PDA

View Full Version : So you've got your dream animal...now what?

02-16-2010, 10:48 PM
I have yet to get a trophy animal because I have been more of a meat hunter, however I would like a bear rug (with the meat too), or a nice deer up on the wall etc.

There must be some real obvious steps in the field while dressing it up prior to taking it to the taxi. Can anyone tell me what the basics would be so that a taxi doesn't ask how I managed to to screw it up royally?

little moose
02-16-2010, 11:06 PM
if its a local animal let the taxi cape it . when you shoot a meat buck pratice caping on that

Bear Chaser
02-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Best advise I could give would be go talk to a taxidermist or several & ask how they would like the animal to be skinned. Pay attention & ask lots of questions. Take notes. Most taxidermists love being able to give lessons before they receive a ruined hide or cape.

If you've never fleshed a hide or cape before why not practice on your next meat animal. Shoot some small game animals and practice turning the lips and ears on an animal other than the potential trophy of a lifetime.

02-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Best advise I could give would be go talk to a taxidermist or several & ask how they would like the animal to be skinned. Pay attention & ask lots of questions. Take notes. Most taxidermists love being able to give lessons before they receive a ruined hide or cape.

If you've never fleshed a hide or cape before why not practice on your next meat animal. Shoot some small game animals and practice turning the lips and ears on an animal other than the potential trophy of a lifetime.

Thats what I was thinking I probably need to do.

Dukeoflawnchair
02-16-2010, 11:26 PM
http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/blbcare.htm

This was a pretty good guide that I was directed to when I won the grizz draw.

Other really good advice that I was given...

-> Relax and take your time...really.
-> Don't hesitate to take a brake and think your cutting strategy through.
-> Have a good tarp set-up...keeping things clean helps plenty.

02-16-2010, 11:28 PM
http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/blbcare.htm

This was a pretty good guide that I was directed to when I won the grizz draw.

Other really good advice that I was given...

-> Relax and take your time...really.
-> Don't hesitate to take a brake and think your cutting strategy through.
-> Have a good tarp set-up...keeping things clean helps plenty.

Okee dokee...me thinks I will be trying a rabbit or 2 first.....:mrgreen:

bridger
02-17-2010, 03:10 AM
lots of good video's around

hunter1947
02-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Let the Taxidermy cape out your head ,what I do if I want a head mount done is when I skin out the animal I make sure I start 6 inches behind the shoulders do a complet circle from this point and then skin up from there to the back of the head then its all taxidermy caping from there on.

If it is real hot weather get the head into the cooler ASAP so it won't go bad on you ,if it is cold in the day time +4 and night +0 then you don't have to worry about it till you get home to the Taxidermy..

LYKTOHUNT
02-17-2010, 09:18 AM
If like you say you are a meat hunter you most likely rush up and slit the throat. Dont do that the taxi will scorn you for that (been there done that)they can fix it but you do not need to cut the throat.
As far as instructions for the cape I found an article in a hunting magazine that showed a simple diagram for skinning the animal for a shoulder mount and I just took the head and cape to the taxi to deal with.