PDA

View Full Version : grizz draw 7-28

trapman
02-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Hoping to get a little info on grizz in 7-28 ,anything and every thing would help . Thanks Glen

.330 Dakota
02-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Hoping to get a little info on grizz in 7-28 ,anything and every thing would help . Thanks Glen

Hi Glen, I have a draw for that unit as well, I ahve never been there but have buddies who have, they say the bears are thick in that area and the access is good. I will be doing a scouting trip around the end of April and I have heard they will still have lots of snow. I will let you know how it looks. This is a big unit. I will be going in at MacKenzie...Brad

elkdom
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
drive North from PG on hwy 97(Hart hwy) turn left 1 klm before you get to Windy Point gas bar and cafe, get some good Forestry maps, take lots of gas and spare tires,

some nice remote camp sites at Chuchi lake, and good fishing if you have a boat or canoe, dont get caught out in the middle if its storming!

enjoy ,,,,

boatdoc
02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Hunted the Philips lakes area of 7-28 for many years, did not see one grizz.
Was followed by a sow and two cubs once.
Keep in mind i only hunted in the fall,but friends in Mackenzie have hunted the same area for 20 years and claim to have very few grizz also.
So i can't tell you where to go but maybe where not to go.

Don in BC
02-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Have hunted 75 klm west of Mackenzie in the skunk lake area for the last three years and have not seen any grizz. Some sign but very little. Heard of a couple of bears a little further west by porcupine lake. For what it's worth.

30-06
02-19-2010, 08:03 AM
was up there this fall. just past windy point at kennady siding, seen 3 of the *******s in the first morning

moosinaround
02-19-2010, 08:17 AM
was up there this fall. just past windy point at kennady siding, seen 3 of the *******s in the first morning
Kennedy siding in 7-23/7-30? I think you are too far east and north??

I think you need to be looking North of Tchentlo lake, Chuchi lake, Indata lake area. There is access to south facing slope on the rds north of these lakes. There are Grizz up there, and yes you will more than likely find sign of them. They don't hang around and wait to be shot though, you gotta "hunt" the "hunter". Good luck up there! Moosin

Frango
02-19-2010, 09:52 AM
We had a shared moose hunt in 7-28 last year.We hunted mostly around the skunk lake area .We saw no bears of any kind.We did however come upon a sow grizz with a cub way above Porcupine lake.She bolted like crazy when she saw us.We did get 2 immatures but we all commented on the lack of game in the area.

elkdom
02-19-2010, 11:10 AM
We had a shared moose hunt in 7-28 last year.We hunted mostly around the skunk lake area .We saw no bears of any kind.We did however come upon a sow grizz with a cub way above Porcupine lake.She bolted like crazy when she saw us.We did get 2 immatures but we all commented on the lack of game in the area.

truer words never spoken! 35 LEH spring Grizzly authorizations! for Reg 7-28, what a hoax, yeh you "could see a Grizzly" in 7-28, as for chances of 35 Grizz inhabiting there, LMAO! pretty much the same for moose and deer, vast portions of the land there resembles the "moon" barren and logged the piss-out-of,
there are some good lakes with some good fishing, as for spending time and money hunting that area???? not me,,,:neutral:

trapman
02-19-2010, 08:14 PM
thanks for all the info it all helps a lot . There will be 3 of us going and we just bought a HD video camcorder with 32 zoom hope to get it on camera .Thanks again

ThreeFuturehunters
02-19-2010, 08:37 PM
We hunted 7-28 last fall mid sept, we all commented on the lack of any thing moving!! both species of deer with any horns were open, we didn't even see does!! no black bears, 1 sow griz with cubs, she did not hang around. Elk were open, NADA!! we did get moose, but worked hard for what we got.

The only "wildlife" we had was a real late night shooting party that woke us up at 2 in the morning using magnum rifles, not 200 yards from our "hidden" camp. at the 122 km mark of the germansen road.

moosinaround
02-20-2010, 09:09 AM
We hunted 7-28 last fall mid sept, we all commented on the lack of any thing moving!! both species of deer with any horns were open, we didn't even see does!! no black bears, 1 sow griz with cubs, she did not hang around. Elk were open, NADA!! we did get moose, but worked hard for what we got.

The only "wildlife" we had was a real late night shooting party that woke us up at 2 in the morning using magnum rifles, not 200 yards from our "hidden" camp. at the 122 km mark of the germansen road.

Now really, at 2 in the morning you are going to try and tell ME, that they were shooting MAGNUMS???? Does a magnum make a different boom than say a standard 30'06?? Come on why blame a magnum owner when it very well could have been an under gunned standard caliber shooter??!!! Maybe get some more info before you post these types of false allegations!! I happen to be a MAGNUM shooter, and I can tell you with great certainty that you Cannot tell the difference between a wimpy standard caliber and a MAGNUM caliber at 2 in the morning from 200 yrds away!! Moosin

:wink:

Sitkaspruce
02-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Not sure where you guys are hunting, but there is some good areas in 7-28. Forget the Elk as they are just a few of them around, but for moose and a few good bears, they are there.

Trapman, sent you a PM

Cheers

SS