PDA

View Full Version : GPS for boat?

N-W-Redneck
02-21-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm looking for a GPS unit for my father-in-law's boats. He has a 24' cruiser and a 19' runabout and he'd like a unit he can swap back and forth between the two. He's not a computer guy so he'll be using it by itself and not linking it to a 'puter so those features aren't needed. Any recommendations on models/brands that would be good for him and places to get them?
Thanks for any suggestions!

muledeercrazy
02-21-2010, 04:29 PM
i have a garmin 186C (i think) that i really like, with the c-maps in it. I really like those particular charts and have had less problems with garmin vs. lawrance eagle myself. I found the garmin with the external antenna to be very accurate, and have pretty straightforward controls and good options. I would definetly get a plotter that can have a transducer hooked up to it if i was to do it again(the model i have doesnt). Especially if radar is allready running on its own display in the cruiser. I also have had a northstar plotter that was excellent, and is available with about as many options as you could want. They are more expensive, so unless you want all the options you would be just as well off with the garmin i think. The garmin could just be ran as a chartplotter in the runabout, and then hooked up to a transducer and external antenna in the cruiser.. I think the garmin would be the best choice just because they seem to take more abuse so swapping it back and forth would work well, i think.

Frango
02-21-2010, 05:10 PM
The Lowrance H20 is a nice unit.I use it as a backup on my boat.It's loaded with a chip/chart of the west coast .It has worked very well for me.I even use it has my hunting Gps with the northern BC maps

N-W-Redneck
02-21-2010, 07:45 PM
MDC: Is the plotter a function of the GPS or is it a separate unit? He doesn't have radar.