PDA

View Full Version : Cougar season 09\10

SHAKER
02-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Well it sucked! but I thought I'd share a few pics from the year.

High up on what used to be good cat country
http://i45.tinypic.com/ilgk1z.jpg

Ottis T Driftwood being a gumby as usual.

http://i48.tinypic.com/14nfry8.jpg

Bubbles asking why she got out of bed so early!

http://i45.tinypic.com/ifsvwo.jpg

BlacktailStalker
02-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes, it was a tough year.

SHAKER
02-18-2010, 02:44 PM
No it was a horrible year.... I'm not going to sugar coat it!

3kills
02-18-2010, 08:45 PM
nice pics..sorry it was such a bad year for u guys. i know a guy from here that him and his friends had an awesome year.

shaner338
02-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Little tuff to cut tracks in the rain.

Barracuda
02-18-2010, 11:39 PM
it sucked . im about ready to have the hounds made into rugs.

sourdough
02-18-2010, 11:53 PM
3 Kills Maybe you don`t realise the advantage outfitters have over residents.Outfitters have& use the 80 days of kill season whereas the majority of resident hunters have at best12 weekends or 24days to hunt.Also most resident hunters don`t have a lot of people out&about looking for tracks. To say we are at an exstreme disadvantage is undeniable.

3kills
02-19-2010, 12:49 AM
i worded it wrong. it wasnt his clients it was friends that he took out. he isnt an outfitter. i know a few people that are friends of mine and as well his. and they went out with him and they all tagged out with him and his hounds couple goin book.

hunter1947
02-19-2010, 04:43 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif cool pic ,looks like you could just walk out onto them clouds..

bayou
02-19-2010, 07:48 AM
i worded it wrong. it wasnt his clients it was friends that he took out. he isnt an outfitter. i know a few people that are friends of mine and as well his. and they went out with him and they all tagged out with him and his hounds couple goin book.
Which region were they hunting in.

dave_fras
02-19-2010, 08:56 AM
i was out looking for horns yesterday and we actually came across a cat feeding on a whitetaill.... boy did i get the hell out of there haha

Barracuda
02-19-2010, 10:01 AM
"friends" Lol!

3kills
02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
actaully barracuda they are friends the 3 guys i know that went with him are friends u gotta remember merritt is a small town everyone knows eveyone LOL

ruger#1
02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
There is a cougar hanging around the town of Oliver,It has already killed a few deer and one cat. Its been around there for a couple of months.

hunter1947
02-20-2010, 06:22 AM
We are having the same problems with wolfs if there is no snow its hard to find there travel trails..

dana
02-20-2010, 08:18 AM
3 Kills Maybe you don`t realise the advantage outfitters have over residents.Outfitters have& use the 80 days of kill season whereas the majority of resident hunters have at best12 weekends or 24days to hunt.Also most resident hunters don`t have a lot of people out&about looking for tracks. To say we are at an exstreme disadvantage is undeniable.

I'm going to call BS to this statement. I know a ton of houndsmen that don't do a damn thing for work in the winter. Many outfitters are damn busy in the winter doing the hunting show circuit. To whine that someone has more time that you is friggin lame. Winter is my busy time when it comes to work. Pretty hard to be a weekend warrior lion hunter when you are physically beat from a week of slogging on the misery sticks. I did see a ton of lion tracks this year, but I'm too chicken shit to turn out with wolves all around me.

SHAKER
02-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm going to call BS to this statement. I know a ton of houndsmen that don't do a damn thing for work in the winter. Many outfitters are damn busy in the winter doing the hunting show circuit. To whine that someone has more time that you is friggin lame. Winter is my busy time when it comes to work. Pretty hard to be a weekend warrior lion hunter when you are physically beat from a week of slogging on the misery sticks. I did see a ton of lion tracks this year, but I'm too chicken shit to turn out with wolves all around me.

Sorry Dana but this is not the case here in the south okanogan.... Outfitters are pounding trails hard core! To say its unfair that someone has more time then another is one thing but the reality is that us residents cannot compete with these commertial operations. Sorry to call you on this one. Region 8 cat numbers are in the tank I'm glad to hear your areas are doing well..... maybe a few will filter our way.

dana
02-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I happen to have a lot of friends that shed hunt down in the OK and they are seeing a ton of lion sign. I personally know houndsmen in the OK that are doing very well. IMO the OK just has a ton of guys that are Weekend Warriors that bitch and moan when they can't find a track from the comfort of their truck or sled. Oh My God, it was a El Nino year and a lot of houndsmen can't read tracks that aren't made in snow. Must mean the lions are all dead. It must be the outfitter's fault. Yada Yada Yada. I personally never got under a single tree this year but you don't see me whinning about the year. I saw a lot of sign in both snow and mud. I could have taken some risks but I don't have the ability to take a bunch of days of work trying to find dogs so I decided to be conservative. Big deal. Suck it up and hope for some better conditions next year.

Spokerider
02-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I happen to have a lot of friends that shed hunt down in the OK and they are seeing a ton of lion sign. I personally know houndsmen in the OK that are doing very well. IMO the OK just has a ton of guys that are Weekend Warriors that bitch and moan when they can't find a track from the comfort of their truck or sled. Oh My God, it was a El Nino year and a lot of houndsmen can't read tracks that aren't made in snow. Must mean the lions are all dead. It must be the outfitter's fault. Yada Yada Yada. I personally never got under a single tree this year but you don't see me whinning about the year. I saw a lot of sign in both snow and mud. I could have taken some risks but I don't have the ability to take a bunch of days of work trying to find dogs so I decided to be conservative. Big deal. Suck it up and hope for some better conditions next year.

Ouch. :confused:

ruger#1
02-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Ouch. :confused:Yes, it looks like he was breast feed for to long, Hence the attitude!

Barracuda
02-20-2010, 11:24 AM
face facts it was a lousy winter for cats. the ones that can get out there the most or can AFFORD to are the ones seeing more tracks . some guys may have the time but not the money and some dont have the time but do have the money.

There are some houndsmen that cover thier costs with compensation from "Friends" which allows them time in the field and there are some that are legitimit guides that need to earn a liveing from it.

Those people will always get more cats and time in the field because they afford to hunt both time wise and money wise.

In a normal year you might not notice but is a year such as this it is a real eye opener.

Cant change the weather.

digger dogger
02-20-2010, 12:40 PM
"friends" Lol!
ouch!!! that's not very nice..
it's been a good season for cleanin dog sh*t, thats for sure.

dana
02-20-2010, 12:52 PM
ouch!!! that's not very nice..
it's been a good season for cleanin dog sh*t, thats for sure.

One bonus for an El Nino winter is it is a little easier cleaning the dog pen since it isn't frozen in ice.:wink:

SHAKER
02-20-2010, 02:02 PM

I don't want to get into a pissing contest about this but, the OK does not have allot of hound hunters compared to other parts of the province exaple reg. 4 but the boys over there got a handle on the "management" aspect and from what I've heard the cat #'s have rebounded well. Sourdough and I aren't weekend worrior cat hunters, I don't get out as much as I like but sour does have a very valid point. To say the numbers are good here is a farce.... 2 outfitters here last year never even killed a cat! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there might be a problem. Spend a season or 2 in our shoes and you might be singing a different tune.

dana
02-20-2010, 02:20 PM
So if it is so bad there, you can't take a drive over the Connector? Oh my god, 3 kills must be lying. No houndsman could be successful within an hour and a half drive of the OK right? If it is your passion, go find the snow and go find the cats. Many places in the southern interior where you can get away from the crowds and hunt from Sept through the end of March. But when it comes to the OK situation, I just find it funny that the sheep guys are saying the lions are doing a good number on some of the Cali's in the OK and yet the OK houndsmen say there is no lions left. Makes a guy go Hmmm.

tomla1
02-20-2010, 02:21 PM
That pic with the clouds is unreal

tracker
02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Weekend warrior here !!!

Yes we treeded a few but as I understand those few treed up could have been a one day event on the weekend a number of years ago not a whole season[weekend warrior] worth...

Seen alot of female and kitten sign out there maybe they will return in the next few years like they use to be.... The toms were very very hard to find ,bad conditions were definantly a factor this year, as fresh snow means alot to find track and for the dogs to take the track..

Going to push harder for them next year though ,goodluck to all..

SHAKER
02-20-2010, 08:47 PM
[quote=dana; But when it comes to the OK situation, I just find it funny that the sheep guys are saying the lions are doing a good number on some of the Cali's in the OK and yet the OK houndsmen say there is no lions left.

Havn't heard that one yet...... So thats why we can't get a GOS season for a Cali here.:?

Like I said I'm not here to pick a fight with anyone..... Just wanted to show a few pictures and say what a depressing cat season we had. "We" meaning every resident cat hunter I know. I still wouldn't trade my Cat season for any Whitetail hunt but fact is fact our numbers are down. harvest stats definatly prove that.

SHAKER
02-20-2010, 08:48 PM
That pic with the clouds is unreal

Thanks...... thats what the thread was suposed to be about.
The good times!

quigleyoutwest
02-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Man us cat hunters are competitive. I bet I could pee over the fence. Oh ya. Ya

BlacktailStalker
02-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Cant say I know any houndsman who will kill "a few for friends" in their own back yard, just because :neutral:

All cats go "book" online, everybody knows that.
Got any pics for us ?

Anybody know the compulsory inspector for Reg.3 ?

SHAKER
02-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Man us cat hunters are competitive. I bet I could pee over the fence. Oh ya. Ya

LOL........ Just don 't piss on my hound! he gets mad, probably cause he still piss's on his front foot.:-D He just anit too smart.

Gunner
02-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Don't know of a single cat treed,let alone taken in this area.No snow and lot's of wolves around.I know of areas that had good numbers of cats,but with the ground the way it was you couldn't track the dogs.Plus everyone I know was breaking in new pups this year.Next year. Gunner

dana
02-20-2010, 09:38 PM
My orginal comment called BS on the statement that resident hunters can't compete with the outfitters. If the Region 8 boys want to think there are no cats left fine, just don't give me the cop out that resident hunters can't get er done because the outfitter beat em to them. I know plenty of houndmen that can kick most outfitter's asses when it comes to getting big toms up trees. No different from the fact that me and my crew are kicking the entire GOABC's asses when it comes to trophy muleys. :)

SHAKER
02-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey Mr. Guns.......... heard their was a little action up your way when their was some white stuff on the ground. Also been hearing about them wolfy critters up your way too...... not good news! Maybe our region can get out of the dark age and get a wolf season? We are the only ones that dont' have one, go figure?

Oh well maybe I can go do a little brant hunt'n this year? It's definatly been awhile

Gunner
02-20-2010, 09:44 PM
My orginal comment called BS on the statement that resident hunters can't compete with the outfitters. If the Region 8 boys want to think there are no cats left fine, just don't give me the cop out that resident hunters can't get er done because the outfitter beat em to them. I know plenty of houndmen that can kick most outfitter's asses when it comes to getting big toms up trees. No different from the fact that me and my crew are kicking the entire GOABC's asses when it comes to trophy muleys. :)Not complaining about a lack of cats or outfitters in the north OK,or the areas of Region 3 that we were in.Just crappy conditions!The number of wolves was suprising,we went to dump the young dogs on a track,and didn't go 20 feet before we ran into 6 sets of fresh woof tracks.Boxed the dogs back up and moved 5 miles, ran into 2 more sets.All within 10 miles of Bumly. Gunner

SHAKER
02-20-2010, 10:00 PM
My orginal comment called BS on the statement that resident hunters can't compete with the outfitters. If the Region 8 boys want to think there are no cats left fine, just don't give me the cop out that resident hunters can't get er done because the outfitter beat em to them. I know plenty of houndmen that can kick most outfitter's asses when it comes to getting big toms up trees. No different from the fact that me and my crew are kicking the entire GOABC's asses when it comes to trophy muleys. :)

Dana you have redeamed youself with this post (thank you) I was getting worried you might have been influanced by the dark side. I know it isn't a cop out that outfitters are out competeing us.... On the effort side most of us dont have a crew of 5 or 6 guys runn'n roads everyday from dark to dark. When it comes down right down to it these guys have the advantage every time. Most of us have jobs, family responsibilitys ect and don't have a huge bank role to go from start to finish of the season every day. Like I said earlier 2 GO's didn't even harvest a cat last season, definatly not for lack of effort (talked to one on the last day still pound'n trail). Hound for Hound.... yep their is some residents that really know their $&*()&^ and do know how to get it done given the the opertunity I'm sure I can hold my own with them as well... but you need a critter to get the chase started. Simply put we just don't have the cats that we used to have.

That last sentance of yours really brought a smile to my face glad to hear it... Lets just agree to disagree or what ever we need to do cause it aint worth getting worked up about.

Just curious where you heard about the sheep thing? I havn't heard that one yet but It sure wouldn't suprise me.

dana
02-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I've heard the sheep thing several times over the last few years when it comes to some of the recent transplants from the Loops to the OK.

As for my comments, I guess I'm just tired of seeing the constant outfitter BS on this site. I ain't gone over to the dark side. I'm just tired of the constant whinning I see here and that is why I jumped in. Simple fact is most outfitters are a lazy bunch. That one down in the OK might be the exception to the rule. But from what I've seen, they mostly take the easy route since most of their clients are fat and old. :)

chilcotin hillbilly
02-21-2010, 07:22 AM
I've heard the sheep thing several times over the last few years when it comes to some of the recent transplants from the Loops to the OK.

As for my comments, I guess I'm just tired of seeing the constant outfitter BS on this site. I ain't gone over to the dark side. I'm just tired of the constant whinning I see here and that is why I jumped in. Simple fact is most outfitters are a lazy bunch. That one down in the OK might be the exception to the rule. But from what I've seen, they mostly take the easy route since most of their clients are fat and old. :)

Sorry Dana, But not all of us take the easy way out. Just ask a few of the members that hunted with me this year! I run a one man show, no outside help from road runners checking tracks. The harder the conditions the harder you have to hunt.

huntcoop
02-21-2010, 08:58 AM
What happened to all the pictures? Put ur dicks away and post some cat pix.

dana
02-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Sorry Dana, But not all of us take the easy way out. Just ask a few of the members that hunted with me this year! I run a one man show, no outside help from road runners checking tracks. The harder the conditions the harder you have to hunt.

If you reread my post you'll see that I said MOST outfitters are lazy. I didn't say ALL only because there are a few exceptions to the rule. I'm sure the outfitter from the OK that everyone bitches about is also one of those. Happened to have gone to school with some of his kin. I know they are a hard-core hunting bunch, always have been.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Sounds like there are just a lot of guys chasing tail in the south OK...not just one GO but three....and quite a few residents.

Need to get away from the crowds...just like any kind of hunting.:-|

SSS

Barracuda
02-21-2010, 09:43 AM
well i have to admit if we didnt see snow it wasnt much more then a training day. bears never seemed to go down so that added problems for us (dogs didnt mind though)

Was really hopeing to go out and share the fun with hounds but i dont think i have ever seen so little snow in areas that were normally covered in it from nov on.

I suppose if we travelled several hours we could be in better snow country but even up country the snow was sparse compared to previous years and time constraints were such that extended days were not in the card for us.

Its just been a tough year is all .
thinking might make a trip to the island if we can arrange the time as at least it will be differnt.

anyone know of any fresh snow within 2hrs from the mainland?

Kinda the last winter for us if the move goes as planned so it would have been nice to have a good one.

BlacktailStalker
02-21-2010, 07:17 PM
A trip to the Island ?? No snow here LOL

Barracuda
02-21-2010, 07:59 PM
actually was thinking island for fishing and bear and cat in the spring .

even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then:mrgreen:

horshur
02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2974_1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2976.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2982.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2985.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2991.jpg

horshur
02-21-2010, 08:49 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2988.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2626.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2648.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2599.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2585.jpg

horshur
02-21-2010, 08:54 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2472.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_2469.jpg

Lets go hunting dad
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_1762.jpg

BlacktailStalker
02-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Great pictures Andy

houndogger
02-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Nice looking dog Andy:wink:

bayou
02-22-2010, 07:48 AM
I don't want to get into a pissing contest about this but, the OK does not have allot of hound hunters compared to other parts of the province exaple reg. 4 but the boys over there got a handle on the "management" aspect and from what I've heard the cat #'s have rebounded well. Sourdough and I aren't weekend worrior cat hunters, I don't get out as much as I like but sour does have a very valid point. To say the numbers are good here is a farce.... 2 outfitters here last year never even killed a cat! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there might be a problem. Spend a season or 2 in our shoes and you might be singing a different tune.
I guess its a matter of opinion on what you feel management is, persoanally killing all cats is not good in my opinion. If it was to be managed it should be broke down to each Mu not region wide regulations.

SHAKER
02-22-2010, 10:57 AM
I guess its a matter of opinion on what you feel management is, persoanally killing all cats is not good in my opinion. If it was to be managed it should be broke down to each Mu not region wide regulations.

Sorry my computers been down for a bit..... above statement...PERFECT!
Don't know anyone who could have said it better!

Also some great pics their H.