PDA

View Full Version : Early bear

Buckmeister
02-15-2010, 03:14 AM
A friend of mine saw a black bear walking in a field the other day near the valley bottom. I guess the warmer weather is having an affect. I know it's not uncommon for a bear to wake up early and take a short stroll sometimes, but usually they will return to their hide out for some more shut eye. About this time last year, a mama and some cubs were seen for a few days out on one of the runs up at Silver Star Ski resort; as I recall, it was pretty warm then too. April 1st is still a ways away for some bear hunting action here.

BlacktailStalker
02-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Not all go into hibernation either though.
I've been seeing bear tracks all winter (I use that term loosely!)
Even with a warm spring, the cubs dont grow any faster in the den, they're still born at the same time. They still need to be physically mature enough to leave the den with the sow. I dont think that can be sped up.
Be interesting if the bear activity actually does happen earlier, I know I was out "looking" for them right when it was legal to chase them and they were far and few between. I'll be doing the same this year.
Myself, I think the majority are "programmed"
Warm or not, I think they have the same amount of fat stored on them and they wont get up until they need to.

There is a downside to this weather though. Here, its very green everywhere already, buds on trees, grass 6" tall. You wont find them in the same concentrated spots you did last year as food is more plentiful.
Another good thing about it is it was a nice mild winter for the deer, I imagine the big bucks did well.