02-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Fine as long as it's cooked well.

Undercooked bear can make ya sick.

d_k
02-19-2010, 08:49 PM
just as i thought. thanks

PressurePoint
02-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Or leave it in the freezer for 3 months and it will kill off all the trichinosis. The pork (bear) equivelent of samonella

Moose Guide
02-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Or leave it in the freezer for 3 months and it will kill off all the trichinosis. The pork (bear) equivelent of samonella

Trichinosis is worms in the meat! I only saw it once but it was gross, the worms were crawling out of the meat around the bullet hole by the time we walked the 20 yards to the bear! Most bears don't have trichinosis, but cook it well to be sure!

NaStY
02-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Ive only shot 3 bears so far and all were very good eating.

elkdom
02-19-2010, 09:27 PM

Trichinosis is ' an intestinal round worm',,, actually up to 2.2 mm in length :eek:

Salmonella are "bacteria",,,,:oops:

ONLY COOKING thoroughly to 170 F or 71 Celsius will assure safety!

freezing for ANY amount of time is not POSITIVE to kill Trichinosis( Health Canada and USA Food Agency recommendations) ,,,

but anyone can eat anything they wish to! right??

MEATEATER
02-19-2010, 09:29 PM
I only shoot bears to make dog food its cheap and they love it :)

elkdom
02-19-2010, 09:33 PM
I only shoot bears to make dog food its cheap and they love it :)
Trichinosis will kill dogs also!, the meat still has to be cooked to at least 71 Celcius THOROUGHLY!

MEATEATER
02-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I make a stew out of it I got the recipe from a vet 7 pounds meat 5 veg 5 carb plus a couple other things but ya I cook it I can not believe the difference it made with my old girl much more energy now the pup has to much energy but its good for them :)

ve7iuq
02-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Trichinosis will kill dogs also!, the meat still has to be cooked to at least 71 Celcius THOROUGHLY!

I can read a bit between the lines, and I think you and I are sure in agreement on bear meat!

gutpile
02-20-2010, 12:31 AM
can deer get trichinoisis?

landphil
02-20-2010, 12:39 AM

Probably - if they were fed un(der) cooked bear meat! :mrgreen:
Never heard of it happening otherwise though

ratherbefishin
02-20-2010, 07:42 AM
If I don't get it smoked and cured like hams,then I crock pot it all day with beer and some teriyaki sauce,which breaks down the fibers .Very good.And don't forget to render down the fat from a fall bear-makes the best pastry lard you can get-hard,white and odourless.

d_k
02-20-2010, 08:33 AM
do the same rules apply to griz bear?
i have a spring draw but if i cant eat it I wont hunt it.

sawmill
02-20-2010, 09:04 AM

If you ever smelled a big boar in rut you wouldn`t even want to skin it,never mind eat it.Imagine a garbage bag full of skunks marinated in cat piss.Now leave it in the sun for 3 days.I`v dealt with quite a few in my time.

bigneily
02-20-2010, 10:21 AM
you near salt water? makes the best damn crab pot bait...awesome:mrgreen:

Caribou_lou
02-20-2010, 10:28 AM
I've eaten grizzly several times, spring bears. No fish in the fall. They make great smoked hams!! And those are some big hams.

Barracuda
02-20-2010, 10:32 AM

uhhh then why would you put in for a spring grizz draw if you dont know if you can eat it?

Be honest and hunt because you love to and dont hide behind the PC " I only hunt what i eat "Line.

Moose Guide
02-21-2010, 12:16 AM

I've heard of moose and caribou having trichinosis, but have only seen the one bear with it and I have shot about 10 black bears! Ask Goat Guy, he might know if deer can get it!!! (I can't verify if moose or caribou can get it but I've heard they can)

.308win
02-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Bear meat is some of the best table fair out there!! My family loves it, really tasty, we just treat it like pork, make sure its cooked and enjoy!!

Perry

MuleyStalker
02-21-2010, 12:21 AM
The worms provide extra protein once cooked. Think of them as an added bonus. Besides that, I enjoyed the farmer sausage from the last bear I ate.

BruceW
02-21-2010, 07:49 AM
So what would be better for eating; spring or fall?
N. AB there's areas where the fall scat is 90% blueberries, larger bears have what looks like deer hair in theirs. A little further S and they're oat fed.

Always tempted, but in AB you have to use the fur, and I've just never felt the need to spend maybe 1000 bucks on the hide(think it's 150/ft to get a rug done) just to try the meat.

Phreddy
02-21-2010, 01:53 PM
So what would be better for eating; spring or fall?
N. AB there's areas where the fall scat is 90% blueberries, larger bears have what looks like deer hair in theirs. A little further S and they're oat fed.

Always tempted, but in AB you have to use the fur, and I've just never felt the need to spend maybe 1000 bucks on the hide(think it's 150/ft to get a rug done) just to try the meat.

Give the hide a good scrape, rub in a good mixture of rock salt and alumn, stretch the hide between poles, and leave it, skin side out fur side shade, scraping it every couple of days for a month and you've got a weather tanned hide. Comes out a little stiff, but then if you're married, just get the wife to chew on the skin between carrying water from the well and it'll turn out just as soft as a baby's butt.

BruceW
02-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Hey, Thanks! Thar be a baar in my future, although my wife gave me, "that look", when I suggested she could chew on it.:-D