PDA

View Full Version : Home in the Okanagan

eastkoothunter
02-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Moved to the Kelowna in September for school, and FINALLY after Google mapping and looking around, made a trip into the bush to get a sense of the the area, as not having my hunting this year is really taking a beating on me. I happened to go for a drive into Gillard Creek this afternoon and really enjoyed what the surroundings looked like, which leads me to my question, how is the area for hunting in the fall (dont want to know secret spots or anything just if theres a good deer population ect.) and if a guy stayed out of the burn if it would be a good area to check for bears this April. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cris

gutpile
02-20-2010, 12:37 AM
rock creek is not that far from kelowna. lots of white tails, in early oct there are mules migreating.

landphil
02-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Yes, there are decent areas up there, and I've heard that the burn area is the good spot for spring bears feeding on the new green grass - I've not hunted that side of the pond much at all, but it makes sense to me.

Lots of area on the west side of the pond as well, especially if you want to travel a little. Start with bear main FSR, and go looking from there.

Oh, and be cautioned about wandering the woods anywhere near beaverdell, some of the locals appearantly grow "stuff" and don't like anyone wandering in on it/them. Or so I was told by someone that grew up in that area.

snowhunter
02-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Welcome to this area :)

Rock Creek area for white-tails and mulies. Otherwise, the whole Okanagan Valley has lots of deer, which also liked to hang around the fruit farms. Check out the timber lines along these large open hills at dusk and down.

Time to do some pre-hunt foot works, and then figure out where to place your limited entry hunting :)

snareman1234
02-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey Cris, I am heading up to the okanogan this september to attend UBC there, we should get together for a hunt, I know the rock creek area a bit, been there about 6 times.

eastkoothunter
02-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks a lot for the help guys. It really makes next fall much more easier to live here and if all goes well, this spring also.

gibblewabble
02-21-2010, 12:50 AM
There is alot of great area up towards Big White and good hunting and fishing above Winfield on the same side fo the valley.

hannibal
02-24-2010, 08:54 AM
The whole Okanagan is filled with critters. Any where you go will be good, just be prepared to share the woods with quaders, dirt bikers, hikers and dog walkers and everybody else. Once you get off the beaten path, you run into a lot less people, so 10ft from the edge of the road.:mrgreen:

Wally
02-25-2010, 10:58 PM
gellard gets hit HARD because it's so close to town. Bear Creek isn't bad. It seems to get less pressure because it's further from town, especially during the week. If you go up 33, the west side of Big White is pretty quiet and I've seen lots of animals up there.

Send me a PM if ya wanna do some huntin.