PDA

View Full Version : whats the best bay long chopped etc

cavebear
02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Went out with walker bandit on the weekend top notch guy:-D
max has a long steady bay, his male is a walker with a real chop and his female is very high pitched and choppy. So what is the best bay both for keeping an animal in the tree and for locating?

What do you think?

Kasomor
02-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Went out with walker bandit on the weekend top notch guy:-D
max has a long steady bay, his male is a walker with a real chop and his female is very high pitched and choppy. So what is the best bay both for keeping an animal in the tree and for locating?

What do you think?

Don't know anything about baying...Which is the best and which is not but how would you change the way a dog bays?

Wondering. :)

horshur
02-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Can't say.....a still mouth dog can have some real short chases and apparently is the deal on lynx or bobcat(can't say from expereince)
a loud bawl mouth will give you the shivers working a cold track.
I had a coyote mouthed dog that when she was open she was looking at the cat she was a silent cold trailer.
My Cur had a sharp shepherd bark and when he opened you could go to the bank.
There are turkey mouthed and goose mouthed.
Can't be anyway to qualify what is best.

digger dogger
02-18-2010, 12:06 PM
i have a dog that stays perfectly quiet on bobs & lynx(until treed then he chops), but on big cats he pipes up about once or twice a minute, to let the wrecking crew know which way he's going. i say wrecking crew because of the wrecks the others create with, opening up off trail and confuse the dogs that are actually, trailing.. i have a dog that opens up from the kennel to the truck. she's a great bear dog, but horrible wreck causer for cats.. she will not stay quiet. (very frusterating) she screams, she does not bay.. as long as they're loud it's all good..

SHAKER
02-18-2010, 01:48 PM
My female tree's with a chop bark and runns quiet.
My male Ottis sqwals a little on trail every 2-3 minutes and has the loud thunder bay that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.
My pup Waylon has the prettiest bay you ever heard but who knows how good he is on trail....this winter sucked with zero races attempted. Which is better..... doesn't matter as long as they hold tree and don't go dink'n around. Note I do put bells on my dogs since they do trail quiet untill they get a visual, then look out!

BlacktailStalker
02-18-2010, 05:14 PM
They all 'work'.
If the dogs arent tight tree dogs or hard bay dogs it makes it that much easier for the cat/bear to leave. I've seen tired dogs barely making a peep hold the game in the tree for hours (til we got there) and I've seen 300lb bears drop down in to 10 hounds like they werent there.
Thats what is so great about hounds, every day is different.

My male will let out an occassional bawl when working a tough cat track(mostly if he cant move it and is frustrated) and comes unglued (bawls but more like a roar) at the jump.
On bears he sounds like a yappy coyote, deep double chop locate in to steady chop on tree. Easy to distinguish what he is on.
My female is quiet til the jump then real yippy. Real deep triple locate and continues to chop in 'sets' on tree, extremely accurate trail/locate dog that I am certain will excel on the smaller cats.

Those big long bawls of a cold trailing hound 'defines it' best in my eyes and I am envious of hearing what mine dont do when I get the chance but for the amount of wolves we seem to run in, I'm glad they dont do that, it sure carrys a long ways. I imagine the loudest ones get it first :neutral:
IMO there is NOTHING worse or more annoying than a babble mouth.
I run bells as well but I hike with my hounds a lot so its more to keep tabs on them than as a wolf deterent.

Clint_S
02-18-2010, 05:27 PM
I love a big bawl mouth on a hound but anything you can hear is a bonus.
Here's a bawl and a chop.
http://s677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/Stubby_01/video/?action=view&current=0206-2010.flv

Kasomor
02-18-2010, 11:05 PM
http://s677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/Stubby_01/video/?action=view&current=0206-2010.flv

Thanks for posting the link.

I like your website too.

Regards,
Kasomor

dutchie
02-18-2010, 11:16 PM

The music is awsome!

thanks for the link!

Dutchie

Barracuda
02-18-2010, 11:47 PM
if i can figure out how to load a video i can post my male he sounds like a train.

My female chops and double chops non stop and the wife hounds has a sick chainsaw bawl that isnt that loud but her feet can almost come off the ground with all the effort she puts into he pathetic voice.

i think it is the pressure and intensity that the animal puts into it regardless of the type of bark that keeps the animal in the tree .

Barracuda
02-19-2010, 12:34 PM
[quote=black 'n blue;628889]I have not found this in my experience. When game decides to leave it goes regardless of how many dogs, what intensity, bark, color, breed or size they happen to be.

quote]

Yes and no - if the animal wants to leave it will leave thats a given .

I have approached a tree and watched the bear see my approach and had it drop down and **** off at a high rate completly ignoring the dogs. the animal for the most part decideds if it wants to stay put out of reach, fight, or take flight.

What i was getting at was if a dog has a loud bay or a chop etc it doesnt matter if it doesnt keep pressure on. I would take an enthusiastic dog over over a complacent dog

I also think too much can also panic them to keep going just like when you approach and they bail.

walker(bandit)
02-19-2010, 10:28 PM
props to everyone anyone having any luck on cats this year. seen three bear dens two with bears on the last on was empty.