PDA

View Full Version : elk numbers in south okanagan

bckev
02-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Does anyone know the elk numbers for the south okanagan. I had no luck finding elk there this year and am wondering if they have moved on to better habitat. I am hearing more stories of better numbers around Kelowna. Haven' heard much lately about numbers above Penticton and Oliver.

mark
02-19-2010, 08:37 PM
I dont have any ideas about their numbers.
Ill tell ya a couple things, you will never see one from a vehicle!
In 12 years of living here, I never saw a single elk.
This past season, I made it my quest to find the elk locally!
They live in some very dense cover, I had to do alot of hiking, many days seeing none at all.
Over the course of the season, I saw nearly 70 elk, only 1 squeaker legal bull after the season closed!
Ive hunted elk in the koots and 7b, both are way easier hunts than the Okanagan elk!

tracker
02-20-2010, 07:09 AM
They sure got hit hard lately,by the residents that can hunt all year around here..:shock: Easy access, from no snow helped them alot..

snowhunter
02-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Find that the elk are taking advantage of the thick cover around Okanagan Lake. I have seen one swimming just south of Sun Oka Beach, seen lots of elk tracks just north of Naramata. Calling the bull elk would be the only way to get them ?

slyfox
02-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Saw 30 this year in kettle valley no tag hunting whitetails was in a truck going to my destination.

bckev
02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Hunting the kootenays is definetly easier, I usually manage to call in at least one a year in the okanagan, I don't find them as verbal here as the kootenays. Usually I can find them, but had a hard time with even finding sign this year, no matter where I went. They definetly like the thicker stuff.

Walksalot
02-23-2010, 07:16 AM
I believe a count was done a couple of years ago and a number of 250 was established.

dave_fras
02-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I dont have any ideas about their numbers.
Ill tell ya a couple things, you will never see one from a vehicle!
In 12 years of living here, I never saw a single elk.
This past season, I made it my quest to find the elk locally!
They live in some very dense cover, I had to do alot of hiking, many days seeing none at all.
Over the course of the season, I saw nearly 70 elk, only 1 squeaker legal bull after the season closed!
Ive hunted elk in the koots and 7b, both are way easier hunts than the Okanagan elk!

hey mark... i know two guys who got elk while driving just this past season.... i ran into 2 herds last season too.... both had 5 points tho... i do agree with seeing tons more while your walking tho... i saw tons this year!

bckev
02-24-2010, 09:30 AM
You saw tons in the okanagan. What was the largest herd you saw. A couple of years ago I was seeing larger herds, then for a while all I saw were small bulls and no cows, this past year I didn't see a single elk and very little fresh sign.

GoatGuy
02-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Used to have it here. Most of it's just a guess.

Nobody's done an inventory other than in 8-09 ever if I recall correctly.

Generally tough country to do it in and we have no money and other priorities.

Needless to say elk are generally on the increase across all of Region 8 and are found in Region 3 to the West and North.

tangozulu
02-24-2010, 03:31 PM
So all the fires around Kelowna the last few years didn't boost the elk population..................those are wird elk in MHO

GoatGuy
02-24-2010, 06:14 PM
So all the fires around Kelowna the last few years didn't boost the elk population..................those are wird elk in MHO

No doubt the fires have helped the elk. They've also spread themselves out as well.

dave_fras
02-24-2010, 08:42 PM
the biggest herd i ran into was about 20 elk.. 2 small bulls and one 5x5... i actually had them run down the same draw i was rattling in for whiteys

358mag
02-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Region 8-09 has a large FN hunters base do the math lots of late season harvest

Fisher-Dude
02-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Region 8-09 has a large FN hunters base do the math lots of late season harvest

Hornie Lornie told me of a semi-trailer with a reefer unit being filled up by Indians in late August. Could be why I've never seen a legal bull up there in 47 years. :?

Walksalot
02-25-2010, 08:31 AM
I wonder if the stats of the elk harvest in 8-09 include the animals taken by the FN peoples. Does the FN harvest include either sex? If cows are being removed from the population then the population is being effected in a negative way. If the mature bulls are being over harvested that too is inpacting the population in a negative way. A reassessment of the wildlife management strategy might be in order.
The Okanagan Mountain Park is a huge plus for the elk as the rugged terrain and vehicular restriction bodes well for the animals. In the other areas the thick forest gives protection for the elk but the food sources within that forest is limited. The elk have to venture forth from the security of the dense forest to forage and given the extensive road systems from logging and fire guards the mature bulls could get cropped off rather quickly.

bckev
02-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Does anyone know the harvest rates for 8-1 and 8-9 this year.

one-shot-wonder
02-25-2010, 08:59 PM
In the other areas the thick forest gives protection for the elk but the food sources within that forest is limited. The elk have to venture forth from the security of the dense forest to forage and given the extensive road systems from logging and fire guards the mature bulls could get cropped off rather quickly.

Don't matter if the mature bulls get cropped.....the herd can still expand. I also don't see this as being a problem. They are elusive creatures and despite the road access in the OK the herd numbers are increasing.

The numbers on the east side of OK lake are doing quite well.

gibblewabble
02-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I am going to be camping in the Kettle this year alot to try and find some action for the season.

mark
02-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Hornie Lornie told me of a semi-trailer with a reefer unit being filled up by Indians in late August. Could be why I've never seen a legal bull up there in 47 years. :?

This would explain why every elk ive encountered runs like wildfire, when they see me.
I always wondered why they are so elusive when there is really not that much hunting pressure by law abiding hunters!

Most of the elk I found were burried deep in the thick and nasty bush. Would be hell to pack one out of some places I found them!

GoatGuy
02-25-2010, 09:37 PM
I wonder if the stats of the elk harvest in 8-09 include the animals taken by the FN peoples.

No..........

amerikazmoswanted23
08-31-2010, 09:55 PM
so guys I have a friend staying in Pentictin for a month and I was thinking of going to see him and do some hunting for a couble days in 8-09 would it be a worth getting an elk tag or just stick to deer and beer ?

cainer
08-31-2010, 11:26 PM
the day you don't have a tag is the day you see your biggest animal, you can almost count on that!

4 point
09-01-2010, 11:12 AM
You are so right!

GoatGuy
09-01-2010, 11:46 AM
old man did that 5 years ago. 2 6 pts september 10th standing side by side, no tag.

Hahaha, teach him for being cheap. Spend $60 on gas driving across the country, but can't spend $25 on a tag.

Mountain Man
09-01-2010, 01:24 PM
The numbers are estimated at 250 - 300 head!? My partner and I shot 2 bulls that went over 300 last fall! They are there, tough to hunt and you have to have some luck on your side as the densities’ just are not there to be successful every fall killing a 6 point. I know of 8 legal bulls from k-town area last fall!?

.300WSMImpact!
09-01-2010, 03:10 PM
I have a bunch around my trail cam, cant keep them away, all I want to see is deer, but all I get is moose and elk

358mag
09-01-2010, 07:50 PM
47 Years ??? maybe try a diff region !!!