PDA

View Full Version : Places around Vancouver for excursions / small game?

domyalex
02-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Hello folks,

I live in Richmond <sigh>, and I'm looking for places not-too-far-away where I could go hunting.

I'm mainly interested in getting out of house; I'll be carrying my .22, if some small game happens close to me, the better, but this is first about getting out and second about hunting (at least for now...).

Looking at the map, it seems I have some choices 1:30 hrs or less away
- North of North Vancouver, between Cypress and Seymour parks
- North of Coquitlam, between the Belcara and Pinecone parks
- North of Mapple Ridge (this one would probably be fathests from my house)

This would probably turn out into a bi-weekly excursion, so Mission in kind of far away...

And yes, I'll definitely pick up the backroads book soon.

Any suggestion / inputs?

Thanks!

Thanks

Alejandro

Darwin
02-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Sounds like more just getting out so i would say, Back road map book and if you have a capable rig check out funinbc.com allot more on the getting out stuff.

domyalex
02-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Not really "capable rig".... Mazda 3 GT so far (only vehicle in the house)

Darwin
02-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Well thats a tuff one. Any were that a car can get to easy will more then likely have allot of people pets etc.. around and I would think walking around with your rifle might not workout well.

MichelD
02-19-2010, 03:45 PM
See "does anyone know were good rabbit hunting is?" thread below.

But really, and I mean no disrespect by saying this and I stand to be corrected, but in my opinion B.C. isn't really small game country.

In the fall season we have some good upland game bird opportunities and you may have the occasional crack at a snowshoe hare, but small game opportunities, particularly in the winter in the Lower Mainland are nearly non-existent.

Up country folks have a better chance at getting out after snowshoe hares (If they can see 'em in the snow.)

It's not eastern Canada where there's rabbits nearly everywhere.

oldtimer
02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
What about the downtown east side ? I hear there are lots of rats and vermin there and you can use public transport to get there :)

riflelove
02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
domyalex (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?u=11334)

I am in the same boat as you (from Richmond) . Please do share your knowlege if you find anything.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Try Whistler. I saw a bobcat in the news that was close to the luge/bobsled track(the media called it a lynx:?).

SSS

Surrey Boy
02-19-2010, 06:01 PM
"Capable rig" is a subjective term. Two best vehicles I ever used offroad were an 87 Volvo 240 wagon and a 1993 Ford Festiva. Chains help, but I find the small wheelbase helps most on logging roads. Keep a shovel and a comealong with lots of rope in the trunk.

BiG Boar
02-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Lots of good duck hunting just 2 minutes south! Right below richmond u can hunt ducks and geese. Buy a set of waders and a small inflatable boat and motor for under $1500 and your set !

humble hunter
02-20-2010, 10:28 AM
If you show up with a gun between Cypress and Seymour be prepared for the ERT team to take you out! Why don't you just drive up the squamish valley. A little farther but lots of space and bobcats, coyotes, etc. Drive time from richmond approx 70 minutes.

domyalex
02-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Just had a look at Fraser Valley Hunting Map... this doesn't look good...

It's basically Coquitlam Lake or Squamish area it seems.

humble hunter, I'm assuming you mean 2-7 and 2-6? What about 2-8, north of Cypress Park?

How's the road to Coquitlam Lake? Is it paved?

Thanks all!

If you show up with a gun between Cypress and Seymour be prepared for the ERT team to take you out! Why don't you just drive up the squamish valley. A little farther but lots of space and bobcats, coyotes, etc. Drive time from richmond approx 70 minutes.

lip_ripper00
02-20-2010, 01:09 PM
How's the road to Coquitlam Lake? Is it paved?

Thanks all!

Coquitlam Lake is in the water shead, GATED, NO ACCESS.

Brew
02-20-2010, 05:35 PM
North maple ridge won't work either. UBC research forest is out of the question. Golden ears park is also a no go. Stave lake is a gong show with too many people and garbage everywhere. Try Harrison or hope. Get yourself a predator call. Racoons like to come the the cottontail distress call. Had 4 come to it this season. Theres only yotes and coons open now in region 2

seanps
02-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Snowshoe Hare is open until April 30, isn't it?

domyalex: Welcome to the club. There's a number of "where to go near Vancouver" posts on here (I asked the question a few times myself in the fall), and it really comes down to:

1) Head east on Highway 1 to Hope;

2) Drive the Sea-to-Sky past Squamish, head into the logging roads.

I drove the latter this fall and hiked side roads. I understand the road isn't maintained in the winter and I doubt it would be a good idea to take a car in there. (I drive a small 2wd too).

Even if you make it in there, though, prepare for lots of hiking *up* before you run into a coyote or the like, and don't expect to see any snowshoe hare.

bsa30-06
02-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Cars can travel a fair ways down the east side of harrison,when the weather is good.Probably wouldnt try it in the snow.