PDA

View Full Version : Question About Rifle Calibers

hawkfu
02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
hi guys,
i got a .308 already.and i plan for buying another one,personally i prefer 7mm. but friends around me mostly bought .300 wsm for win mag, some are .3006, any suggestion from you?

Tenacious Billy
02-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I've got a 300 win - I love it. My friends all have different calibers and are just as happy. Buy what you want and what suits you. I wouldn't worry too much about what you're friends have.

02-18-2010, 12:08 PM
if you have a .308 and are going to keep it go .300.
open the gap a bit if you are intending on selling the .308
you should go 7mm or -06

peashooter
02-18-2010, 12:14 PM
308 is a very capable round. Don't rush into another similar caliber. What are you planing on hunting.

CanadanHirvi
02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
why not 338 win mag?

kamloopshunter
02-18-2010, 01:23 PM
yeah, agree with above. Are you going for something bigger. The 3006 is too close to the 308 and the 300 isn't that far off either. What about the 338wm? It allows more usuable range than the 300 with the 308

johnes50
02-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Is there a particular reason why are you buying another rifle?

Because the 308 is very capable in the right hands and with the right ammo.

I shoot everything from 110gr carbine bullets to 220gr 'thumper' bullets from my 308.

Rock Doctor
02-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Have you considered an 8mm Mag? Very capable caliber, I've had a few of them, and the one I have now is one of my favorites in my collection.
If you are not a reloader, you may want to pass on it.

hawkfu
02-19-2010, 01:03 AM
first of all, thx all the reply from you. i've been in the hunting field not too long.but i crazyly love it.last year, for the moose hunting, 2 neck shot, but first shot the moose even don't move. i thought i missed it. .308 works very good on deer and small black bear. but there is once i shot a big bear, he run away. i follow the blood track for half mile, and miss it finally. i think if it is a bigger caliber rifle, for the neck shot, it should be dead.
the reason i prefer 7mm, one is it is very accurate, the other is according to the reference of the caliber diagram, 7mm is way bigger than .308 and similar with .300.
someone say .338 is good, but i think it is too big for BC hunting. it is the caliber to kill such like rhino and elephant big animal.

nice video doctor, and u are lucky to get the draw.

Ted
02-19-2010, 09:18 AM
A Moose has a huge neck filled with muscle. It is very easy to miss the spine and you will only have a flesh wound. A heart/lung shot is much better if you have that opportunity. What type of bullets were you using with your .308? A .308 is a very capable round so possibly bullet selection and placement and an issue. Not that I think you shouldn't buy another gun as I don't think there is such a thing as having too many guns. See if you can shoot a friends 7mm, 300 wm etc to see if you like it first.

amerikazmoswanted23
02-19-2010, 09:37 AM
first of all, thx all the reply from you. i've been in the hunting field not too long.but i crazyly love it.last year, for the moose hunting, 2 neck shot, but first shot the moose even don't move. i thought i missed it. .308 works very good on deer and small black bear. but there is once i shot a big bear, he run away. i follow the blood track for half mile, and miss it finally. i think if it is a bigger caliber rifle, for the neck shot, it should be dead.
the reason i prefer 7mm, one is it is very accurate, the other is according to the reference of the caliber diagram, 7mm is way bigger than .308 and similar with .300.
someone say .338 is good, but i think it is too big for BC hunting. it is the caliber to kill such like rhino and elephant big animal.

nice video doctor, and u are lucky to get the draw.
a 7mm isn't any more accurate. it depends on a lot of things what loads your shooting, glass and mostly the shooter. and the 7mm is faster and hits harder than a 308 but the bullet is smaller.

kamloopshunter
02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't be using a 338 on an elephant or rhino, I think it is a little light but who knows. 338 is known to be the king of elk calibers. Its a perfect caliber for the bigger classes of animals in NA. I know it is preference but that moose and bear wouldn't be moving if you hit them with the 338. The 338 is still packing a massive punch at 200-300 yards. Like others were saying shot placement is key, but if you hit them where you did with the 308 with a 338 you would have found the bear, my guess. At least get a 300 over a 7mm, the 308 is too close in comparison with the 308.

hawkfu
02-19-2010, 02:52 PM
ok, which rifle would you guys prefer?i mean either brand name or some specific ones with bigger power?

Phreddy
02-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Ted has some pretty good advice. The best way to find out what you want to shoot is to spend a day at the range and talk to other guys using different calibres. Tell them what you want to do with the gun, and you'll find most folks will let you try a shot or two from their rifle. You don't want to buy a great big, reachout and touch someone gun that kicks like a stump broke mare when a smaller caliber will do the trick without creating a flinch.
The .308 is an awsome caliber, But then so is the 6.5x55 mm, 7mm, 8mm, and the 270, 7mm mag, etc.
A .308, with a 165 gr Barnes is going to knock down anything you shoot at, but neck shots aren't recommended with any caliber in my opinion. You have a much bigger target when you go for the boiler room and the meat wastage with a well place shot is minimal.

amerikazmoswanted23
02-19-2010, 02:58 PM
a 300wsm would be nice if you reload cuz you could use the same bullets for both. but if it was me i'd go for the 338. it's not to big for deer I know a guy that uses a 375 h&h for deer all the way up to moose.

steelheadSABO
02-21-2010, 05:20 PM
i think 375 h&h but don't shoot anything bigger than a deer it wont kill them good enough:)
308 is all you need for north america from grouse to the great moose i want to say grizzly because it has been done but i know i will just get razzed about how you need a super magnum to take down grizz:)

ROM
02-21-2010, 05:36 PM
The 300 WSM would be a great step up. If you did not have a .308 i'd say a 3006 or 7mm mag would be fine.

4 years ago I upgraded from a 308 to 300 wsm. There have been 2 shots in the last 3 years that I likely would not have chanced due to bullet drop with a 308. 325 yards on a white tail is a long way.

The 300 WSM is arguably more inherently accurate due to the diminished vibration of a short case and more uniform powder burn. This accuracy is thought by many, not to be significant for hunting. Mine's a tack driver though.
R

gibblewabble
02-21-2010, 06:02 PM
A bigger bullet isnt going to solve your problems and it might make it worse as they inflict a bigger kick and alot of guys start to wince at it. Think shot placement, I have hunted with 30-06 for 28 years and have never lost a bear or moose and I grew up in moose country. A neck shot has alot of opportunity for wounding only but if you place a bullet into the engine room it might run but it wont run far. I have had friends call me to track for them quite often when I was 19-23 and most of the time we had to track an animal it was because of a neck shot. Neck is fine on a deer because it has a small neck but I still dont take neck shots.

I have seen hundreds of moose taken with 303, 7mm,308,30-06 even 30-30 is a good caliber but it is about shooting alot when you start out and hitting in the chest, even if you miss the lungs you will take out something vital and if you hit low you take out the heart. Dont take neck shots unless you are very good with your rifle and I hate to say it but it sounds to me like a bigger gun isnt going to help you, more shooting will.
I am very comfortable shooting my odd 6 out to 400 yards because I have shot that round thousands of times and I know it has lethality out to that distance a 308 is not that much different. Practice before you jump up at least and get used to shooting, when I started shooting large caliber rifles my dad would take me to the range every weekend for the month leading up to the season opener and once a month minimum during the year.

Try hitting the engine room and this problem will go away as there are way to many vital organs there and you mostly ruin some ribs whereas with the neck there is alot of burger meat there.

By the way my 06 is a tack driver too.

Gateholio
02-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Your problem isn't cartridge selection, it's shot placement and possibly bullet construction.

You need to practice your marksmanship and study animal diagrams to determine what part of the animal to aim for.

steelheadSABO
02-21-2010, 06:35 PM
i agree with gatehouse

gibblewabble
02-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Just think about how many animals were shot on this continent with 30-30's. It is shot placementthat kills animals not magnums.

todbartell
02-21-2010, 07:17 PM
The 300 WSM is arguably more inherently accurate due to the diminished vibration of a short case and more uniform powder burn. This accuracy is thought by many, not to be significant for hunting. Mine's a tack driver though.
R

care to expand your thoughts on this vibration issue? :-D sounds interesting

eaglesnester
02-25-2010, 03:44 PM
The 7em-em has some very very good ballistic characteristics. Almost every hunter - shooter in B.C has one in their gun safe. It is an excellent long range caliber. I guess it is the way the case is designed and the bullet weight to caliber ratios that make it such darn good bullet rifle combl. It would make a good military sniper rifle. There ante no flies on the 308 either. They both will serve you well.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

brian
02-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Gatehouse has rocked this question! Your problem isn't your rifle.

hawkfu
02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
THx for all the advises.

RambleOn
02-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Wow....many responses and not one, not a single..... "buy a 30-06 and sell the 308", I like it. Looks like we are going places.:-D
I 2nd or maybe third(wasnt counting) that motion for the 7mm. Fast, flat and easy to shoot/learn to shoot well.

Then you can buy a big thumper cartridge and your are all set. BOOM!:twisted:

.330 Dakota
02-27-2010, 08:32 PM
A moose shot in the neck is a moose shot in the neck. Caliber/Velocity, Bullet weight makes no difference on a non-vital hit.
Hit a lung, heart, bust a shoulder...the .308 will do it---seen it on big moose. Just admit you want the rest of us to help justify another gun purchase and go buy it. Its okay we understand, you need more guns, we all do. I have slayed moose with everything from the lowly 44 mag up to the 416 Rem Mag. Hit properly they all die.
I prefer the 338 class for an all round BC cartridge though. Not too big for deer in a pinch, and will kill everything else efficiently including Grizz

Phreddy
02-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Gibblewabble has hit the 10 ring with his comment. All these super powered "designer" calibres" aren't worth crap if you can't shoot straight.
Martyonthe water got my grandfathers' Winchester 30-30 that family legend has it started out as a 22 and he wore the barrel down to 30 cal.
He was the first millwright in the Crowsnest working at the old mill in Wardner around the turn of the 19th to 20th century and shot everything from grouse to griz with it.
The only thing he never developed from all that shooting was a flinch, which seems to be a common problem for a lot of folks these days because they're overpowered.
For animals knocked down at reasonable shooting distances I'll put my '06 or my 308 up against any magnum and walk away from the bush with animals killed just as dead. Spend a lot more time at the range as well, at a fraction of the cost and no sore shoulder.

Caveman
02-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Wow....many responses and not one, not a single..... "buy a 30-06 and sell the 308", I like it. Looks like we are going places.:-D
I 2nd or maybe third(wasnt counting) that motion for the 7mm. Fast, flat and easy to shoot/learn to shoot well.

Then you can buy a big thumper cartridge and your are all set. BOOM!:twisted:

Okay! I'll say it. Sell the 308, get the 30.06!!!!! As many have said, the magnum is not your answer. You could be shooting a cannon, but if you can't hit the kill zone he's getting away. I had a bad experience as a young hunter having a doe get away after a neck shot. Tracked her over 2 km in the snow. Never did find her. To this day I will not take a neck shot until I know there is one in the boiler room. I have taken the biggest of NA game in the neck, after a boiler room shot, and you don't need a magnum to be successful, just a well placed shot. I'm sure that I could confidently take that first shot in the neck, but I still remember the feeling in my stomach thinking of that doe suffering and dying a slow death, and that is not what a responsible hunter strives for. Practise, Practise, get to know your gun like an extention of your arm. Only then if you decide to, go to another caliber, but do you really need to? Truthfully..............Probably not!!!

I'm a 30.06 shooter........and I'm not afraid to admit it!!! :wink:

bearhunter338-06
02-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I had a 338win mag with a fare bit of work done to it to tame it down (not that the recoil was to much for me). Now my big bore is my 338-06, followed by my 308 win. then my 257 Roberts. I find myself more and more going with my "sub standered non magnum not enough power to kill anything beond 100 yards" rifles. Place a good bullet in the "boiler room" and the animal is done, gopher, deer, elk, and even moose (yes I said moose). The number one thing is practice get to know your rifle. Then go out and then get a 338win mag.

cloverphil
02-28-2010, 12:08 AM
it seems to me that you could read and learn a lot more about the calibres you thinking about before making an educated choice about what to buy if you feel you don't get what you need from the 308

this could be one place, among many, to start

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ballistics/308_winchester.html

there is a wealth of information on the net if one chooses to search for it oneself

or like some of the guys have said, spend more time at the range and get to know your own gun or try some others before buying

just a thought

Ender
02-28-2010, 06:48 PM
if you can kill a deer, (or moose, elk, bear for that matter) with an arrow there is no reason you shouldnt be able to do the same with any legal hunting caliber.

I use a 7mm rem mag to try and cover as much range of possibility as I can because I can only afford one hunting rifle right now and it works great. If you want a new toy then treat yourself :D But remember, no matter what caliber you use the key is shot placement, shot placement, shot placement!

Vanman1985
03-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Okay! I'll say it. Sell the 308, get the 30.06!!!!! As many have said, the magnum is not your answer. You could be shooting a cannon, but if you can't hit the kill zone he's getting away. I had a bad experience as a young hunter having a doe get away after a neck shot. Tracked her over 2 km in the snow. Never did find her. To this day I will not take a neck shot until I know there is one in the boiler room. I have taken the biggest of NA game in the neck, after a boiler room shot, and you don't need a magnum to be successful, just a well placed shot. I'm sure that I could confidently take that first shot in the neck, but I still remember the feeling in my stomach thinking of that doe suffering and dying a slow death, and that is not what a responsible hunter strives for. Practise, Practise, get to know your gun like an extention of your arm. Only then if you decide to, go to another caliber, but do you really need to? Truthfully..............Probably not!!!

I'm a 30.06 shooter........and I'm not afraid to admit it!!! :wink:

It won't take long at the range to convert you...... you'll be sellin the 300wsm in no time:wink: Just teasing,

My only advise is to get out and try different calibers, I've seen flinches come from guys getting in over their heads. I'm a big guy and sitting down at the range I'm good for about a box then my shoulder says i've had enough, and like it's been said shot placement and practice will get you further then a step up in caliber.

emerson
03-01-2010, 10:12 AM
308 is fine if properly used. Take the money you would spend on a new rife and buy ammo. Use it all practicing at the range. That will bring down a moose far more reliably than a bigger rifle. Having more than one quality large centerfire hunting rifle is like buying a new vehicle every 2 years. It's a question of budget; not need.

tuzzi_bear
03-26-2010, 10:35 PM
7mm will take down anything in B.C and shoots nice a flat. My buddies mostly shoot the 300. Either or I am very happy with my 7mm, Another thing to keep in mind is the cost/availablity of ammo. The 30,06 is cheap and readily available basicly anywhere.

chinook
03-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Ive got both a 7mm and a 30-06 and have had good outcomes with both. Personally, I prefer my 7mm but likely because it is of superior quality and has better optics than my '06 which I find help me use it with better accuracy and confidence. My advice is the same, you already know the calibers most guys reccomend so find one you like and that will be well suited to the type of hunting you are doing, or plan to do and shoot it often. Above all, dont be cheap. Buy a quality gun, optics, bullets and gear. Ive wasted too much money over the years being cheap!!

Good Luck!!

guntech
03-31-2010, 06:58 AM
hi guys,
i got a .308 already.and i plan for buying another one,personally i prefer 7mm. but friends around me mostly bought .300 wsm for win mag, some are .3006, any suggestion from you?

Your 'statement' is confusing. It says you have a .308 and plan on buying another .308. ???

.308 is only part of the name. I am assuming .308 Winchester not .308 Norma Magnum.

I am guessing you would like to buy a 7mm... again 7mm is only part of the name. There are many 7mm's.

Two recommendations...
If you already have a .308 Winchester I would highly recommend the 7mm Remington Magnum.
Stop texting and work on punctuation, grammar skills.
:wink: