PDA

View Full Version : info on Onion lake area

r106
02-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Well our anual guys camping trip is happening in May. We are thinking of heading up towards Lytton and were thinking the Onion lake area and Ive never been there. There are about 10-12+ guys going and mostly for dirt biking and quading. I'm going with a bear tag!! Looking for some camping info as there will be several trucks and trailers?? My map book shows no "official" camp site and I was woundering if there is an area that can accomidate us?? Is there any other areas around there worth checking out? I plan on doing a scouting trip before we go but I was wondering if there was any other areas to check out on the way???

Thanks for the help

Rob

r106
02-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Anybody?? Nobody?? just looking for some camping info no honey holes
__

280 77
02-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Onion lake is also known as Ruddicks Dam. It is a private lake that used to be open to the public until user neglect caused the owner to shut it down to the public. Contact Fred at Merritt Powder Keg , he will have a lot more info. on it. It is now fee only.

DWEL
02-26-2010, 09:08 AM
I am friends with the owner of that property and the info given is correct.
There is a motorcycle camp area up the left road about 4-5 km. from the Y in the road. That camp area is very busy may long weekend if that is the weekend you were thinking of going.

r106
02-26-2010, 10:46 AM
No we are not going on the long weekend. I had no idea it was private property What area is private is it marked or fenced? Is there crown land near there so I don't need permision to hunt black bears? Any other areas that would be better for camping and dirtbiking?

DWEL
02-26-2010, 10:54 AM
It is marked and fenced. It begins at the Y in the road, the entrance basicly splits the Y.
If your not going on the long weekend try the area I suggested. No Lake but incredible trails and riding areas.

r106
02-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Ok so there is crown land up there? How big is the private property? is it part of a ranch?
________

DWEL
02-26-2010, 11:00 AM
It is 500 acres and yes the same owner owns Ruddock Ranch down below.

r106
02-26-2010, 11:08 AM
I checked it out on imapBC it looks like it's just in the small valley around onion lake and east past turnip lake> North and south of the lake is crown land? Does that sound about right
________
Ford escape picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Escape)

Dubra
02-27-2010, 12:09 PM
you can find maps of the trails around onion lake at this link.

http://www.davenorona.com/moto/areas.htm#onion

Dave has tons of other links to maps for areas to ride in BC.

I've ridden the Onion area and it does get busy almost every weekend starting in May. But don't worry, there is alot of room out there ....

Dubra

Alpine Addict
02-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Hunted up there a bit. Too many bikers I'v found. REALLY spooky deer.

snareman1234
02-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Same here, been up there a few times, saw some does, but any deer I did see were gone like that, probably too many groups of riders riping it up

r106
03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Well we are going there for the riding! No one else hunts in our group. So it looks like we found a good spot. I like to go to new areas and explore and if I find Yogy then thats just a bonus.

Thanks for the replies guys

ruger#1
10-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Used to fish in that lake. It has some huge rainbows. Lots of bears in that area also. It is posted and the gate has been there for years.