PDA

View Full Version : Spring Grizz draw help 2010

GoatGuy
02-17-2010, 06:50 PM
If you got a draw and are looking for help or to be pointed in the right direction put it in here.

*Hopefully this can be stickied for the next couple months.

j270wsm
02-18-2010, 07:55 PM
I have been drawn for grizz in 4-23B, It is right in my back yard so finding bears wont be hard, but I am looking for help with bullet selection. I plan on reloading for my dads 300win. I will be using a min of 180gr slugs, but cant decide on which ones to go with. I was wondering if anyone here has shot grizzlies with TSX, accubonds, partitions, gamekings, interbonds, or any of the others that I didnt mention. Thanks for any info

Dirty
02-18-2010, 07:59 PM
We got draws in 6-19A, any advice from guys that have ran a jet boat up the Stikine would be great. Please PM me.

bushguy
02-18-2010, 10:03 PM
We got draws in 6-19A, any advice from guys that have ran a jet boat up the Stikine would be great. Please PM me.

take lots of fuel and full throttle till ya go around the bend and hit Duncan Lake,again full throttle up the Howser,,,,,,should be good up in there:mrgreen:

drivintrucks_shootinbucks
02-18-2010, 11:22 PM
i got drawn in 7-39, and my dad got drawn in 7-23E. We both checked off that we would accept the "pitty draw" and thats what we both got. If anyone knows anything about these areas I would appreciate any help. Please send it in a personal message though as it will be easier for me to find. So far I know where they are and that in 7-39 I have to contact the Tse kay deneh (not sure of spelling) first. I have no clue on access or anything else though. Again all help willd be greatly appreciated.

mikek blacktail
02-19-2010, 02:00 PM
i got a grizz draw my first try in 1-15b and I have know idea how I'm going to get there ??? anybody know of a cheap way

hannibal
02-19-2010, 08:42 PM
NIL again!

pnbrock
02-19-2010, 08:54 PM
i got the 6-16b draw anyone had this draw ?terrain?when do the roads open after the thaw.any advise surely appreciated.thanks Patrick

doyle
02-19-2010, 10:21 PM
i have one in 6-15c. in the nass valley, anyone want to go look for a monster?

pappy
02-20-2010, 03:00 PM
I got a draw for 7-49 and I am making plans now on where to scout for sign, its only about 4-5 hours away. It'll be truck, quad and on foot for me. this will be my first attempt at grizz, so that means lots of practice with the 338 mag and a 30-06 for a back up rifle. good luck to all that have a tag.

landphil
02-20-2010, 03:07 PM
I got a draw for 7-49 and I am making plans now on where to scout for sign, its only about 4-5 hours away. It'll be truck, quad and on foot for me. this will be my first attempt at grizz, so that means lots of practice with the 338 mag and a 30-06 for a back up rifle. good luck to all that have a tag.

Ok, are you flying in or do you no longer live in Duncan? :confused: 4-5 hours gets you on the big side of the ferry with waits, if yer drivin.:confused:

moosinaround
02-20-2010, 03:19 PM
i got drawn in 7-39, and my dad got drawn in 7-23E. We both checked off that we would accept the "pitty draw" and thats what we both got. If anyone knows anything about these areas I would appreciate any help. Please send it in a personal message though as it will be easier for me to find. So far I know where they are and that in 7-39 I have to contact the Tse kay deneh (not sure of spelling) first. I have no clue on access or anything else though. Again all help willd be greatly appreciated.
No ATV's so you will have to hoof it!! Lots of bears up that way though! Good luck!

BromBones
02-20-2010, 06:50 PM
in 7-39 I have to contact the Tse kay deneh (not sure of spelling) first.

Wouldn't worry about that. I says for environmental and safety concerns, right? Not gonna get into it, but they need to educate their own on environment and safety practices before making a request like that.

7-39 is nice, some good open country to glass. That Kemess road can be a bugger in the spring for washboard. Take lots of spare tires & fuel. Getting a radio with the channels for the Kemess guys would be smart - those ore trucks giv'er and there are some bad blind corners/hills where you wouldn't wanna meet one.

kayjayess
02-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi guys,

Planning 2 weeks for 7-38. I was drawn here last year also but did not connect with the late spring and the poor alignment of my holidays. I took my holidays two weeks later this year so will be up from the 24th to the 7th. A number of you provided me with great info last year. Thanks for that. Any more to add would be greatly appreciated. Also for anyone drawn in 7-38 let me know so we can keep an eye out for each other during the last week of May early June.

Cheers
Kayjayess

rgv
02-21-2010, 08:50 AM

I've done it, as well as the Pitmann, but never in spring. I'd think you'd hit some interesting day/day variations with the water. I'm pretty sure the Tanzilla loop is part of 6-19A and is always full of bears.

rgv
02-21-2010, 09:04 AM
i got the 6-16b draw anyone had this draw ?terrain?when do the roads open after the thaw.any advise surely appreciated.thanks Patrick

Most roads are typically blocked by snow patches right past May, this year you may be in luck I heard the Kinskuch road is supposed to get plowed. The main roads through the Nass and toward Kitsault will be open but you'll just be hunting cut-blocks.

Otherwise you're stuck flying in. Illiance river is full of bears but tough hunting. Flying into Kinskuch or Jade Lake would be good too, always full of bears in June.

Sitkaspruce
02-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Instead of checking in all the time, I will offer up any help for 7-14, 7-25, 7-26, 7-27, 7-28 and 7-38 for bears.

PM me for any info.

Cheers

SS

BCrams
02-21-2010, 11:33 AM
I can offer up help for those who get the 7-05, 7-17, 7-18 spring grizzly draws.

358mag
02-21-2010, 11:50 AM
If you got a draw and are looking for help or to be pointed in the right direction put it in here.

*Hopefully this can be stickied for the next couple months.
So did you get a grizzy draw too ???????
Were all having that NIL soup again this year

doyle
02-21-2010, 07:19 PM
anyone have any info on 6-15 c

BromBones
02-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Might as well add -

Will try to help out anyone hunting 6-4, 6-19, 6-20, 6-30, 7-38. Have taken bears in all those except 6-19.

Cheers

'Brom Bones'

4570hunter
02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Can anyone help on 4-37 the closest I've been to that area is Castlegar

First timer on grizz thinking if using a bow but maybe I should get a gun or a buddy with one

Thoughts?

240gord
02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I got a draw 1-14a,looks like a boat ride.Buddy has 1-14b.New country to see,will have to get maps and charts.
Gord.

Maxx
02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
I got a draw 1-14a,looks like a boat ride.Buddy has 1-14b.New country to see,will have to get maps and charts.
Gord.

You should call the CO for that area, I seem to remember the Cambell river guys look after that area. I had a freind get that tag, only for the RCMP to call 3 weeks before the hunt saying that the local indians had made some threats and the RCMP suggested that he not go. Just an FYI

pupper
02-23-2010, 11:17 PM
I just got my notice today, successful draw for Grizzly:

5-8 C April 1- June 10.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Wally
02-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Hey Guys,
So I put in with a buddy for spring grizzly and got a draw for 4-31 (Nakusp). I hunted goat there in the fall so I know the area a bit. Mostly up the Kluskanucks. Buddy went back to Halfway creek and got a goat but I didn't go that weekend. Just saw the headwaters from the Alpine.

Anyway, now I'm not sure if he's gonna be around for the first month or so of the season and I've never hunted bear before. Not successfully anyway.

From what I hear they like the bottoms of the slides on the south facing slopes and the best time to go is last week in April while the visibility is still good.

Anyway, just lookin' for thoughts and advice.

Oh, and since I know everyone is going to ask, my biggest cannon is a .308 with a 20" pipe. Was told 165grn TSX bullets would make for a nice load.

(Sorry about the one post status... I do most of my posting on CGN)

02-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Can anyone help on 4-37 the closest I've been to that area is Castlegar

First timer on grizz thinking if using a bow but maybe I should get a gun or a buddy with one

Thoughts?
You'll need a boat.

shaner338
02-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Has anyone been to 5-15b in the last few years, Quesnel Lake North or East arm? I have talked to some folks in the area and they believe the bridges have been pulled on the fsr's.
Also wondering if there have been any issues with leaving boats at docks for days as we are quading then packing into the alpine.
Not affraid to explore on my own and will most likely do a recon trip early April.....:-D:-D....BUT....
Any and all info appreciated...:-D
Thanks in advance,
Shane

300ultramag
02-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Wouldn't worry about that. I says for environmental and safety concerns, right? Not gonna get into it, but they need to educate their own on environment and safety practices before making a request like that.

7-39 is nice, some good open country to glass. That Kemess road can be a bugger in the spring for washboard. Take lots of spare tires & fuel. Getting a radio with the channels for the Kemess guys would be smart - those ore trucks giv'er and there are some bad blind corners/hills where you wouldn't wanna meet one.
agreed the most terrible road i have ever been on .. keep you stuff locked up tight that native band cleaned us out one afternoon ,....

swampthing
02-27-2010, 10:18 AM
I too have the 7-39 draw and am going solo. Do the natives hang out in there in the spring? I would hate to have a trip ruined over a fight or being robbed.

300ultramag
02-27-2010, 11:58 AM
yes apparently they are a problem all the time, thats what a fella from makenzie told me ,, i know one thig i will never go back ...

I too have the 7-39 draw and am going solo. Do the natives hang out in there in the spring? I would hate to have a trip ruined over a fight or being robbed.

Mik
02-27-2010, 12:11 PM
yes apparently they are a problem all the time, thats what a fella from makenzie told me ,, i know one thig i will never go back ...
We hunted past the Kemess Mine Site for three years in a row in the fall and never had a problem. Maybe spring time is different??
Don't mean to hijack the thread but it seems the Indians are all having issues lately.... Kinda like a wildfire????

kayjayess
02-27-2010, 12:19 PM
I will be in 7-38. I was drawn there last spring with my buddy for Grizz in the same area. I ended up not making it up with the late spring and my holidays not coinciding. My buddy went for a week and shot a book black. He had no run ins with the locals. No problems what so ever. Very little traffic/pressure at that time. Of course there were the trucks from the mine but that was basically it. The roads (at least the main road) was clear and in really good shape. Did not need to use the spare. Gas was an issue. He took a number of jerry cans and more were required. Had to run back to Germansen landing every 2nd day for fuel.

We will be up there this spring from the 24th to the 6th.

Thanks to Sitka for the info - very much appreciated!

Wally
02-28-2010, 03:46 AM
God damn it... I will hunt these things all day without thinking twice but at night... I shudder at the idea of hungry spring grizzlies walking around my tent..... Maybe it's because of some of the reading I've done on HBC.

Anyway, me and my .308 are heading into 4-31, with or without help.........

moosinaround
02-28-2010, 07:40 AM
God damn it... I will hunt these things all day without thinking twice but at night... I shudder at the idea of hungry spring grizzlies walking around my tent..... Maybe it's because of some of the reading I've done on HBC.

Anyway, me and my .308 are heading into 4-31, with or without help.........
.308 winchester, or .308 caliber in a large capacity cartridge?? I sure hope you are a very good shot, and Don't pack tuna sandwiches!!

NaStY
02-28-2010, 02:46 PM
No point in starting a he said she said.

Lets keep this thread on topic please.....

Wally
02-28-2010, 08:01 PM
.308 winchester, or .308 caliber in a large capacity cartridge?? I sure hope you are a very good shot, and Don't pack tuna sandwiches!!
.308 Winchester. I don't think it takes a howitzer to kill a grizzly. Back in the '30s, when S&W introduced the .357 Magnum it was used, quite successfully to hunt grizz.

EvanG
02-28-2010, 09:41 PM
dont forget clayton mack and his old 30-30

srupp
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
If anyone has LEHS for Region 5....especially 5-15 and the coatal bear hunts 5-08 A -b-c...

Please feel free to contact me by PM...and include a ph # and I will call and do my best to help out.
congradulations to all the successful grizzly bear hunters

Steven Rupp

bushguy
03-01-2010, 09:30 PM
If anyone has LEHS for Region 5....especially 5-15 and the coatal bear hunts 5-08 A -b-c...

Please feel free to contact me by PM...and include a ph # and I will call and do my best to help out.

Steven Rupp

Hey man good to see ur back!

Blainer
03-01-2010, 10:29 PM

Steven RuppAtta Boy!Hope all is well.

4570hunter
03-01-2010, 11:59 PM
You'll need a boat.

If I need a boat then I am done like dinner. I got no boat I didn't even pick the area to hunt I wanted 4-08. Perhaps another wasted draw tag. However I have heard there are big monsters there.....

358mag
03-02-2010, 10:52 PM

Steven Rupp
Welcome back Steve hope everything worked out

.330 Dakota
03-04-2010, 06:48 PM
7-28 Mackenzie and in. Anybody got info on that area? Indians, circle the powerwagons? Any bears?

shaner338
03-04-2010, 07:44 PM
7-28 Mackenzie and in. Anybody got info on that area? Indians, circle the powerwagons? Any bears?

Check Sitka Spruce, I believed he offered help with that one!! Look on the 2nd page of this thread!:wink:

.330 Dakota
03-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks Shaner

chinookkiller
03-06-2010, 08:45 PM

last spring been here 7 days,a few games exist,just saw 3 sow and cubs,small and young.
east side of the zone have more chance than west.

Slee
03-06-2010, 10:21 PM
If I need a boat then I am done like dinner. I got no boat I didn't even pick the area to hunt I wanted 4-08. Perhaps another wasted draw tag. However I have heard there are big monsters there.....

There are no grizz draws for 4-08????? :confused:

ruff
03-06-2010, 11:28 PM
I got my first grizz tag for 5 15 B , exelent.Never bin, but know it can be good.I have a small dirt bike i thought i might boat across and use if helpful. Any other info would be a bonus.

moosechaserpg
03-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Has anyone been up to 7-40 I got a left over draw up there. hopefully the area pan out ok ill have to have a week to scope out

moosinaround
03-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Has anyone been up to 7-40 I got a left over draw up there. hopefully the area pan out ok ill have to have a week to scope out
Lots of info on the Tsey keh and Fort Ware area, do a search with those name as tags and you will find LOTS of stuff. Moosin

srupp
03-14-2010, 03:26 PM
UPDATE :

To those that phoned and e-mailed..I WILL be in touch...I am still not in good health and can only deal with 2 calls each day regarding Grizzly..

However I will answer each and everyone that I promised for the Cariboo Mts and coastal areas..Bella Coola, Kwatna etc.

I will again be back in hospital away from Williams Lake March 16th, 2010 for more invasive testing .

coastal Leh winners less than 60 days....interior winners 80 days yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

oops

srr

red dragon
03-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Got my draw up 7-23-D any help would be great?

Beardy
03-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Good luck with all the testing srupp!

.330 Dakota
03-15-2010, 08:24 AM
.308 Winchester. I don't think it takes a howitzer to kill a grizzly. Back in the '30s, when S&W introduced the .357 Magnum it was used, quite successfully to hunt grizz.

We only heard the sucess stories from the guys that made it back lol
Dead men dont talk

BiG Boar
03-15-2010, 08:29 AM
.308 Winchester seems a tad smaller than I would like if it is a close encounter. Ever had a grizzly run at ya? Made my 416 rem mag feel small.

.330 Dakota
03-15-2010, 08:42 AM
.308 Winchester seems a tad smaller than I would like if it is a close encounter. Ever had a grizzly run at ya? Made my 416 rem mag feel small.

I used to shoot a 416 Remmy, Doesnt that "I wish I had more gun feeling" just make your guts swim?

GoatGuy
03-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Ever had a grizzly run at ya? Made my 416 rem mag feel small.

You can always use more gun with a grizzly bar trying to chew on ya.

sean laxton
03-21-2010, 08:21 AM
good luck Steve keep the chin up,and stay strong!

bruin
03-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Does anyone have any info on 3-44 Lampier Cr/N. Thompson. A friend of mine got the draw and is a first time grizz hunter. Looking for access info and conditions/timing info. Thanks.

Ike
03-22-2010, 03:59 PM
For real time information and updates on what is happening in 5-08 you can give me a shout as well, although srupp pretty much covers things off :)

Cheers

BromBones
03-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Here's a link for the guys hunting grizz where the snow levels might be an issue for you -

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/rfc/bulletins/watersupply/index.htm

mfarrally
03-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Hey if anyone has any info on the 7-23 area give me a Pm. I really appreciate it
MF

srupp
03-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Hi Ike...GREAT to see you post once in a while..:mrgreen:

could you please do a live update of the coastal snow conditions...a couple of members are headed in for G bear..up the Dean area..I felt that the first week of May would be a good choice...

Bigbore 14 was one of the lucky gentlemen who has such a draw..

cheers
Steven

Ike
03-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi Ike...GREAT to see you post once in a while..:mrgreen:

could you please do a live update of the coastal snow conditions...a couple of members are headed in for G bear..up the Dean area..I felt that the first week of May would be a good choice...

Bigbore 14 was one of the lucky gentlemen who has such a draw..

cheers
Steven

Good to see you back Steve,
Unfortunately I haven't been out and about into the Dean area lately but in the valley we are into spring. There is virtually no snow on the valley bottom logging roads, the flying vampires are out in force and the skunk cabbage is about a foot high. We are gettin some rain which is translating to some snow on the mountains at about a couple thousand feet(?). (The heliskiers are loving it)

Haven't seen any bears out yet but I am trying to get a better look into Talchako, Saloompt and Macall flats this weekend hopefully to see something big and hairy.
Hope that helps, let me know if you need mroe specific info.

srupp
03-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Let me know about Mcall especially..have ONE hunter that got that BC draw...

Those that have the draw for 5:15..the snow is going FAST down along the creeks and rivers going into Quesnel lake...THE SNOW DOESNT GET DEEP UNTIL 4500 feet..

may be a earlier season than ever before...

steven

grizlygurl
03-28-2010, 07:13 PM
I will come with if you need help

pnbrock
03-28-2010, 07:20 PM
still nothing for 6-16b?any help appreciated.thanks Patrick

LionsHead
03-31-2010, 09:26 AM
I got a draw for 4-17a lemon creek to the wilson lakes by nakusp.............any tips out there

moosinaround
04-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Got my draw up 7-23-D any help would be great?

Hey if anyone has any info on the 7-23 area give me a Pm. I really appreciate it
MF

I am in the same boat as these fellows. Thanks in advance, Moosin

.330 Dakota
04-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Has anybody else got a draw for 7-28 ?

srupp
04-03-2010, 11:03 PM
If I have NOT contacted "you" in regards to coastal or region 5 LEH grizzlies..and you have contacted me PLEASE send me a PM..

Everyone seems settled away with maps and information..just not wanting to miss anyone..

srr

BiG Boar
04-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Time to shoot a big grizz. This is the year. 350 grizzlies
live in my area. This year it will be 348! Can you taste it?

Blainer
04-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Time to shoot a big grizz. This is the year. 350 grizzlies
live in my area. This year it will be 348! Can you taste it?David Sazuki says there are only 35 in that area:confused:
Good luck!:-D

merc
04-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I was drawn in 5-8 zone B. any one have any info

.330 Dakota
04-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Come on guys ya cant tell me I have the only tag in 7-28.,..anybody?

shaner338
04-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Come on guys ya cant tell me I have the only tag in 7-28.,..anybody?
I had that draw for the fall about 12 years ago.
I was hunting Chuchi lk for moose mostly, got that but never seen a grizz.
I did see a few sets of tracks but nobody in them.
Wish I could be more help.

.330 Dakota
04-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Well, thanks anyways Shaner, I am headed up for a scouting trip in the beginning of May and then the plan is to hunt the last week of May.
Just thought I might see some other hunters up there and it might be nice to know who they are..

lemonlk.mechanical
04-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I live in the5-2b area and I'm pretty good in the 15-15b area if anyone is intrested in company or direction for a day or 2. you can reach me at 250-620-3777.

srupp
04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
hmmm will be in Lemon Lake area next week looking for blackies..

cheers

Srupp

Williams Lake

Stone Sheep Steve
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Headed off to the W Koots with Calvin last weekend as we had heard the melt was quite a bit ahead of the norm. It was at the lower elevations but was still winter with any kind of gain in elevation. Slides had not yet let go.
Backpacked in ~10 kms was more than enough for these two old timers.:?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Grizz_Hunt_1_2010_021.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18713)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Grizz_Hunt_1_2010_011.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18714)

Will hopefully be heading back in 3 more weeks.

SSS

.330 Dakota
04-08-2010, 04:28 PM
hmmm will be in Lemon Lake area next week looking for blackies..

cheers

Srupp

Williams Lake

Where is Lemon Lake?

mfarrally
04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Where is Lemon Lake?

5-02 B

MF

.330 Dakota
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks, just curious

fishkiller
04-08-2010, 05:05 PM
thu head of knights iv been going in there off and on for thu last 35 years you need to take a decent size boat a quad to get up thu valley it takes me about 8 hours at 8.5 knots from portmcneil in my boat

fishkiller
04-08-2010, 05:12 PM
i got a grizz draw my first try in 1-15b and I have know idea how I'm going to get there ??? anybody know of a cheap way
no cheap way cost me 1000.00 in fuel return

pappy
04-08-2010, 05:19 PM
anyone know what the snow report is around fort nelson, and what the back road conditions are? road bans?

srupp
04-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Stone Sheep Steve..AMAZING PHOTOS..thanks Bro for sharing..

2 grizzly hunters stopped by yesterday en route to Bella Coola for 2 weeks to hunt the G bear..lucky folks..

good luck to ALL those Grizzly hunters...straight shooting

Steven

lone wolf
04-09-2010, 02:40 AM
I got a draw in 5-15 A . This will be my first grizz . Awaiting for the snow to leave the area as they are still sledding there . Need to borrow a 7 mm as my 270 would be a little lite . Talked to C O and he says to anchor it . What does he mean ?

lone wolf
04-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Been looking around this site and am supposed to tell a joke A man has a stutter problem and after talking to his wife about getting the problem fixed they both agree he should see a doctor. He makes the app and says doc IIiI hhhaaavvve a sstttuutter ppprrroobllem aannd wwould llllike tto get it fffixed and the doc says well lets take a look . Can you get undressed and I will check you out . The guy gets undressed and the doc looks and sees the size of his problem and says there is your problem right there if i cut a few inches off you will speak just fine . The man says Ii WWwiiilll hhhaavvee ttttoo ttttttlk tto mmy wiffe . He goes home and talks to the wife and she is a little unsure as their sex life is great. They talk some more amd it meant a lot more to have him speak a little clearer . And what is a few inches . So he had the surgery and sure enough his stutter went away . a couple weeks went on and his wife wasn,t getting satisfied . They talked and he went back to the doc and said my stutter is gone , but my wife is dissatisfied and i was wondeing if you can reverse the procedure . The doc said IIIII DDDooonn,t Thhhhiinnnkk II cann

.330 Dakota
04-09-2010, 06:55 AM
I got a draw in 5-15 A . This will be my first grizz . Awaiting for the snow to leave the area as they are still sledding there . Need to borrow a 7 mm as my 270 would be a little lite . Talked to C O and he says to anchor it . What does he mean ?

I would assume, "anchor it" means kill it before you piss it off.
Through both front shoulders is my motto

.330 Dakota
04-09-2010, 06:58 AM

Hey Lone Wolf, I have hunted Griz in 5-15A and know the area very well.
If you need help I would be more than willing to give a hand showing you the country.
I do know where to find a nice boar. I found him last spring 1 day after closing, dammit. I live about 40 minutes from this area...

srupp
04-09-2010, 09:20 AM
hmmm I guided for grizzly in that region....and have helped others get their G bear in that area also...a "lot of others"

There are others with the SAME draw that I have been "chatting with ":wink:

Area does have some GREAT bears and a couple of real honey holes...

Its not THE best area in the Cariboo Mts for G bear but there are a LOT worse places to go chase a bruin.

Anchor means what I have advocated for years..shoot broadside and take out the shoulder driving the broken bones through the lungs..the shoulder shot drops the bear instantly..sometimes they do try and get up..and sometimes even succcessful...

Although the snow is still there it HAS SLID...and THAT is every mountain hunter for grizzlies dream scenario...it is going to be a wickedly successful year for G bears.

As for 330 Dakota..dont know the Gentleman..HOWEVER he does have a point..bears "learn" and are imprinted..by their mother and by example..so that same bear he saw last year will most likely be in a close by area this year if not pushed, disturbed or killed..

Hmmm if you are going to borrow a 7mm mag..get some practice in with it..2 boxes is not too little...although I have shot a G bear with a .270 it is NOT an ideal caliber..

If you want any extra "tips "on the area please PM me and send a PH # where you can be contacted...pitter patter..its getting late in the preliminary time frame..

steven

luckynuts
04-10-2010, 11:17 AM
[If you want any extra "tips "on the area please PM me and send a PH # where you can be contacted...pitter patter..its getting late in the preliminary time frame..

steven[/quote]

Steve you are top notch! Helping everyone they way you do. glad to see you are still posting had us all a little worried a few weeks ago.

W.

g_worsnop
04-10-2010, 11:39 AM
any tips for 4-16 grizz draw????

srupp
04-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Hmmm still really sick..waiting for the latest test results however there are G bear hunters that I could help so doing the best I can..I enjoy helping folks..always have..

Lol the 2 gentlemen DID stop by for a few hours and I did my best...had to comment about bringing ones 90 year old Dad along as "backup" :eek:..

However he IS a very young 90 and a avid hunter..and I have heard through sources they are indeed saftely snuggled in , somewhere in the Bella Coola Valley..a very specific somewhere...oh ya THEN it SNOWED another 4 inches..:mrgreen:..

cheers

Steven

red dragon
04-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi all anyone with info on area 7-23 d , hows the roads and access to the mountain ranges maybe info on bridges would be a great help headed out may for some recon anyways .PM any time thanks .

City Slicker
04-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi Guys 6-24 Advice

I have the draw for 6-24 and would like an update if the snow has melted enough to drive an ATV on the trails and how much snow is left on those sunny south slopes? Any one live up there that can let me know would be great.

I also would like to fly a friend in from Smithers to Dease, anyone know a charter service?:-D

City Slicker
04-20-2010, 10:55 AM
6-24 Grizz Hunt - One last question, if you were to guess when the snow will be melted enought to have ATV access, what would you bet? North of Dease.

BCbillies
04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
6-24 Grizz Hunt - One last question, if you were to guess when the snow will be melted enought to have ATV access, what would you bet? North of Dease.

May 3rd to 5th? A quad with tracks is the ticket for spring grizz hunting!

I just checked out the Dease Lake Web cam and I am surprised how little snow is showing.

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/151.html

Give the Lakes District Maintenance Yard a call in Dease (toll free at 1-888-255-8055).

.330 Dakota
04-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Just got back from scouting 7-28 north of Fort St James, Still lots of snow 200km north of town near the Takla road and about 2-3 feet of snow on the slides near the Germansen turnoff. I am guessing 2nd week into 3rd week of May is the time to hunt up there.

DevilDog77
04-24-2010, 07:56 AM
drawn in 7-20...heading up first week in May, starting to get excited!

srupp
05-07-2010, 04:49 PM
bear hunters starting to come through and show their successes..:eek:

I have already had 3 grizzly hunters show me their sucessful g bear hunts.. and WOWZERS...enuff said..:mrgreen:

Many more are headed out starting 'soon"...
2 other sets of hunters headed back in for second go @ the beasts..

some interesting reading coming this way.lol:wink:

steven

pupper
05-07-2010, 04:55 PM
bear hunters starting to come through and show their successes..:eek:

I have already had 3 grizzly hunters show me their sucessful g bear hunts.. and WOWZERS...enuff said..:mrgreen:

Many more are headed out starting 'soon"...
2 other sets of hunters headed back in for second go @ the beasts..

some interesting reading coming this way.lol:wink:

steven

wow, who got one?

srupp
05-07-2010, 05:04 PM
hmmmm.... some very hard working...diligent and may I say tenacious individuals...now so far..an absolutely stunning bear...an amazing colored specimen...and a true GRONK....all wonderful trophies of a lifetime..the hunters will post their successes..in their own way and time..hmmm maybe even photos..

Steven

trapman
05-09-2010, 09:52 AM
hi Srupp leaving in the morning to 7-28 any last info or suggestions Thanks

VicP
05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Instead of checking in all the time, I will offer up any help for 7-14, 7-25, 7-26, 7-27, 7-28 and 7-38 for bears.

PM me for any info.

Cheers

SS

Looking to go into 7-38 in the fall if I am so lucky as to get a griz LEH. Any ideas where a good site would be to set up camp?

Thanks for all or any input....

kayjayess
05-16-2010, 07:17 PM
VicP,

My buddies hunted Grizz there last spring. I am going to be up there for 2 weeks starting the 24th. Once I get back, touch base with me and I will let you know where we camped.

Cheers
KayJayEss

VicP
05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
VicP,

My buddies hunted Grizz there last spring. I am going to be up there for 2 weeks starting the 24th. Once I get back, touch base with me and I will let you know where we camped.

Cheers
KayJayEss

Sounds good, all the best on your trip.....

Cheers Vic

kayjayess
05-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Congrats to all of you have that have anchored some beauty trophies to date this spring. Trapman's hog has me vibrating for our trip up to 7-38. We are taking off this weekend (4 more sleeps - LOL) and thought I would put my hand up seeking any condition updates for the area. We will be up in the zone until the 6th of June with 2 grizz tags and 2 back up tags for blacks in case the brown ones are hard to find.

I will be driving a new model GM crew cab - black in color. Look forward to running into any HBCers out there. Good luck and will update you with our journey when we return. Thanks to all who have passed along your comments and feedback for a successful journey to date.

KayJayEss

Derp
05-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

I have a draw in 4-26 for Grizz. I made one 4 day hunting trip up there 2 weeks ago and covered alot of ground with my friend but we were unsuccessfull. There is still alot of snow up higher and are going again at the end of may for our 2nd and final try.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Alex

Sitkaspruce
05-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Looking to go into 7-38 in the fall if I am so lucky as to get a griz LEH. Any ideas where a good site would be to set up camp?

Thanks for all or any input....

Vic

Sent you a PM.

get back to me at my email addy.

Cheers

SS

srupp
05-19-2010, 02:38 PM
another E-MAIL from another successful G bear hunters in CARIBOO mts...

they saw lots of blacks and LOTS OF GRIZZ AND HARVESTED A GOOD MTN GRIZZ..

yippeeee

Steven

GoatGuy
05-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Hi all,

I have a draw in 4-26 for Grizz. I made one 4 day hunting trip up there 2 weeks ago and covered alot of ground with my friend but we were unsuccessfull. There is still alot of snow up higher and are going again at the end of may for our 2nd and final try.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Alex

Glass the slides until dark. Don't cover a lot of ground. There's plenty of g bears in that country.

Send Bayou a PM, he might know of a couple bears.

srupp
05-29-2010, 08:52 PM
hmm another 5-15 success story and another coastal success story..some great reading coming up..well done guys..

steven

red dragon
05-29-2010, 09:58 PM
New to G-Bear hunting .Where to look is covering more ground better or glass the same areas ,are cut blocks a good place to start ? When do they start roaming for mates ,do they keep there winter coats till june 15 or will there be patches missing ?Any useful info is always welcome thanks .

srupp
06-03-2010, 10:17 PM
1) start with south facing slides, next is cut blocks..the sun gets in there and starts growthe arly..third is lowere along water courses..streams rivers...FOOD and GREEN..is the key..

2)June is mating month

3)dependsa on each year so far most of Cariboo mts bears hides are still pretty good..most years its good up till the 15th for hides.

4) coastal bears are much different be there much earlier,,start of june hides are thrashed..pretty much

cheers
Steven

Brett
06-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Well one last push is all work will allow, so the lovely wife and I are heading out! wish us luck! I'd at least like to see one :)

Brett
06-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Well,, we saw one. On our way in I was rushing to get into the spot I wanted to stay. There are views of slides , some nice open blocks, the river, a creek and it's 100km from the front end. Anyway, we come to a spot where I thought would be good to camp and I say to the wife we can camp here? Putting us about 700-1000m away from the creek in the drainage I wanted to be near. Then I said oh lets go over the other side of the creek (cause the wind was at our backs heading for that drainage and creek. Over 2 small hills up to the top of the third looking down at the bridge and there he was, standing on the road looking at us, before I had the brake on, he turned and HAULED ass over the block and into the thick stuff. He was BIG. We camped near the "Camper" for those who know the area. The next day we went on a few walks probably put on 10km. hat bear had walked the road for about 2-3km by the time we had seen him, over the missinnka, up a switchback and around to the creek, His front paws (in dust on the bridge) measured just over 8" wide and his claws were 2 1/2" from the front of his toes, FACK!!!!! I SHOULD HAVE CAMPED IN THE FIRST SPOT!! Had a good time and Friday night she was packed guys everywhere on quads, campers, trucks , what a joke! Till next time :)

moosinaround
06-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Well,, we saw one. On our way in I was rushing to get into the spot I wanted to stay. There are views of slides , some nice open blocks, the river, a creek and it's 100km from the front end. Anyway, we come to a spot where I thought would be good to camp and I say to the wife we can camp here? Putting us about 700-1000m away from the creek in the drainage I wanted to be near. Then I said oh lets go over the other side of the creek (cause the wind was at our backs heading for that drainage and creek. Over 2 small hills up to the top of the third looking down at the bridge and there he was, standing on the road looking at us, before I had the brake on, he turned and HAULED ass over the block and into the thick stuff. He was BIG. We camped near the "Camper" for those who know the area. The next day we went on a few walks probably put on 10km. hat bear had walked the road for about 2-3km by the time we had seen him, over the missinnka, up a switchback and around to the creek, His front paws (in dust on the bridge) measured just over 8" wide and his claws were 2 1/2" from the front of his toes, FACK!!!!! I SHOULD HAVE CAMPED IN THE FIRST SPOT!! Had a good time and Friday night she was packed guys everywhere on quads, campers, trucks , what a joke! Till next time :)
Well thats hunting!! At least you seen a nice one! I have druled over that area for years, and have never drawn a Grizz tag there. We will continue to hunt it for blackies though, as "Pumpkin Head" is still alive!! Betcha you will not forget that mountain Grizz viewing eh?? Awesome, it was a fun spring, Bug and I were glad we made it out a few times with ya! Bring on the elk, and moose, and sheep next year for me!!! Moosin