PDA

View Full Version : binos with range finder

brock77
02-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Has any one used or heard of any reviews of these, was in cranny (mountain man) Had ask about them but hey were not sure of anyone that has tried or has them. they said that they will be getting some bushnell ones and leupold around may. just wonder if it is worth the money. It would eliminate carrying both with you.

Elkaddict
02-21-2010, 09:43 AM
I have a pair of Lieca BRF 10X42s and the are the cats a$$. I love 'em. They are a little heavy, but I can put up with that. It is great not having to carry two separate pieces of kit, and you have instant access to range information on anything you are glassing. No fumbling around for a separate rangefinder.

brock77
02-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I have a pair of Lieca BRF 10X42s and the are the cats a$$. I love 'em. They are a little heavy, but I can put up with that. It is great not having to carry two separate pieces of kit, and you have instant access to range information on anything you are glassing. No fumbling around for a separate rangefinder.
How much $$$$ did you pay for the liecas, did you by them in canada or across the border

mikeinajeep
02-21-2010, 02:24 PM
He paid close to $2400 for them. I don't know about you but I will keep glassing with my bushnells and use the other 2000 to buy a nice rifle. I love this site $2400 rangefinders. LOL

Elkaddict
02-21-2010, 03:22 PM
As a matter of fact I paid SFA for them. I had been looking at them, but balking at paying the price for something I didn't think I needed that bad. My wife then went out and promptly plunked down the cash, and bought them for me for my birthday. I guess I paid for them one way or the other:wink:, but I don't regret the purchase at all. They were just over 2000.00 close to 5 years ago, bought local. There are plenty of folks out there that have paid over a thousand bucks or more for premium glass. Another 6 or 700 for a good rangefinder, and you are pretty much at the same spot. There's a lot more to it than spending 2 grand on "a rangefinder"

Brock77 if you are seriously looking check out Camera Land in New York http://www.cameralandny.com/demos-leica.html. They have some pretty good deals in the demo/sample section. Right now they have a pair of certified preowned Geovid 8X42s for 1500 U.S. Hard to beat, and the glass is awesome.

yama49
02-22-2010, 08:15 PM
He paid close to $2400 for them. I don't know about you but I will keep glassing with my bushnells and use the other 2000 to buy a nice rifle. I love this site $2400 rangefinders. LOL

Big diff in Quality, buy top of line gear, and u are going pay for it. Not saying its for everyone, but they r a nice peice of equipment. Buy swaro binos and swaro rangefinder and your at 2500ish. Bottom line if u can afford it, do it. jmo

HD95
02-25-2010, 06:35 PM
FWIW;The BRF Leica's are fantastic binos.But when you buy the bino/rangefinder combo,your lifetime warranty drops to a five year warranty.Something to consider.

brock77
02-27-2010, 03:38 PM
well i think i am going to go with the vortex vipers. Just don't Know 10x42 or 8x42. I like the fact that 8 lets in more light. But is there that much difference between the 8x to the 10x for light, and or magnification
Has anyone tried the binocular doubler for the vortex, is it worth it?

Elkaddict
02-27-2010, 04:22 PM
My hunting partner and I used to own identical Pentax DCFs except for the fact that mine were 10s and his were 8s. His were noticeably brighter in low light conditions, and the differencein size of the magnified image was hardly noticeable. He had the advantage of having "slightly" lighter glass hanging around his neck as well. My 2 cents? I would pick 8s over 10s given the same objective lens size.

Shooter
02-27-2010, 04:32 PM
The glasses are great but I remember there was someone here that bought the doubler as well. I can't remember who but the reviews on the doubler was that it was a waste of time. Something about it going out of focus or something....?? I can't remember why just that it wasn't any good. I have a set of the Viper 10x42 and also a set of the diamondback 10x42. The diamondbacks are very comparable as far as glass goes but the more I tried the diamondbacks (my wifes binos) the more I appreciated the feel and ergonomics of the Vipers. If the Vipers are in your price range just buy em and never look back you won`t regret it. If you are a little tighter on the budget the diamondbacks work great as well just don`t "feel" as nice IMO. One feature that the Vipers have that the Diamonbacks don't have is the locking diopter ring. (the single eye focus). I hate not having that cus it seems like everytime I pick em up I need to readjust.