PDA

View Full Version : sheep hunting in Atlin

hunter#1_300
02-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Hey guys me and my famialy got are second choice draw for sheep in 6-25 D east of atlin. I put in for the tatshenshini 6-29 for are first choice but was unsucceful. Now we dont no wat to do not thinkin we would get are second choice we are lost were to go and what sheep are there. I have checked out the guide and outfitter in the area(Indian River Ranch http://www.irrhunting.com/stone_sheep_hunts.htm) and haved noticed they dont have any dalls what we wanted to hunt for but fannin sheep and stones instead. What i was wondering if someone has been up there sheep hunting and is it worth it to go up for. Any info on what kind of sheep are in the area would be highly apreciated.
Thanks

mfarrally
02-20-2010, 10:40 PM
I was up in that territory last year. Saw a few sheep. I would fly in too one of the lakes with Atlin air if it were my draw. I believe they are all stones in there. I'll look at some maps and PM you with some info on where I saw the sheep

Wild Images
02-21-2010, 08:55 AM
We got two draws for the same area and they were our second choice as well. At least we have lots of time to do some research and make an honest effort at some good rams.

boxhitch
02-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Lots of new opportunities offered in that remote area. Its underutilized for a reason.
No Dall's in the Atlin area, though some very light sheep

.......is it worth it to go up for............. Because you asked, I would say not for you.
sorry

jml11
02-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I have friends who have had this draw and found quite a few rams but nothing legal, some 7/8 curl 7 year olds though. The sheep are all fannins though. If you wanted dalls you should have put in 6-28 as your second choice. Outside of 6-28/6-29 there are all pretty much fannins/stone's.

You don't have to put in a second choice either. If 6-29 was the one you wanted...only put in for that, leave the second choice blank. That way you won't get a hunt you may not want and affect your odds for next year...

hunter#1_300
02-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys. wat ive herd is that its rilly hard to find a full curl up there and the sheep are lacking the genes to make it full curl. We would be talking horses up there to. Boxhitch I asked if its worth it to go because we were looking for Dall sheep and wat ive herd is that the stones sheep there are small and hard to find a full curl so y drive all the way up there the 2200 km with horses when I can go half that way and go for stones there that i know have the genes to make full curls. Even though it is alsome to see the country and to have a good experince.
Next year we wont put in for second choice or like u said jml11 put in for 6-29 and 6-28
Thanks again for the info

BCrams
02-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Another perspective for you, you're having a conversation with someone and they go ..... ever shoot a 'light coloured' or 'fannin' ram with unique markings? ....... your response will be ... "aww we had the draw one year but didn't go hunt for them" I personally think it would be cool to have the following:

1 pure dall from 6-28 or 6-29
1 light coloured stone from the Atlin LEH zones
1 Stone's ram
1 Bighorn
1 California

You having horses - you're ahead of the game as far as finding full curl rams and can go where most people on foot are hunting.

hunter#1_300
02-21-2010, 01:30 PM
BCrams good point it would be pritty cool

BromBones
02-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Another perspective for you, you're having a conversation with someone and they go ..... ever shoot a 'light coloured' or 'fannin' ram with unique markings?

Last I was up there for caribou, I had a sheep tag in my pocket as well, and came up on two full curl 7 year olds in a band of 12. The capes on those rams were beauties with very nice markings. I probably could have tipped one over and sold the lifesize cape for $3000 US, but I had no desire to shoot a 7 yr old.

Also figured it might be good to let those two spread some genes around, as on previous trips we were seeing rams that I figured were 9-10 yr olds but not quite 7/8 curl.

tangozulu
02-21-2010, 03:51 PM
The jean pool is just fine, unfortunately the rams never get to grow up anymore. Lots of good sheep hunting on the way either Alaska Highway or Cassiar.

Peace Country
02-21-2010, 07:24 PM
When I was living in the Yukon I shot a beautiful Fannin sheep and when people go into my shop they wow where youu get that sheep with that color. Go for you will not disapointed.

deer nut
02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
JUST GO!!!!! Do some research & maybe you are destined to find a ram!!

kennyj
02-21-2010, 08:10 PM
If you check the BC record book you will see there have been some great rams taken in the Atlin area over the years. A fannin ram is on my list. If it were me I'd go for sure.
kenny

tangozulu
02-21-2010, 08:41 PM
I always thought 1 grey hair makes it a stone. I really don't believe in "Phantom" sheep. Lots of people that lived in Atlin for 30 years have nice local rams on the walls. Outfitters got a bit tough on the herd since then. Outfits have been split and sold off way too much.
All just MHO

bighornbob
02-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Another perspective for you, you're having a conversation with someone and they go ..... ever shoot a 'light coloured' or 'fannin' ram with unique markings? ....... your response will be ... "aww we had the draw one year but didn't go hunt for them" I personally think it would be cool to have the following:

1 Bighorn
1 California

Thats means you would actually have to come south to hunt sheep.:-D

BHB