PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunt

bushguy
03-01-2010, 08:49 PM
How "capable" can a guy become in 6 weeks with a bow,,,,I want to try get a bear with a bow,have shot it 3 times at 20 yards,,,,2 bulls,n 1 screw up,when i forgot to look thru peep site on string,,,,what are the small things that go wrong???things an experienced archer would think to watch for?Do I just think im ok at it,,,cause it was only 20 yards? how much harder is it to shoot ,say 30 yards accurately? Comments please,,

Brew
03-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Practice 8 hours a day everyday and maybe you will be ready. Go to any 3d shoot in your area and try that. I would say practice practice practice until sept before hunting.

bushguy
03-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Its a spring hunt,,,,,,,:icon_frow

kako
03-01-2010, 09:02 PM
best advice i can give you is respect your limitations.if you go 30 yards max animal broadside etc.dont just throw arrows because you can ,,just my 2 cents

Brew
03-01-2010, 09:02 PM
I know its a spring hunt. I'm saying wait till september. But only you know how good you can shoot.

Ddog
03-01-2010, 09:10 PM
first off, what bow? it says you have shot it 3 times and taken 2 animals? So what seems to be the problem?
you want to shoot further, you need to practice more, obviously. i would practice at least 2 hours a day a different positions, you know, the kind of positions you may find yourself in in an actual hunt. Behind a tree, on one knee, through small openings, down, up. All of those things. Practice at 20 - 40 yards with all those scenarios. You can shoot longer but the longer the untrained arm shoots (in the beginning) the weeker the muscle gets, or tired, so you may find yourself getting worse shots off if you go for a longer period of time.
You have ample time for a spring bear hunt, but the key is to practice before you go, make sure you feel comfortable and confident in the shot before you actually release an arrow at an animal.

bushguy
03-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I know its a spring hunt. I'm saying wait till september. But only you know how good you can shoot.

Oh I gotcha now,duh,,,,thanks !Are you a bowhunter Brew?,,,,any tips,as far as ,,,,wind deflection,small noises that you may inadvertantly make while drawing ,stalking,etc etc,steep angle shots Re arrow arc?,is the trajectory affected like with a rifle at distance?Will a leaf deflect a broadhead?grass? etc,,something fairly common that could go wrong,and im not gonna think of it?

blaker_99
03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Bushguy,
The absolute best advice i could ever give any new bow owner would be to copete in as many 3D shoot as possible It doesnt get much "realer" than that....They prepare you for all sorts of shots, through trees, down baks, up hill, over logs and so much more. i've shot in quite a few 3D shoot and i deffiently have benifited a lot from them. Good luck and get confidence out to a certain range and stick with it. Dont go beyond your comfort zone as it will increase your odds of marginal and poor shots. Good luck bud. Shoot straight.

.300WSMImpact!
03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I shoot 100 arrows a night in my house, it is only 12 yards but it is the technique that will improve, I think you could be ready for bear but you need to shoot a lot, and then go to the 3D shoots, one coming up this weekend in summerland go to it you will be able to tell after that,

bushguy
03-01-2010, 09:20 PM
first off, what bow? it says you have shot it 3 times and taken 2 animals? So what seems to be the problem?
you want to shoot further, you need to practice more, obviously. i would practice at least 2 hours a day a different positions, you know, the kind of positions you may find yourself in in an actual hunt. Behind a tree, on one knee, through small openings, down, up. All of those things. Practice at 20 - 40 yards with all those scenarios. You can shoot longer but the longer the untrained arm shoots (in the beginning) the weeker the muscle gets, or tired, so you may find yourself getting worse shots off if you go for a longer period of time.
You have ample time for a spring bear hunt, but the key is to practice before you go, make sure you feel comfortable and confident in the shot before you actually release an arrow at an animal.

No no I was just shooting at a target Ddog,have never shot at an animal with a bow.,its my bro's bow,,,,modern compound,dont know the make or model,,,,with all the goodies,,,,,do you think I am being unrealistic?I doubt i would shoot past 30 yards.And only under very good conditions up to 30 yards..Absolutely I would practice a ton.

bushguy
03-01-2010, 09:23 PM
I shoot 100 arrows a night in my house, it is only 12 yards but it is the technique that will improve, I think you could be ready for bear but you need to shoot a lot, and then go to the 3D shoots, one coming up this weekend in summerland go to it you will be able to tell after that,

In Summerland? when where and what time?Thats what i would worry most about is my technique ,

nomad
03-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I shot and shot for months before my first bow hunt, totally dialed in and full of confidence that whatever I saw would die first shot! then when I had my first deer in the sights I totally missed him at 15yds! Three times! WTF! Gave me lots to think about! Realized in the heat of the moment my grip had tightened right up around the riser and I was throwing my shots way off to the right! If you can shoot without having to think about all the little corrections in your form everytime, you're getting closer. Adrenaline and fatigue are another thing, try getting worked up with a jog or something and then quickly go try a shot at your target to see how well you do. Ultimately only you will know when you're ready. Good luck!

bushguy
03-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Bushguy,
The absolute best advice i could ever give any new bow owner would be to copete in as many 3D shoot as possible It doesnt get much "realer" than that....They prepare you for all sorts of shots, through trees, down baks, up hill, over logs and so much more. i've shot in quite a few 3D shoot and i deffiently have benifited a lot from them. Good luck and get confidence out to a certain range and stick with it. Dont go beyond your comfort zone as it will increase your odds of marginal and poor shots. Good luck bud. Shoot straight.

Thanx man,,,not sayin I AM,gonna try it,but I am definately thinking about it !

bushguy
03-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Realized in the heat of the moment my grip had tightened right up around the riser and I was throwing my shots way off to the right!

Thats the info Im looking for ,thank you! the little things that can and will go sideways,,,,no pun intended.

The Hermit
03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Hold on... Are you talking about a traditional bow (longbow/recurve)? if so then practice till the fall.

If you are talking about shooting a compound bow with sights then a spring bear trip should be okay IF you practice. Get out and practice an hour every other day at ranges between 5 yards and 20 yards. Practice shooting from an elevated position (eg off your roof down into the yard, and find a hill where it is safe to shoot up hill too) Practice from a kneeling position too. Go to as many 3-D shoots as you can. Tune your arrows with broadheads and practice with them. Make sure your broadheads are razor sharp>

Tips...

1) Take a range finder on the hunt with you, use it and don't shoot over 20 yards. Expect that the animal is going to run for quite a way before laying down. Sometimes they pile up quick but sometimes they go a long way especially on a less than perfect shot.

2) Best not to hunt in the rain as blood trailing is a bigger problem then.

3) Don't shoot at last light as in all likelihood you will be blood trailing and that is harder in the dark.

4) Watch out for even the smallest branches and twigs in the shooting lane.

5) Do not shoot at any animal that is looking at you! You won't believe how they can jump the string on even the fastest arrows!

6) If you think you've made a perfect shot then wait at least half an hour before starting to track the animal. If you think you shot was less than perfect wait at least an hour and probably more like two before starting to track it.

7) Mark the spot that you shoot from as a reference point to begin the tracking. Use flagging to mark each blood spot. Take kleenex with you as lots of the little ferns have red spots that look like blood and the kleenex will be a huge help.

8) Be prepared to have a hugely satisfying and rewarding hunting experience! Oh and take bear spray too, you never know!

.300WSMImpact!
03-01-2010, 09:33 PM
sunday start at 830, not sure the location, but if you google summerland fish and game club I am sure you can find it or send me a PM, and I will reply to you when I get the info

bushguy
03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Hold on... Are you talking about a traditional bow (longbow/recurve)?

Modern compound bow,,,,,

Tips...

4) Watch out for even the smallest branches and twigs in the shooting lane.

5) Do not shoot at any animal that is looking at you! You won't believe how they can jump the string on even the fastest arrows!

Excellent!

Oh and take bear spray too, you never know!

um thanx,,,i think :mrgreen:

bushguy
03-01-2010, 09:38 PM
sunday start at 830, not sure the location, but if you google summerland fish and game club I am sure you can find it or send me a PM, and I will reply to you when I get the info

could a guy go and just ask questions and watch,,,,or is it a serious tourney kind of thing?

bruin
03-01-2010, 09:39 PM
best advice i can give you is respect your limitations.
Very sound advice, I've seen it many times myself and I'm sad to say I've done it once or twice. It is easy to get caught up in the heat of the final moment and make an error or take a less than perfect shot. There will always be another day.

bruin
03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
could a guy go and just ask questions and watch,,,,or is it a serious tourney kind of thing?

Some partakers can get pretty serious but for most it is a chance to get out an fling arrows some arrows and enjoy a day in the bush. All of the shoots I've been to have been very friendly. Its pretty common to see guys show up alone and get lumped into another group of shooters. Its a great way to meet other hunters and get some free advice.

.300WSMImpact!
03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
i go with a couple of real good shooters, we had a guy and his 14 year old son come around the course with us, i would suggest come bring your stuff walk around inquire, then go in sign up and try it out, you will like it, I think it is at the rodeo grounds

J_T
03-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I totally agree with Hermit here. It is not at all about how accurate you can shoot. $hit why do you guys put so much into the accuracy? How much practise have you had with blood trailing? Recovery is the key. It's about when NOT to shoot, not how accurate you can shoot. The ole pie plate at 20 yards is but a small measure of a sound bowhunter.

bushguy
03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Some partakers can get pretty serious but for most it is a chance to get out an fling arrows some arrows and enjoy a day in the bush. All of the shoots I've been to have been very friendly. Its pretty common to see guys show up alone and get lumped into another group of shooters. Its a great way to meet other hunters and get some free advice.

Thanx ! May be able to make it,,,,just have to kiss some "ex" butt,,:twisted:

J_T
03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Gotta take your bow. Yeah, ask all the questions you want. You will find it great. I would equate it to the horse community. Never a dumb question and everyone happy your there and more than willing to answer questions.

bushguy
03-01-2010, 09:55 PM
I totally agree with Hermit here. It is not at all about how accurate you can shoot. $hit why do you guys put so much into the accuracy? How much practise have you had with blood trailing? Recovery is the key. It's about when NOT to shoot, not how accurate you can shoot. The ole pie plate at 20 yards is but a small measure of a sound bowhunter.

I have no trouble at all with the "hunt" aspect ,have shot a lot of animals,,,,just trying to see if the "archery"part is realistically doable.What I am tryin to get is are there a lot of "small' things a noob bowhunter wouldnt think of thinking about,,,,,,like gripping the bow too hard,or wind deflection,common "Technique" shooting problems you could foresee,noise issues,say while drawing the bow,that kind of stuff??Drawing the bow when bears feeding etc,,etc,little tips,,,,brush caught in the string,is it ok still to draw say if a leaf or two is caught in the pulley?Does gravity affect the arrow trajectory at 30 yards,say steep downhill?how much?is it negligible,or something to be watching for,,I realize all this comes with practice,,,,,just looking for some tips is all.

When NOT to shoot,,,,thats what Im getting at,,,,

bushguy
03-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Gotta take your bow. Yeah, ask all the questions you want. You will find it great. I would equate it to the horse community. Never a dumb question and everyone happy your there and more than willing to answer questions.

Thanx JT,,,just dont want to go pester guys if its a serious shoot.

Wild one
03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
to add to what was already posted

1) don't try and draw your bow while the animal is looking
2) At the start stick to easy angles (broad side or slightly quartering away) for your shots
3) don't rush your shot let it walk and try again

In my opinion you are pushing it trying to be ready for spring(I am not saying it is not possible) and would recommend trying for fall instead. I find a lot of rifle hunters find out fast that there is more to bowhunting than they thought. Bowhunting can also be very addicting

bushguy
03-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I find a lot of rifle hunters find out fast that there is more to bowhunting than they thought.

Been doin some reading on here,,,,ya theres LOTS to it ,yikes!

Bow Walker
03-01-2010, 10:57 PM
If you're adamant about it then there's a few things to do before you actually go out hunting.

Practice...a lot - as most have said. If you're able to, before you practice, do some exercises like jumping jacks, wind sprints, and such to get your heart/lungs working hard.

Then try to shoot a 1" group (3 arrows) at 10 yards, a 2" group at 20 yards, and a 3" group at 30 yards....with your heart pounding and your breath going in/out like a bellows.

Once you can do that, then move out to 45 - 50 yards and try for 5" groups. After shooting at 50 yards (or so) you'll find it a lot easier to shoot accurately (deadly) at 25 yards and closer.

Oh yeah......have someone along with a gun as a backup shooter. Seriously.

hardnocks
03-01-2010, 11:56 PM
I am going to say sure give it a try. If you have any natural ability it will not take long and you should be able to hit a 3in thing at 30 yards. I for one will not tell you to shoot 8 hours a day that's how you develop bad habits shoot a few shots often. Shoot 3d but remember lots of 3d shots are not hunting shots.

The Hermit
03-02-2010, 12:05 AM
I am going to say sure give it a try. If you have any natural ability it will not take long and you should be able to hit a 3in thing at 30 yards. I for one will not tell you to shoot 8 hours a day that's how you develop bad habits shoot a few shots often. Shoot 3d but remember lots of 3d shots are not hunting shots.

I agree. 3-D is great fun, good practice but not like the real thing. Broadside and slightly quartering away only.

bowhunterbruce
03-02-2010, 06:21 AM
well as many have said ,its all about the practicing you do.for myself i shot as many 3d shoots as i could get to before the season started and it built up all the confidence in me to be able to harvest all 3 of my deer that year with my bow.
ever since then i shoot just about every 3d shoot here in the okanagan and sometimes even venture futher throughout the province.many shots that are set up on 3d coarse's are realistic and when it comes to both uphill and downhill shots or kneeling,squating,stretching or contorting your body into wierd shooting positions is all apart of what one may incounter during a hunt.
thier have been a number of great tips here so far especially when the elevated heart rate type shoots are discusssed and i am also one to agree that getting your heart rate up just before you shoot will teach you to control your breathing during a shot,this will also prep you to be focused on your shooting routien and running each and every step through your brain at light speed as you come to full draw just before your accual shot on your animal.
3d's all the way and in fact there is a list of the shoots throughout the province and it is updated on a regular basis http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/3D2010.html
most all 3d shoots are very informal and almost anyone would be more then happy to have ya join thier group and pass on some tips and pointers.
the summerland shoot is at the rodeo grounds right beside the kvr railway yard.there will be signs out on the hwy all the way up to the grounds and as with just about all shoots around these parts a great day can be had including lunch for around the 20 buck range and most have door prizes that are givin away.
caution ,it can be a little addicting
bruce

J_T
03-02-2010, 07:30 AM
I find a lot of rifle hunters find out fast that there is more to bowhunting than they thought.

Been doin some reading on here,,,,ya theres LOTS to it ,yikes! haha understatement. PM me your email and I can send you a great article on shot placement that will ensure a quick kill.

willyqbc
03-02-2010, 05:16 PM
6 weeks is definately a short time frame to go from starting with a bow to hunting with a bow. You really need time and situational experience to understand how your particular bow/arrow reacts under different conditions. Being accurate with the bow is just the first step. Some things to figure out

1. where does your arrow hit on varying degrees of up or downhill slope compared to the same yardage on flat ground. In addition to that proper uphill and downhill form is a must

2. how much room does your arrow need to clear an obstacle between you and the animal....just because you can get the pin on an animal does not mean your arrow will clear that branch 1/2 way to your target.

3. how does your point of impact change when the sun is on your left/ your right/ in your face etc. the shadow the sun casts in your peep will change point of impact

4. What happens when you are standing on a side hill, most inexperienced archers tend to tip the bow even to the sidehill rather than keeping it vertical

5. will your string clear your clothes when wearing your hunting gear, do gloves change point of impact?....practice in the clothes you will hunt in

6. as mentioned earlier on this thread, what happens when you have to shoot winded, or kneeling or from an akward stance

7. if you don't have a range finder, what is the difference in point of impact if you misjudge the yardage. for example if you judge the bear to be 30 yds and he is really 37 how much will your arrow drop? If you do have a rangefinder where do you need to hold your pin to hit an animal that is not at an even yardage....if the animal is 27 yards, do you split your 20 and 30 pins or hold low with your 30...if so by how much?

8. How much will your arrow drift in varying winds, does your broadhead tend to plane when shooting into a head wind?

I could probably go on and on but I think you get the idea, you really need to know what happens when you squeeze off a shot in varying situations. I would agree that 3D shoots are a great way to put you in a variety of situations and are great practice as long as you realize 3D targets are not always set up in a good hunting position and lots of 10 rings are not in the right spot for a good kill shot. For me a spring bear hunt seems a litlle quick, as suggested earlier I would take the spring/summer to hit the shoots and practice lots and go at em hard this fall!

Good luck
Hope this helps
Chris

hardnocks
03-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Fear and common sense never held me back. or maybe i am not as ethical as most. but i would go after spring bear if i was you. just keep your shots simple and close. take a backup so if you make a bad shot let your back up dispatch it.

J_T
03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
6 weeks is definately a short time frame to go from starting with a bow to hunting with a bow. You really need time and situational experience to understand how your particular bow/arrow reacts under different conditions. Being accurate with the bow is just the first step. Some things to figure out

1. where does your arrow hit on varying degrees of up or downhill slope compared to the same yardage on flat ground. In addition to that proper uphill and downhill form is a must

2. how much room does your arrow need to clear an obstacle between you and the animal....just because you can get the pin on an animal does not mean your arrow will clear that branch 1/2 way to your target.

3. how does your point of impact change when the sun is on your left/ your right/ in your face etc. the shadow the sun casts in your peep will change point of impact

4. What happens when you are standing on a side hill, most inexperienced archers tend to tip the bow even to the sidehill rather than keeping it vertical

5. will your string clear your clothes when wearing your hunting gear, do gloves change point of impact?....practice in the clothes you will hunt in

6. as mentioned earlier on this thread, what happens when you have to shoot winded, or kneeling or from an akward stance

7. if you don't have a range finder, what is the difference in point of impact if you misjudge the yardage. for example if you judge the bear to be 30 yds and he is really 37 how much will your arrow drop? If you do have a rangefinder where do you need to hold your pin to hit an animal that is not at an even yardage....if the animal is 27 yards, do you split your 20 and 30 pins or hold low with your 30...if so by how much?

8. How much will your arrow drift in varying winds, does your broadhead tend to plane when shooting into a head wind?

I could probably go on and on but I think you get the idea, you really need to know what happens when you squeeze off a shot in varying situations. I would agree that 3D shoots are a great way to put you in a variety of situations and are great practice as long as you realize 3D targets are not always set up in a good hunting position and lots of 10 rings are not in the right spot for a good kill shot. For me a spring bear hunt seems a litlle quick, as suggested earlier I would take the spring/summer to hit the shoots and practice lots and go at em hard this fall!

Good luck
Hope this helps
Chris Nice to see you back on here. Haven't seen you here in a while.

mcrae
03-02-2010, 07:23 PM
I practiced for a year with my recurve before going hunting. I then transitioned into a compound and spent the spring/summer getting use to my gear before going hunting.

Going from rifle hunting to bow hunting is a steep learning curve. It made me a better overall hunter when I picked up a bow. It took me over a year and a half before I harvested my first critter but it was worth the wait.

I have passed many shots in the past couple of years because of range or angle with my bow that would have been a no brainer with a rifle in my hands...

03-02-2010, 08:20 PM
There is a lot to learn when you get into bowhunting, however, I think if you take it seriously, you should be proficient enough to go after black bear this spring. Just keep your shots 25 yards or less.

huntwriter
03-02-2010, 09:47 PM
A lot of valuable information on this tread for someone wanting to give bowhunting a try.

However, as I found out 20 years ago when I started. Bowhunting is very different from archery.

Ones you're proficient with your bow and can hit consistently a small spot on the target you have to learn to shoot like a bowhunter.

A bowhunter has to be able to shoot in low light, when it rains, when it is snowing, when the wind blows, when it is hot or very cold.

A bowhunter has to be able to shoot accurately under stress, when he is tired and he also very often has to shoot very fast with very little time to prepare for the shot (snap shooting). You also will have to learn to shoot in any direction at any time, game rarely approaches from a predictable direction and you will have only a few seconds, if that to get ready. Game also does not tend to hang around and give you much time to think, they are here one second gone the next.

A bowhunter, unlike an archer, rarely can maintain proper archer stance from the waist down. Instead he has to shoot when he's sitting, kneeling, leaning against or around a tree, up and down hill, or standing on uneven ground or a small treestand platform with the feet tightly together.

All these things have to be practised under simulated hunting conditions. You also will have to practise shooting with bulky winter clothing and you will find that you will have top hold the bow differently to prevent the string snagging on the bulky arm.

After all that is done, and you're confident that can make the shoot every time and under any condition, you will have to learn how to scout. Bowhunters scout very differently from a rifle hunter. It's not good enough to find a spot where game will appear anywhere within a 150 to 200 yard radius. As a bowhunter you will have to find the exact spot within a 25 to 30 yard radius where game will walk by your stand and that provides you with enough cover to draw the string undetected.

One word about 3-D target practise. If you use 3-D as bowhunting practise be not mislead by the score rings on the target. Ignore them completely. For example if the deer, or bear, is quartering away and you shoot at the center target ring it will give you a high ranking in a 3-D tournament. In a real hunting situation that same shot would result in a lost deer, or bear. Personally, form a bowhunters view point, I find 3-D practise useless, unless you learn to ignore the target rings and think about killing shots. Meaning how far you will have to hold back on a quartering away shots to make sure the arrow passes through the lungs.

Bowhunting is about killing not hitting fancy target circles and that's the way you have to think ones you're proficient with your equipment. All the practice has to center around to make that one killing shot.

Have fun.

03-03-2010, 09:04 AM
A lot of valuable information on this tread for someone wanting to give bowhunting a try.

However, as I found out 20 years ago when I started. Bowhunting is very different from archery.

Ones you're proficient with your bow and can hit consistently a small spot on the target you have to learn to shoot like a bowhunter.

A bowhunter has to be able to shoot in low light, when it rains, when it is snowing, when the wind blows, when it is hot or very cold.

A bowhunter has to be able to shoot accurately under stress, when he is tired and he also very often has to shoot very fast with very little time to prepare for the shot (snap shooting). You also will have to learn to shoot in any direction at any time, game rarely approaches from a predictable direction and you will have only a few seconds, if that to get ready. Game also does not tend to hang around and give you much time to think, they are here one second gone the next.

A bowhunter, unlike an archer, rarely can maintain proper archer stance from the waist down. Instead he has to shoot when he's sitting, kneeling, leaning against or around a tree, up and down hill, or standing on uneven ground or a small treestand platform with the feet tightly together.

All these things have to be practised under simulated hunting conditions. You also will have to practise shooting with bulky winter clothing and you will find that you will have top hold the bow differently to prevent the string snagging on the bulky arm.

After all that is done, and you're confident that can make the shoot every time and under any condition, you will have to learn how to scout. Bowhunters scout very differently from a rifle hunter. It's not good enough to find a spot where game will appear anywhere within a 150 to 200 yard radius. As a bowhunter you will have to find the exact spot within a 25 to 30 yard radius where game will walk by your stand and that provides you with enough cover to draw the string undetected.

One word about 3-D target practise. If you use 3-D as bowhunting practise be not mislead by the score rings on the target. Ignore them completely. For example if the deer, or bear, is quartering away and you shoot at the center target ring it will give you a high ranking in a 3-D tournament. In a real hunting situation that same shot would result in a lost deer, or bear. Personally, form a bowhunters view point, I find 3-D practise useless, unless you learn to ignore the target rings and think about killing shots. Meaning how far you will have to hold back on a quartering away shots to make sure the arrow passes through the lungs.

Bowhunting is about killing not hitting fancy target circles and that's the way you have to think ones you're proficient with your equipment. All the practice has to center around to make that one killing shot.

Have fun.

Correct...archery and bowhunting are different. The best way to become a good bowhunter is to bowhunt...and learn from your mistakes.

Personally, I think 3-D shoots are a fantastic way to practice for bowhunting. Of course it's not exactly the same as hunting, but range estimation and picking a spot are utilized in these competitions.

If your not worried about score, then place your shots to "kill", rather than go for the 10 ring.

huntwriter
03-03-2010, 06:41 PM
If your not worried about score, then place your shots to "kill", rather than go for the 10 ring.

That is exactly what it is. If you use 3-D strictly as hunting practice and forget all about the scoring rings, as I do with my McKenzi targets, then they are a good tool.

Where the problem starts with 3-D, in my experience with bowhunting clients, is when these hunters shoot all summer on 3-D tournaments. Most of them find it hard to switch their mind from scoring points to killing deer. It concerns me enough that when I know that a huter shoots a lot of 3-D tournaments I take him first to the range to see where he shoots his arrows before we head out.

mcrae
03-03-2010, 09:17 PM
That is exactly what it is. If you use 3-D strictly as hunting practice and forget all about the scoring rings, as I do with my McKenzi targets, then they are a good tool.

Where the problem starts with 3-D, in my experience with bowhunting clients, is when these hunters shoot all summer on 3-D tournaments. Most of them find it hard to switch their mind from scoring points to killing deer. It concerns me enough that when I know that a huter shoots a lot of 3-D tournaments I take him first to the range to see where he shoots his arrows before we head out.

I have to use spray in foam to repair my bear 3D target every year:-D becuase I shoot the kill shot on it and its just the one corner of the actual insert that is the sweet spot. If I hit a bit forward I am shooting into the actual foam target and not the layered insert. If I shoot dead center on my 3D bear I would be high and farther back than I like. I take it out and put it up against a natural back stop in the last few minutes of shooting light for added realism as well....Spring bear with a bow is heaven to me:-D...

.330 Dakota
03-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I bought a new Hoyt bow about 7 years ago in July. I shot every night after supper for 8 weeks. Killed a nice 6x7 whitetail that year at 45 yards.
Drove to another WMU and killed a spiker at 30 yards. If you practice enough to feel confident your ready. Unless your spring hunt is for Grizzly, then your nuts IMHO. 12 guage backup

willyqbc
03-04-2010, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE][/QUOTNice to see you back on here. Haven't seen you here in a while.E]

Yeah, I was out of town for a month taking some schooling with no computer access. Nice to be home after a month in Calgary......man i hate big cities!!!

Chris

Bow Walker
03-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Here's a couple photos of what's inside - and more importantly, where it is on the inside.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Bear_Anatomy.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/BEAR_SHOULDER_BULLET_PLACEMENT1.jpg

I don't necessarily agree with the big red X for shot placement on a broadside bear - escpecially with a bow. Someone else's idea of where to shoot a bear with a gun...

But the second photo does show where the heart and lungs are sitting - they are the targets for a bow.

So it is easy to see that it's critical to get a boradside or a slight quartering-away shot.

The Hermit
03-04-2010, 02:30 PM

I didn't realize that you are a guide or guide outfitter. Where is your territory?

huntwriter
03-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I didn't realize that you are a guide or guide outfitter. Where is your territory?

I've guided/outfitted in America on private land and I still do on occasion if I have time.

After researching about guide opportunities here I wouldn't dream of starting up a guide business in BC. To much red tape and government money grab.:-D

In America I have access to a few farms, prime whitetail deer and turkey habitat, and that is all I needed to get started. No courses, no license, no government money grab.:-D

greybark
03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
:-D Hey HW, would that be America or the USA ? Just stirring :-D

The Hermit
03-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Interesting. So assuming that you are an American citizen, even one living abroad, you can still guide in the US on private land without license etc. Learn something everyday I would have thought a residency requirement would apply. I think that is the case in Canada, or is that not true?

huntwriter
03-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Interesting. So assuming that you are an American citizen, even one living abroad, you can still guide in the US on private land without license etc. Learn something everyday I would have thought a residency requirement would apply. I think that is the case in Canada, or is that not true?

I am a Swiss, now double citizen Swiss/Canada, but was a green card holder in America. It depends what state you live in. Some states, like Colorado and Montana, require the same, or similar, as here, guide school, guide/ outfitter licensing up and down the yahoo and all. Other states like Illinois (where I lived and guided), Tennessee (guiding), Missouri (guiding) and many other states, all you need is private land access and insurance and you're in business. Of course you also need a hunting license and so do the clients, but unlike here, the hunter has to purchase the license. Hunting licenses and tags are not allocated to the guide/outfitter, they are the responsibility of the hunter/client. Unless the client is a foreigner, then the guide/outfitter can reserve a license and tags. I use to make a deal with landowners that they get a cut of every client I bring on their land. It was good for everybody. The hunts were affordable, I made a little money and so did the landowner.

Then it changed and the big outfits took everything over, paid the farmers huge exclusive lease sums and made hunts to expensive for the average hunter. While I took maybe four hunters per season onto anyone property, the big ones let armies of hunters roam the land. Back then when I guided it was about giving hunters opportunity to hunt on prime land without hunting pressure and having to do all the grunt work. When it became all about money and the landowners became greedy I got out. I got a phone call the other day from a landowner asking if I would like to come back to the same conditions as before. After the big outfit ruined his place he kicked them out. I politely declined. The only guiding I do now is on peoples private hunting properties.

bushguy
03-06-2010, 11:12 AM

Good luck
Hope this helps
Chris

Thanx Chris,,,,,some great things to think about there!