PDA

View Full Version : Buying a crossbow??

brandonhunter
02-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi I am really thinking about getting into doing some bow hunting this upcoming season, and am thinking about buying a crossbow. If anyone has any tips for me on certain models that are good or what kind of a crossbow to get, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

rocksteady
02-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Buy a quality rig, from a quality company....

Excalibur, Horton, etc.......Stay away from the "too good to be true" packages..You get what you pay for....

Don't scrimp on the arrows or broadheads...A great crossbow shooting a crap arrow with cheapo broadheads may cause you poor results, which in turn you will probably not enjoy bow hunting as much as you could....

Go to a shop and try different models, find what suits you and the country you will be hunting....

Then:

Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice

sawmill
02-15-2010, 12:30 PM
You shoot an excalibre don`t you Mike?

sawmill
02-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I`m going to get one myself,this winter I rode my hound dog down the basement stairs with an armload of firewood.Busted up my shoulder and there is no way I can draw a compound anymore.
Besides,can`t you shoot 250 yards,one shot kills with a Xbow?I heard they are magical:mrgreen:

rocksteady
02-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Stop spreading rumours Joe !!!!!!:twisted::twisted:

I shoot a Horton Hunter Elite 175 lber....

My reasoning for shooting a Horton (at the time) was that Excalibur did not make a compund crossbow at that time. When I compared the axle to axle measurements of the Horton compound to the Exacali, I had over 4 " inches less bow to stick out and get tangled on the thick stuff...That was almost 10 years ago, and at that time I purchased it off E-Bay from Wisconsin (or somewhere in the US) and got a hell of a package deal......Was about $500 CDN to my door, including the scope, quiver and sling......

mikeinajeep
02-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Brandonhunter if you live in or near surrey you can try my excalibur. I really really like it. If you search crossbow on this site you will find lots of good advise. Someone on here is selling a nice excalibur.

sparky300winmag
02-15-2010, 05:27 PM
My first 6 shots with excalibur i put a bolt right in the end of the other bolt.All i know is excalibur sure is accurate, although my first shot at an animal didn't work out ,but i think thats just me.

My brother killed a nice bull moose with the excalibur last season.Didn't go more than 50yds.Also you can change the string in the field in a few minutes.

brandonhunter
02-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Thank you for that information mikeinajeep, unfortunately I do not live in that area, but I will be sure to search about crossbows on here.

hardnocks
02-15-2010, 06:48 PM
excalibers no good ...bc animals just laugh when shot with one. you have to go state side and shoot them wimpy critters down there.:):-D:mrgreen:

squamishmiles
02-15-2010, 07:29 PM
thats like saying a recurve bow is to wimpy for the animals around here, and they have been around alot longer then the ones with training wheels. lol

brandonhunter
02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all of the information, I ended up buying an excalibur- Ibex x-bow the other day for $700 it included 4 arrows, a mounted scope, and a cocking aid.

Island Rain
02-21-2010, 06:44 PM
I bought an excaliber equinox on Friday, and it's awesome!

mikeinajeep
02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Both of you who just got excaliburs, First good choice, Second take the four screws holding and scope mount to the xbow out and lock tight them. Trust me they will come loose and you will wreck arrows if you don't.

Island Rain
02-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip.