PDA

View Full Version : 7-38 South? Caribou? Goat?

BabineGuide
02-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Has anybody hunted the southern portion of 7-38 for caribou and or goat?

I am planning a solo backpack hunt there for this fall... have hunted 7-27 and 7-28 quite abit, but never into 7-38. Any info/tips will be appreciated.

BG

Beardy
03-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I've hunted 7-38 a few times for grizz and the only time I ever saw caribou was on the kemess mine road, the one that leads north. Nice countryvup that way and I would expect more caribou to be found in that section of 7-38. Pm me for more info. Good luck

BCHunterFSJ
03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I have hunted there 3 times for grizzly, but never did see a caribou or goat...

ryanb
03-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I spent a week up there in the spring grizz hunting a few years ago and saw many many caribou. I understand they are more dispersed in the fall when they aren't concentrated in the valley bottoms. http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/d.JPG

GoatGuy
03-04-2010, 01:25 PM
South end is pretty spotty for caribou but for the most part where there are mountains there are goats.

Caribou_lou
03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
If I were you I'd go hunt Double Eagle Outfitters for some goat! LOL
You can find the odd telkwa Caribou around there also. haha

BromBones
03-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Twice I've hunted spring grizz in that area, & always saw caribou and goat while glassing for bears.

These mountains in the pic are on the south side of Germanson Lake. Last spring, I spotted 7-8 goats & probably 25 caribou up there. Couple caribou bulls looked good.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/ursusarctos/Huntin%20stuff/germanson2.jpg

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/ursusarctos/Huntin%20stuff/germanson.jpg

I was thinking about paddling across the lake and hiking up through those hills after a goat last fall but it never came about. Would be a fairly easy climb as the lake is at 3400 ft and is a straight shot up the ridgeline. High treeline could make for decent areas to camp as well.

ve7iuq
03-04-2010, 08:10 PM
The mountains on the south side of Germansen Lake is traditional caribou range. However, years ago there were no goats on them, at all. The goats must have moved in fairly recently.

BromBones
03-04-2010, 08:51 PM
The mountains on the south side of Germansen Lake is traditional caribou range. However, years ago there were no goats on them, at all. The goats must have moved in fairly recently.

That's what my old man said as well when looking at the pics, after I pointed out where I had seen the goats.

BCrams
03-04-2010, 09:03 PM

I know goats were on those mountains above the lake in the 1930's :-D That area around Germansen and south Omineca is important mountain goat habitat. They've been around for a long long time.

Pretty recent?

ve7iuq
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Twenty mile creek, which isn't that far away, to the south west is traditional goat range.
Looking at the pictures, I took it to be about half way down the lake. I don't think those mountains were home ranges for goats. Goats are great wanderers, usually in about June. They could easily be there at times.
The old time trappers and prospectors in the area in the late 1940s and 50s, said about the same thing.

BabineGuide
03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
If I were you I'd go hunt Double Eagle Outfitters for some goat! LOL
You can find the odd telkwa Caribou around there also. haha

hahah oh man.

BCrams
03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Twenty mile creek, which isn't that far away, to the south west is traditional goat range.
Looking at the pictures, I took it to be about half way down the lake. I don't think those mountains were home ranges for goats. Goats are great wanderers, usually in about June. They could easily be there at times.
The old time trappers and prospectors in the area in the late 1940s and 50s, said about the same thing.

Quite familiar with the area myself. As were relatives back in the day who worked up there, worked on the flume, hauled freight on the Baldy Mtn Trail. Yes sir, quite the history we have in that area. :wink: