PDA

View Full Version : what dog

xcaribooer
02-23-2010, 03:08 PM
I am now getting close to being ready to get a bird dog, probally within the next 4 months. I think I have it narrowed down to two dogs.
lab(of course) but the other breed I am curious about is the german wired hair pointer.
I will be hunting waterfowl but I also want to start spending some time on upland birds in the future.
I really like the gwhp's .obviously they are meant for upland birds but can someone comment on their ability as a duck dog?
how about where to get one around here with good credentials?thanks

huntinnewbie
02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
My son has a German Shorthair and she started on ducks first as we are close to good duck hunting. She was retreiving at 4 months. Loves the water. Had to drag the duck back to the blind as she was to little to pick it up. they are just starting her on upland birds.
They got an Ecollar for her as she can be stubborn when she sets her mind to something.
She's a good pointer but a little hard at holding the point but she's still very young.
We have a black lab and she is a duck dog extrodinaire. We haven't tried her on upland birds but I know she will retrieve anything you ask her to.
She's great with squirrels, no problem retreiving them.
She is not as high energy as the GSP, never was, and she handles the cold a little better.
Both are awesome family dogs, great with little kids and other dogs. Tough choice, I'ld go for 1 of each:-D

Slime green cat
02-23-2010, 04:00 PM
I like the Wire hairs too, this video shows what they are capable of http://www.drahthaar-trulyversatile.com/video/
Also, dont rule out the GSP, I have heard of them being just as versatile .

02-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Lab
Although i have not hunted upland behind a pointer befor. Thak might be fun. But i have no fear about lost birds or missed birds with my lab.
taking him in blind to birds dad cant find or just getting to bring back a road shot chicken as well as swimming through breakers to get a salt chuck duck. Have you ever watched a dog swim through 3 foot breakers to get a mallard? thats fun too.
I would decide what the bulk of your hunting would be, upland or duck.
and by the dog to do that. I just dont know how cold a pointer would get in a swamp, i dont doubt they would go get your ducks but their coat is not as thick as most labs.

Angel
02-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Deutsch Kurzhaar is what you want. Just take a look at NADKC.org, they are an extremely versatile hunting breed that will not disappoint. Dutchie has one and I have one coming in April, cant wait!

Lots'oLabs
02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Take a look at this pedigree from the Hunting Dogs classifieds.

Exceptional Pedigree that won't dissapoint any hunter or pet owner.

Deb

CKC Registered Field Labs due Feb 10 2010
CKC registered Labrador Retriever puppies. This pedigree is as good as they come. Puppies come with a 26 month hip and eye guarantee. Both sire and dam have their hips, elbows, eyes certified and are CNM clear. These pups come from national field trial champion lines. In the 4 generation pedigree, there is 21 titled dogs including 3 national champions, fifteen field champs and more. They will be great at any thing that you want to do with them. (hunting, hunt tests, field trials, and if you are just looking for a great family dog ( just ask my family about their best friend)
To reserve your puppy or for more information please.Call Ron at 250-391-0402 or a PM or Reply

Russmi
02-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I have a 1 1/2 yr old GWP I use for duck hunting. He works great and doesn't mind the water. Lots of energy so you need to exercise him alot. He's great with kids and other dogs, a perfect family dog. I have heard that some don't get along with other dogs and are not good with kids but I have nothing but good things to say about mine. Good luck on a new best friend

troutseeker
06-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Pick the GSP, if you are ready to spend a good amount of time running it. They are great dogs and in my opinion way better hunters that the Labs.

The GSP's nose is unbelievable and their birding instincts are simply amazing! They also make great duck retrievers, I've never had issues with one refusing to go to water to get a bird.

Buck
06-20-2010, 11:24 PM
I say Deutsch Drahthaar close to a GWP but with incredible breeding will do everything you want and more.I know a breeder with 2 males and a female available PM me