PDA

View Full Version : Moose call devices

Kenworth
03-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Hello all

does anybody here use the "bull magnet" for calling/scraping for moose? it is made in alaska i think

i am new to the forums and nice place :-)

todbartell
03-01-2006, 11:58 AM
is it an electronic call??

Kenworth
03-01-2006, 01:05 PM
No, it is a call mad out of fiberglass. It looks just like a piece of birchbark rolled up. About the same size too. But it makes a better scrapping sound supposedly

todbartell
03-01-2006, 01:12 PM
ahhh sounds good

I have kept an old moose shoulder blade to use for scraping bushes. Sounds very close to antlers, and is much easier to pack! :-D

PGKris
03-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Amen for shoulder blades

3kills
03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
ya shoulder blades work great..and they dont have to be from moose either...however i do imagine a deer one might be a lil two small and not get that sound u need...

rock
03-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Used my own vocals for moose and the biggest stick around, called in moose last year so it seems to work.

youngfellla
03-02-2006, 12:36 AM
and the biggest stick around

Easy now!!!!

MB_Boy
03-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Amen for shoulder blades

Absolutely!! If you are lucky enough you can get a new one every year too! :lol:

Blades and a well constructed birch bark horn for me.

moosecaller
03-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I use an old highway safety cone with the bottom weighted part cut off. It is vertually indestructable and sounds great. As far as scraping goes I find unless you have a big bull draw or you are in an area for big bull it tends to keep the smaller bulls at a distance. A big bull will usually accept the challenge but the little guys keep away so I keep scraping down to a bear minimum I just touch the odd bush to imitate a moose moving through the bush rather than a challenge to all comers.

Gus
03-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey Moosecaller, I agree with your statment, however I do remember a time I called up an immature. I was just using my mouth, which is what got him started intially, but the only way I good bring him up to me was with scraping. This was at a time I was way too young to hunt by myself, and I had just gone for a walk behind my house and thought I would give it a try. He came right in and after i scared him away once, the craping stopped him again, where as the call kept him going.

MB_Boy
03-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I definitely agree with you moosecaller, but you just never know with those guys what will bring them in. I had a good sized bull that I called in with a horn.....got him riled up with blade and I knew he was about 20 feet back in the willows but just would not show himself. I tried once last trick and that was "popping" the wide end of the horn on top of the water to imitate the sound of a moose walkin' along the edge of the swamp and be darned if that didn't get him movin' and out he came.

On a side note....a little trick that has worked for my Dad and I countless times is if you are using a horn or your mouth "cow calling". If you get a bull who just won't quite show himself or perhaps needs a bit of encouragement to turn around and get him coming back your way try passing the horn or letting your partner give a cow call. This has worked for us on a number of occasions. I think a different "pitch" gets them thinkin' he has a shot a "bunch o' ladies". :-D

MB_Boy
03-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I think I may have mentioned this story before, but a friend of our family shot a bull that goes in the top 5 in MB that came into a hatchet banging against tent pegs or something like that while they were setting up camp. "Bang Flop" and first moose down of the hunt and he had one heck of a rack as I got to see it when my Dad did the official scoring. Definitely the big boy lookin' to kick anything and anyone's a$$!!

Kenworth
03-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Funny story. Reminds me of a gentleman in Ontario that unintentialy called in a bull while chainsawing wood. Not kidding here. Think about it - The sound is similar somewhat.

BAAAAAAaaaaa.......................BAAAAAAAaaaaaaa aaaa

moosecaller
03-02-2006, 04:47 PM
I have found that calling like a calf works very well when you have a shy bull in the bush that just won't step out. I have found that most noise that imitates moose going about their business will work once you have a bull interested, stripping leaves off the branches to sounds like feeding, walking breaking a few twigs and branches as long as it sounds natural it will have them curious and keep their attetion long enough to at least get a look at them. I know that during calf season if I call like a cow/ calf pair I will usually get the real cow/ calf to come see what is up, and usualyy ayoung bull who thinks he can drive the calf off and get some action with mom.

ratherbefishin
03-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Having heard ''moose caller'' firsthand ,I suggest he could make ANYTHING sound great.....

bckev
03-17-2006, 03:49 PM
My dad called in a moose one time when the muffler fell off of his truck and he crawled under and started pounding it back on. The moose wouldn't let him get out from underneath. Unfortunately there was no season here at the time.

NEEHAMA
03-17-2006, 05:49 PM
[quote=moosecaller]I use an old highway safety cone with the bottom weighted part cut off. It is vertually indestructable and sounds great.

perfect! i think i would wear one on my head so when i was walking out of the swamp. , i may not get shot at as much, nice and tall and orange!!

elkster
03-18-2006, 02:28 AM
[quote=moosecaller]I use an old highway safety cone with the bottom weighted part cut off. It is vertually indestructable and sounds great.

perfect! i think i would wear one on my head so when i was walking out of the swamp. , i may not get shot at as much, nice and tall and orange!!

If you wear something like that on your head, they may make you go stand in the corner. Ha! Ha!.:-D