybear
03-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I won't renew my membership after the year is up. I enjoy some of the articles in the mag but that is it. I got the cook book but other than that I won't exept anything else from these guys. I'll donate my money to a worthy organization instead. One that actually does something for us hunters other than take our money. I wouldn't do it again and I don't recommend it to anyone else.

hutch
03-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I belonged to it for a couple of years wouldnt do it again. I got tired of sending stuff back and having to pay for things I forgot to send back, like the 200.00 knap sack.

Husky7mm
03-07-2006, 08:06 PM
This company is just a marketing scheme. Good deals at first but.... the prices keep going up. Send back the product and they say they didnt get it. Still looking for the money.They tell you you have been choosen to test product because your an elite hunter.How would they know that? Its a bunch of crap! Save yor self the greif.

Tank
03-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I seem to get an ad from these guys shortly after every cabales purchase......hmmm

wetcoastwillie
03-07-2006, 08:48 PM
The magazine is not bad.

As most people have said, they kill you with all the other crap they try to flog.

huntwriter
03-07-2006, 09:06 PM
I seem to get an ad from these guys shortly after every cabales purchase......hmmm
That is how big wholesale companies make huge amounts of money. They sell your address, name, email and/or phone number to other large companies. An average information list with up to 1000 addresses can be sold up to US$ 20'000.00.

There is a tiny little check box at the bottom of every mail order form at the bottom right or left hand corner. If you do not wish that your information is passed on to others you need to check this little box.

Another Club which works on the same scheme is "Buckmasters". Stay away from them too.

bigwhiteys
03-07-2006, 09:21 PM
There are MANY other tricks that lead generators will use to lure you into their lists and I can guarantee you it isn't just Cabellas.

Have you ever requested a catalogue from any outdoor outfit?

Have you ever signed up to receive a FREE gift of some type?

Have you ever subscribed to a hunting/fishing/outdoors magazine?

Have you ever put your name into a draw to win any type of outdoor prizes?

If you've done any of the above you can count on your name and contact information being bought and sold.

Cabellas makes a shit load more money from their OWN list without having to resort to selling it to other outfits. They may do so but I reckon that your names have all been harvested from other sources then cabellas.

It costs more money for these big businesses to acquire NEW customers than it does for them to keep old customers as repeat buyers.

Happy Hunting!
Carl Sorensen

PS... My dad gets the NAHC magazines and has for as long as I can remember he probably has a lifetime membership. I always read them when I am on the sh*tter whenever I am up there to visit. I don't remember him ever complaining about the "test gear" sent to him so maybe he sorted that out with them earlier.

I don't subscribe to any hunting magazines I just go to the magazine store and pickup whatever looks appealing.

Gateholio
03-07-2006, 10:21 PM
If they are sending you stuff unsolicited, just keep it.

Forget about sending it back, and don't pay them.

What are they goingto do? Sue you for a $40 pocketknife?

Most people that they send an invoice to, pays it. If they dont' they get threatening letters.

The NAHC is so dumbthat they keep asking me to become a member even after I refused to pay for thier crap magazine. They sent me nasty letter s and gave up. That was 5 years ago.

I keep getitng thier literature....:rolleyes:

Darren
03-08-2006, 08:42 PM
I agree, right after a cabelas order, I got a package from the NAHC.

Offroad
03-08-2006, 08:42 PM
They do not charge for the field test stuff, and yes you can win some very cool stuff in their contests. I entered thier online one and won a ten point elite qx4 cross bow system. This came with everything and I mean everthing, acudraw 50, scope, sling, case, bolts, two sets of broadheads. etc, etc.... What this would have cost me to buy I would have never spent. (around 1200$ US) I know that this is not the norm but before you bad mouth organizations get your facts straight. I have never been billed for this or had to pay sent. Yes they do send out books and videos to you but they will stop if you ask. Other than my membership dues and the couple books I bought I have never had any other bills from them. IMHO check out for yourself and make up your own mind.

Birddog
03-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Funny a membership from these guys showed up in my mail today, and so did my new Cabelas spring master cataloge. Strange they both had return adresses from Ontario. Wierd eh.:cool: :mrgreen:

Birddog

Marc
03-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I like it when they say that this is a one time and one time only offer and they kept sending me the joining packages every 6 months or so until I moved to BC. If you like reading about huntin in the states then fill your boots. It's not for me.

Marc.

huntwriter
03-08-2006, 10:44 PM
It must be a new member drive, because I got a member application too in the mail today. Yet, five years ago I cancelled my membership and after still been harrased with phone calls and "choosen member benefit" trash mail for moths afterwards I phoned them up an made it known, in no uncertain language, that I do not appriciate to be kept on the memebr list or "prefered customer list". The lady on the phone apologized, "...sorry Sir, I am just doing what I am told but I will make sure your address will be removed from our records."

It seems I have been enterd again into their data and feel another phone call is needed.:evil:

huntwriter
03-08-2006, 10:52 PM
They do not charge for the field test stuff, and yes you can win some very cool stuff in their contests. I entered thier online one and won a ten point elite qx4 cross bow system. This came with everything and I mean everthing, acudraw 50, scope, sling, case, bolts, two sets of broadheads. etc, etc.... What this would have cost me to buy I would have never spent. (around 1200$ US) I know that this is not the norm but before you bad mouth organizations get your facts straight. I have never been billed for this or had to pay sent. Yes they do send out books and videos to you but they will stop if you ask. Other than my membership dues and the couple books I bought I have never had any other bills from them. IMHO check out for yourself and make up your own mind.

You must be one of the lucky onse then. Tell me about when you get harrased in the future when they make you feel guilty for winning and that now it would be nice if you buy something to become eligable to win more stuff.

If this club works for you and you are happy with it then that is great for you. But most people who "bad mouth" this club have due reason to do so. Not everybody appreciates to be harassed. Ask some of the hunters who booked "cheap" hunts with that club only to find out later that they paid twice as much as if they would have booked the hunt with a regular outfitter.

Like I said if it works for you then that is great and I am happy for you.

Gateholio
03-09-2006, 03:48 PM

Here are the facts:

They sent me a card that said "No risk, try out our magazine, if you don't like it, just cancel on your first bill"

So I sent the card back and said yes, I'll try it out.

I then recieved an invoice that asked for payment, I had not recieved a amgazine yet. So I didn't pay.As instructed, I write CANCEL on the invoice and send it back in disgust.

I get another invoice, and another, I still dont' pay, because I have not seen a magazine yet.
The magazines start showing up. (I think I got 3 or 4 in total. and the magazines were absolute crap)

More invoices

Letters demanding payment. I htink I even got phone calls...

Etc..

They sent me letters demanding payment, threats of legal action, etc even though I did as they asked and canceled.

I never paid, and never will.

In fact, I thik I am goign to send the card I just recieved back to them, and see what transpires after I write CANCEL on the invoice.:-D

Darren
03-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Funny a membership from these guys showed up in my mail today, and so did my new Cabelas spring master cataloge. Strange they both had return adresses from Ontario. Wierd eh.:cool: :mrgreen:

Birddog

I got a Cabelas catalogue in the mail yesterday, NAHC package showed up today.

Darren
03-09-2006, 09:09 PM
I like how u get to scratch the thing to see what prize u will get for joining. 1 of 2 books, or if u are really lucky u could even win both. Ive been "really lucky" every time, lol. How could I refuse that offer:roll: lol

Offroad
03-10-2006, 02:04 AM
I won this cross bow over a year ago and have not harrassed by them to buy anything. The books and videos where a bit of a pain but one phone call stopped that. I'm sorry if others have had a bad experience with them. I was just trying to point out that not everyone has. The main thing for me is getting info hunting in the states as I would like to in the future. At no point have they harrased me or tried to guilt me into buying anything, sorry if it happened to you. This is just my experience with them so far. I put a stop to the books and videos before I won the crossbow and haven't recieved any since.

huntwriter
03-10-2006, 04:29 PM
I won this cross bow over a year ago and have not harrassed by them to buy anything. The books and videos where a bit of a pain but one phone call stopped that. I'm sorry if others have had a bad experience with them. I was just trying to point out that not everyone has. The main thing for me is getting info hunting in the states as I would like to in the future. At no point have they harrased me or tried to guilt me into buying anything, sorry if it happened to you. This is just my experience with them so far. I put a stop to the books and videos before I won the crossbow and haven't recieved any since.

As I said before, if it works for you then I am happy for you. Just keep your eyes peeled and read all the small print when ever you get something sent to you from them.

Good Luck

If you want to go hunting in the states I can help you a bit too with advice. I have lived and hunted in America 10 years before love lured me to Canada.:-D Mainly in the Midwest of America, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Kansas, Wisconsin and such places.

The Ogre
03-11-2006, 11:12 PM
NAHC is a joke..................they are just cranking in funds and are stating to operate like the Readers Digest Sweepstakes.

There are better places to spend your money!