PDA

View Full Version : BC SPCA & Hunting Dogs

solanderdog
02-28-2010, 08:02 AM
A little while ago, someone posted on here something to the effect that the SPCA denied him the opportunity to adopt a dog when they found out the dog would be a hunting buddy.

I was surprised by this and started going through their policies and found this:

The BC SPCA is also opposed to the hunting of all animals using dogs or other animals (e.g. falconry), due to the stress it imposes on the hunted animal and the risk of injury to the animals involved.

Honestly, I had NO idea. I kind of regret the various donations I've made to them over the years and will certainly be more careful with who I support in the future. They won't get another dime from me.

If you're interested, here is a link to their entire policy on hunting in general: http://www.spca.bc.ca/welfare/position-statements/hunting.pdf

30.06 Hunter
02-28-2010, 08:22 AM
I also disagree with some of the policies of the BC SPCA but would never think to stop donating to them. They do a lot of very good work fighting animal cruelty and taking care of abused animals. Not to mention all the work they do with caring for and adopting out animals in need of a new home.

Instead of cutting off your donation maybe write them a letter stating your position as a hunter. It probably won't change their policy, which is driven largely by city dwellers, but it may start a dialogue and if enough of their donators object then something could change.

solanderdog
02-28-2010, 09:04 AM
I also disagree with some of the policies . . . .

Good points. I will send a letter off.

.330 Dakota
02-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Read the thread on Dave Suzuki and then decide if you want to donate to the SPCA. Most people dont realize the involvement that these and other groups have with the anti hunting movement

ruger#1
02-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Just dont tell them the dog will be used for hunting. Loose lips sink ships.

Bear Chaser
02-28-2010, 09:27 AM
I refuse to donate money to the SPCA. My wife "purchased" a rescue dog to be a new family pet. That is the extent of our involvement wtih them now or ever again.

f0rbidden
03-07-2010, 10:06 PM
waterfowl hunting does wear the dog out a little more over time. BUT I am sure they rather do that then do nothing over their life. They feel trusted and bond better with the owner for the course of their life.

Krico
03-08-2010, 12:16 AM
God forbid someone actually uses a hunting breed for hunting...

bushguy
03-08-2010, 08:24 AM
God forbid someone actually uses a hunting breed for hunting...

Funny isnt it?,,,,The world is all fine,as long as it makes everyone "feel good inside'. Heaven forbid ya actually use a hunting dog for hunting,,kill something n eat it! Maybe if we could just all sit round the fire,,sing kumbayaah with the ducks n grouse,,we could ASK them to jump into the fire n baste themselves,,,then it would be alright,,

wildprotien
03-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for this post I did not know this about the SPCA.
If they promote anti hunting I will not donate my hard earned money to support such a group.
Why write them a letter ?????
Writing them a letter will not change their minds about hunting breeds.
It will simply wake them up to be not so vocal about it because they might loose donations from hunting famlies.
If you silence them they are your silent enemy ... more dangerous ... as before this post I didn't know they were anti hunting.
Im sure most hunting breed dogs you see in the SPCA are a result of people breeding the heck out of their poor dogs to make money to support their life style. They don't give a care about the dogs they just want to make the money $$$$$ breed ... breed ... $$$$. ... Just plain cruel.
These dogs then end up in non-hunting homes where they should not be in the first place as it does no good to the blood lines.
I have not met a person yet in my area walking a hunting blood line that actually takes the dog hunting !!!!!! .. Yes I ask them all when I see them walking the dogs.
Labs, golden, Irish, english, springer, Ridge Back, terriers, etc etc ....
The more money you donate to an anti-hunting group the more power they have to ruin our so called sport of hunting.

Chuck
03-08-2010, 10:20 AM
You must haveta be a carpenter Bushguy, cuz your good with the hammer!