PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler Rigde moose hunting???

talver
03-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Has anyone hunted in this area? I dont wanna drive all the way up to Fort nelson fearing the price of fuel. Heard there is a rut closure but I thend to have more luck calling bulls before the rut gets in to full swing so I dont mind the closure. Was thinkin of going about the 20th of sept. Any info on this would be great thanks

bwhnter
03-01-2006, 10:24 AM
I have worked south of Tumbler before and there are alot off moose in there but it can be really thick and steep. When I was working in there the logging truck drivers were talking about a huge bull that was hanging out by one of the lakes. There are also alot of gizz in there so keep watch. As for the closed season during the rut it runs from Oct 1 - 15 but alot of places it is open for the bow. What area are you thinking of going to.

mainland hunter
03-01-2006, 10:26 AM
just stay clear of the bull moose mountain area/ burnt river. we use to hunt there but theres so much work going on in there its hard to find decent hunting now. it use to be a pretty good area in there

bigwhiteys
03-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Why would you drive all the way to Fort Nelson for Moose? If you want to go that far you may as well go up past the Liard to a little honey hole that only a few know about. It's a marked road but very rarely travelled. Lots of nice moose in there.

But you shouldn't need to go that far there is ample Moose in the Ft. St. John and surrounding area unless you want to drive that extra distance.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

bwhnter
03-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Shhh not so loud !!! Just kidding there are alot of moose in the FSJ area and every year the oil companies are extending roads further back into the "hard" to reach areas. Also the antler restrictions that were implemented years ago seem to be helping the population quite a bit. In one 5 acre feild this past oct there were 35 moose 3 of which were legal mature bulls and another 6 that were not legal.

PGKris
03-01-2006, 12:57 PM
The antler restrictions also stop a lot of hunters from going there because by the time you're done counting tines the moose is long gone :roll: Yay for our screwy regulations

bwhnter
03-01-2006, 01:43 PM
I found that the more moose you look the easier it gets to judge wether they are legal or not. At first I was also anoyed with counting tines but you have to count tines on elk and deer and if you ask me judging wether a sheep is legal or not is alot harder as well. Most of the people that really hate the rule are the people who road hunt or drive around on their quads because as you stated earlier by the time you are done counting points they are long gone.

PGKris
03-01-2006, 03:09 PM
4 and 6 are a lot easier to count on deer and elk than 10 is on a palmated big bull! I stand hunt. And I try not to hunt in 7B. Too many ignorants camped up there.

Fred
03-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Last season Ex and I were told by a resident of Dawson the the Sukunka R. region was supposed to pretty good. Fred

talver
03-02-2006, 12:34 AM
thinkg of the moose lake area

CanuckShooter
03-02-2006, 07:34 AM
We hunt up there every August...here is what I can tell you.

Sukunka: Tried it twice..not impressed?? It was always reported as a good area but we didn't see much.

Del Rio / Stuart Lake: Overrun with hunters..left the area..unsafe..and rude people sometimes.

East side of Murray River Rainey Creek to Puggins Mountain: Lots of industrial activity> too many grizz bears..

Butler Ridge through to Blue Grave: North of Hudson Hope, good area lots of game.

Smoke House Road: West side of Murray > near Moose Lake and Gwillum Lake >> good area, seems to be more white tail deer than east side of river.

South of Tumbler: Good area, fairly limited access when compared to other spots in region.

Kitskatiaw [spelling] River area, north and east of Tumbler..good area more mulies than whiteys...

Good Luck.

bwhnter
03-02-2006, 09:14 AM
First off you don't need to count to ten they can also have 3 points on the brow palm or for an imature bull 2 points or less total on one side. As you pointed out you can count ten points but alot of "points" on a moose paddle don't meet the requirements to actually be a legal point so you have to be very careful. AS for the ingnorant people you mentioned this antler restriction seems to have reduced the number of them as well.

Sikanni Stalker
03-21-2006, 09:01 PM
I have hunted Pink, Tumbler and 101 areas different years on the early season, and have been pretty much alone every time. I agree there are areas that are plugged too.It depends on where you go I guess. it's like fishing on the coast too, you can join the parade but the results are diluted. When I was on the island everyone talked about Pink, so consequently the easy or common areas to get to are plugged. Since moving here I have had lots of chances to check out areas off the beaten path and there are enough spots to go to to avoid the "igs"

Husky7mm
03-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Canuck shooter said it.
Not many shooters left after early september. August way to many people! Great counrty though. Watch for bears.

livingston
03-21-2006, 10:02 PM
My cousin was moose hunting in Tumbler Ridge or Chetwynd cant remember exactly where but they had problems with a group of natives, there camp was ransacked and bunch of stuff ripped off (booze,generator etc.).Sounded like it got fairly intense they had a run in with them after and felt quite threatened and slept in there trucks for a few nights out of camp then brought the Rcmp in.An officer came out with them and there was a bit of a confrontation just about shots fired from the way he told it but it didnt amount to to much and they didnt get anything back.Anyone else had an experiences like that?

300mag
03-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Try tipi (tee-pee) Creek

talver
03-23-2006, 08:49 PM
thanks for the info its greatly apperciated

quadrakid
04-10-2006, 08:29 PM
hey talver i,ve hunted tumbler twice,too hot the first trip a few years ago,only saw two cows.temp was up in the high twenties during the day. second trip a year later saw much cooler temps,saw plenty of critters,didn,t much care for counting tines. moose were coming to the call in third week of sept. stayed at moose lake good spot, i lived in the heart of yukon grizzly country for ten years and saw my share of bears, way more grizz in tumbler country, we saw grizz at least once every two days and more blacks than you can imagine.beatifull country lots of game

talver
04-11-2006, 01:11 PM
thanks for the info quadrakid

ryanhuntslots
04-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Hunted the Sukunka last year, lots of moose, lots of people in the first 40 km, not too many after that. If you go to the back end, around 70 km. hunt in pairs, we had a couple run ins with big furry things with sharp teeth

Husky7mm
04-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Hunted the Sukunka last year, lots of moose, lots of people in the first 40 km, not too many after that. If you go to the back end, around 70 km. hunt in pairs, we had a couple run ins with big furry things with sharp teeth
Yes but did you get a moose?

GoatGuy
04-13-2006, 06:38 PM
There's plenty of moose all the way up. I've been in on two south of Chetwyn (Sukunka area). There are lots of Grizz in that country as there is pretty much everywhere up there. August is a tough time because the bulls don't wander at all. If you head up there in September or October you'll find there aren't many hunters and plenty of game. Little work on your calling will help you when it comes to counting points.;-)